GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lightweight Battery Mount/Instal

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Forum friends,

Here's a quick and easy way to mount up a lightweight battery in the GTI.

I chose the "Extreme Magna Crank" battery from Advance Auto Parts. Its relabeled ETX16L Deka. In fact, its model is the ETX16L as well. Its a 17lb 325CCA battery and so is suitable for daily street use even through the winter. It cost $90 and has a year replacement warranty at any Advance Auto which is really convenient. www.etx16l.com

A cool bonus of using this size battery is that it fits perfectly into the back of the stock battery tray. All it needs is a way to secure it.

Parts:
Deka ETXL battery (from Advance Auto Parts)
M6 to SAE battery terminal adapters (from Batteries Plus)
(2) 1/4-20 5" long carriage bolts
(2) 3/8" washers
(6) nylon 1" spacers
(1) 8" bracket from the hinge section
(2) 1/4" washers
(2) 1/4" lock washers
(2) 1/4-20 wing nuts

First, remove the stock battery and the stock battery tray. There are three screws that hold the tray in.

On the bottom there is a piece of foam

Use a couple screw drivers to pop the holder things off and remove the foam.

Next, you need to drill two holes for the bolts. You want them positioned so that the bolts with the spacers are snug against the battery. They're at an angle due to the hole spacing of the bracket.

Put the carriage bolts through the 3/8 washers and through the bottom of the tray.

Reinstall the foam with the holder clip things. I used a 13mm socket to press down over the clip to secure them.

Install the battery post adapters onto the battery terminals using the included screws. Using some locktite on the screw threads is a good idea.

Set the battery in place for the mock up. Add the spacers (i only used two per bolt, but three would be better). Then the bracket, 1/4" washers, lock washers, wing nuts.

Take the battery back out, but leave the bolts in it. The foam will hold the bolts in place. Reinstall the battery tray in the car just like stock. Set the battery in place and secure it down with the spacers, bracket, washers, and wingnuts.

Reinstall the power and ground cables to the terminals. The stock terminal clamps are very tight on the SAE posts. I widened them up with a screw driver and then tapped them on with a wrench.

Good to go!

JewFro

Ready to race!
Looks very well done.

Is there any movement with the diagonal hold down?
How much does the stock battery weigh?

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Looks very well done.

Is there any movement with the diagonal hold down?
How much does the stock battery weigh?

It seems pretty darn secure. While it was mocked up to the tray but off the car i shook it all around, swung it upside down, etc. Didn't budge. I'll be tracking the car with this setup so it has to be safe. Its also secured in all three axis which is a requirement.

Stock battery weighs 35.2 lbs. I forgot to weigh ETX16L, but its claimed to be 17lbs and i've read they weigh in at like 16lb. So 18-19lbs of savings.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Nice !!

I did it almost the same way. I just used a a ETX14 (which is little small for winter)
and a stiffer alloy bar on top.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
The mount held up great at the autox yesterday. woot.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I was out of town and the car sat for a week. Started right up like a champ. I'm going to completely forget i even have this thing, nice.

Quoddy

Ready to race!
I went with a 11# CF Braille battery and Braille mount. Took less than 10 minutes to install using 3 machine screws. It's about a full year old now and made it through the winter here on the Vermont border without a problem.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
VW Polo GTI (6R) and platform mate Seat Ibiza FR have the battery located in the rear:

In Europe these parts are easily available and below 100,-- €. Sadly R32 (also rear located)
wiring and fuse box are extremely expensive. So I'd go with DIY wiring and bolted diesel fuse.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
^that is awesome!!!

junker1

Ready to race!
I went with a 11# CF Braille battery and Braille mount. Took less than 10 minutes to install using 3 machine screws. It's about a full year old now and made it through the winter here on the Vermont border without a problem.

Is that Di-Noc CF vinyl wrap? :confused:

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
As an update, i haven't touched the battery since the original install and its been working like a champ. The mount has held up through several autoxes and track days. It's never failed to crank or start.

Woot.

GP813

Ready to race!
I'm gonna have I grab one of these setups when my factory battery goes kaput. That's a decent weight saving!

oempls

Go Kart Champion

That is a clean setup, might end up going this route. Any issues with the install? How long have you been running it?

I am not sure how I'd feel about mounting one fo the other batteries on their side regardless of whether they are sealed or not.

Last edited:

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
These are motorcycle/ATV/jetski batteries. They're totally sealed, waterproof, vibe proof, and can be mounted in any orientation. They're tough.