GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

condensation inside headlights.

subacpw

Ready to race!
i picked up my GTI yesterday, last night while i was out with friends i noticed condensation inside both headlights.

approx. 2x3 inch in front of the blinker. im about 90% sure that shouldn't be happening but im just wondering if anyone else has had that problem?

koolgreen

Ready to race!
nope, never.
maybe a leak in a seal.
perhaps the bulb cover is not seated properly.

one of the clips that kept my cover on was broken some years back and it started forming condensation.
I had to glue the clip back on and it pulled the cover back and it seated properly and it never leaked again.

For a new car though????
Warranty.......

Rumble79

Ready to race!
I noticed this too on my halogen lenses. I didn't think much of it and will be looking out for this issue more often if others are having the same problem. "I demand bi-xenon lenses for replacements!" :lol:

zee

Go Kart Champion
In early September 2009 before the MK6 launched in Canada, there were a few MK6 GTIs parked outside overnight at VWoC headoffice in east Toronto. They all had condensation inside the Xenon headlights.

Canadian VW GTI owners manual booket 3.1 pg 69 says it is normal if temporary and will clear up within a short time when the headlight have been turned on.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Canadian VW GTI owners manual booket 3.1 pg 69 says it is normal if temporary and will clear up within a short time when the headlight have been turned on.

Sounds fishy

"Oh shiza, we have faulty seals in zeh headlight houzing, quick, call zeh owners manual people and tell zem to make an edit saying zat it is normal to have moisture in zeh houzing" <-- German dialect

zee

Go Kart Champion
bubuski > Always has very useful information! Thanks man!

ohh, I was worried too. I had seen the pictures of the xenon headlights with condensation last year before I picked up mine...so it was one of the first things I went looking for in the owners manual after I got my car.

boofer

isn't this a problem with many VWs and Audis? just in general, i see so many of them with headlights or taillights out. condensation on the inside --> condensation on bulb --> light goes out.

carbon

Ready to race!
isn't this a problem with many VWs and Audis? just in general, i see so many of them with headlights or taillights out. condensation on the inside --> condensation on bulb --> light goes out.

This happens to Mercedes-Benz and BMW as well. It's not just a VW/Audi thing.
To be honest, I see more Benz with their Bi-xenon far more often. Those Benz are all pretty new 2007-2010 models too, from C class to CLS.

762x51

168gr BTHP
Completely normal and disappears in about 4-5 days. Happened on my MkVI, and the same thing on my 2008 R32 when I picked it up. It's normal according to VW.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
Normal? I guess so...looks like crap though and I just bought my GTI and its doing it! So no warranty fix if its normal???

jkilla1

Ready to race!
my left taillight had condensation made an appointment and they replaced it. I got a car wash two days ago and BAM condensation =] I'm too lazy to go to the dealership again. Everytime I go its a new ding.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
my left taillight had condensation made an appointment and they replaced it. I got a car wash two days ago and BAM condensation =] I'm too lazy to go to the dealership again. Everytime I go its a new ding.

So they replaced it with a new light and it came back? Now what?