GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A/C stopped working!!!!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
'12 VW GTI ---
Just this afternoon, the damn AC system decides to crap out on me. The air coming from the vent was noticeably warm. The outside temp was around 89* and of course my car was parked in the sun all day. Other times, it would take less than 2-3 minutes for the car cabin to cool once I get in and start driving. I'm taking it to the dealership to have them take at look at it tomorrow. Anyone else had this issue?

UPDATE:
After taking the car in for diagnostic, the VW tech found that the refrigerant hose had a hole in it due to the abrasion of the clamp? It is the one leading into the A/C compressor. In other words, all the freon leaked out. The part was ordered but I won't be able to get it fixed until Saturday morning due to my work schedule. Bummer. Yes, two more freakin days of driving around without A/C in 90* heat.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Did you try moving the temperature setting all the way up and then all the way down again?

I know that there was a heating issue that affected a lot of cars this winter I wonder if that same blend door affects cooling in the summer.

m0oZ1

Passed Driver's Ed
There is always a chance of getting a bad compressor or condenser. It happened in my MK5 within the first 5k miles. They replaced the compressor and it's been 6 years and no other issues.

Shite happens...

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
maxtdi, I will try that out to see if it helps.

mOoz, I'm not worried about it. I just hate driving around with the windows down....especially for a new car.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Stuff always happens when it is either really Hot or cold. It will be hot the rest of the week in the Carolina's. But at least you will get it taken care of in the beginning of the season.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'm hoping they will be able to figure out what's wrong with it. I don't plan to be there (at the dealership) the entire day waiting either.

Blaylock1988

Ready to race!
From my experience with blend doors, never blast the air on max in the middle temperature, only blast it at full cold or full hot. Your blend door actuator will thank you.

Dunno if that was the problem though, but its possible.

Rascal

Ready to race!
Which dealership you going to?

ilovebrunch

Ready to race!
Did you do any coding or wiring? Look and see if the lights around the temp gauges work, I had a fuse go out and thought my ac was broke at first.

Pegasus1

I've had a similar issue. I left my car parked at the airport for two weeks. When I got back to it, it was covered in snow and ice, I let it melt for 20 mins and I drove another 10 to the hotel I was staying at. Over night the melted snow/ice refroze over my blower. Luckily I was bringing it in for service that same day so they let it thaw out in the garage and swapped it out.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Rascal, I'm taking it to Keffer, where I bought it from.

I haven't done any coding or wiring. The interior is stock. My guess is either a bad relay or compressor. Whatever it is, I will keep you guys posted.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
I bought my car a few weeks ago only to find my A/C did not work. The compressor simply did not engage. I took it to my dealership who fixed it under warranty. Their explanation was a little weird, but who am I to argue –they fixed it. They told me the A/C system contains a lubricant. If too much “oil” is in the system, it can enter the compressor and in effect “hydrolock” that little piston. Nothing bent or broke because the compressor has a safety feature that automatically shuts it off to protect it. That is why the compressor did not turn on. The remedy was to completely evacuate the entire refrigerant from the system. That somehow removed the oil. Then they refilled the system and made sure the level of lubricant was correct to avoid future problems. My A/C works perfectly now. I’d be very curious to learn why your A/C stopped working.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Rascal, I'm taking it to Keffer, where I bought it from.

I haven't done any coding or wiring. The interior is stock. My guess is either a bad relay or compressor. Whatever it is, I will keep you guys posted.

If you have any problems at Keffer, I would take it to VW South Charlotte. John is a good service advisor down there.

I hope you get this taken care of without any issues!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If you have any problems at Keffer, I would take it to VW South Charlotte. John is a good service advisor down there.

I hope you get this taken care of without any issues!

I'm hoping they will be able to take care of it today. I'm not in the mood to hear the typical "oh we have to order that part and it will take a week but we don't have any loaner cars right now". If they give me this BS, I'm going head down to VW South Charlotte thereafter.

Baldeagle, does your A/C feel much colder now after that was done?