GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Owners in Quebec - Exhaust laws

arthnox

Ready to race!
Hello Quebec owners,

I am starting to shop for a full turboback exhaust systems but I am afraid about the current legislations in place and how they will evolve.

Currently, if the exhaust system is modified in any way, shape or form, they have the right to pull you over. They normally run a few tests and give you a ticket (200-250$). I would like to modify the exhaust but would like to stay pretty low on the radar.

Any Quebec owners that have modified exhausts on their GTIs? What have been your experience and what did you buy?

All in all I am looking for something quiet when cruising to avoid problems but I wouldn't mind a bit of noise when in WOT mode.

Thanks

Deaks2

Ready to race!
When I lived in QC I did plenty of mods to cars, however, I only touched the catback of one car for these reasons. In Montreal there was one cop in particular who was an "exhaust expert".

Celica GT - TRD catback - ticketed
Taurus SHO - stock " (did y-pipe)
RSX-S - stock " (did header)
Legacy GT - stock " (did downpipe)
GTI - stock " (did downpipe)

arthnox

Ready to race!
so if I want to do stage II in quebec, I should change the downpipe and leave it at that if I want to avoid cops?

I know the downpipe is the only "required" part of the exhaust for Stage II but how much would it hinder performance to leave the exhaust system stock save for the downpipe?

arthnox

Ready to race!
that's the one I was looking at actually...love the sound and it doesnt seem too loud but I dont know if its worth the risk..

you're in the montreal area??

Sales@Unitronic

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Hello Quebec owners,

I am starting to shop for a full turboback exhaust systems but I am afraid about the current legislations in place and how they will evolve.

Currently, if the exhaust system is modified in any way, shape or form, they have the right to pull you over. They normally run a few tests and give you a ticket (200-250$). I would like to modify the exhaust but would like to stay pretty low on the radar.

Any Quebec owners that have modified exhausts on their GTIs? What have been your experience and what did you buy?

All in all I am looking for something quiet when cruising to avoid problems but I wouldn't mind a bit of noise when in WOT mode.

Thanks

We're actually from Quebec (located in Laval) and are in the process of releasing our Exhausts in the next 4 weeks! Seeing as the law is a grey area (nothing specifically says its illegal to modify your exhaust system as long as all of the original components are present) we will be manufacturing exhausts that will have options to comply with the basics of the current legislation in Quebec regarding exhausts.

Having said that, since the law in Quebec is such a grey zone, we can't guarantee no tickets as there are certain police officers that tempt to push the grey zone of the law to its outer extreme limit, while we try to go the other way. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll do my best to help!

Stay tuned for our Exhaust Launch!

Deaks2

Ready to race!
A literal reading of the Code de la sécurité routière du Québec:
258. Tout véhicule automobile doit être muni d'un système d'échappement conforme aux normes établies par règlement.

1986, c. 91, a. 258.

259. Nul ne peut vendre ou mettre en vente, en vue de son utilisation sur un chemin public, un système d'échappement qui n'est pas conforme aux normes établies par règlement.

1986, c. 91, a. 259.

260. Nul ne peut effectuer ou faire effectuer sur un véhicule automobile une opération permettant de supprimer ou de réduire l'efficacité du système d'échappement de ce véhicule.

1986, c. 91, a. 260.

621. Le gouvernement peut, par règlement:

1° établir les conditions pour l'apposition, par la Société, d'un numéro d'identification sur un véhicule routier;

2° établir des normes de fabrication, de vente, d'installation et d'utilisation des phares antibrouillards, des systèmes d'échappement, des pneus et des casques protecteurs;
So the Act says that the Government has the right to regluate exhaust systems.

Here are the regs:
NORMES ÉTABLIES PAR RÈGLEMENT DE SÉCURITÉ DES VÉHICULES ROUTIERS -

Système d'échappement décret 1483-98

Chapitre II section III articles: 91, 92, 93, 94, 95

91. Le système d'échappement doit comporter ses éléments notamment le collecteur, les tuyaux, le silencieux, les supports et les attaches. Les éléments du système d'échappement doivent être solidement retenus aux points de fixation et aucun élément ne doit présenter de fuite de gaz aux raccords ou provenant de fissures ou de trous autres que ceux prévus lors de la fabrication du système d'échappement pour l'évacuation de la condensation par le fabricant du système d'échappement. Toute réparation sur l'un de ces éléments doit lui conserver les mêmes caractéristiques que celles existant lors de sa fabrication.

92. Aucun élément du système d'échappement ne doit passer à moins de 50 mm d'un autre élément, tels une pièce en matériau combustible, un fil électrique, une canalisation de carburant ou de frein ou un réservoir de carburant, qui n'est pas protégé par un écran approprié contre la chaleur. Dans le cas des canalisations de carburant sous pression, de types GNC et GPL, cette distance minimale doit être de 150 mm. De plus, aucune matière inflammable ne doit dégoutter sur un élément du système d'échappement.

93. Lorsqu'un élément du système d'échappement est localisé à proximité d'une porte d'accès de l'habitacle, cet élément doit être recouvert d'une structure protectrice s'il y a un risque de brûlure pour la personne qui y a accès.

94. Aucun élément du système d'échappement ne doit être remplacé, modifié ou enlevé de manière à rendre le système plus bruyant que celui installé lors de la fabrication du véhicule routier par le fabricant.

95. Aucun des éléments du système d'échappement ne doit traverser l'habitacle. La sortie du tuyau d'échappement ne doit pas être située sous l'espace réservé aux occupants et aux bagages. De plus, la sortie doit être située derrière toute vitre latérale pouvant s'ouvrir et le tuyau ne doit pas excéder horizontalement le véhicule routier de plus 15 cm.
The regs say that any change to the OE design, or any increase in sound compared to OE is illegal.

It's not gray, it is black and white.

Sales@Unitronic

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
A literal reading of the Code de la sécurité routière du Québec:

So the Act says that the Government has the right to regluate exhaust systems.

Here are the regs:

The regs say that any change to the OE design, or any increase in sound compared to OE is illegal.

It's not gray, it is black and white.

The issue is in how they can provide information in a court of law on how your exhaust system is louder than OEM. Seeing as the police are not equipped with Decibel meters or any instrument to measure how "loud" someone's exhaust is, it is difficult to prove. This is what I meant by grey area.

In any case, like I mentioned earlier, there is no exhaust other than the OEM exhaust that is 100% guaranteed to not get you a ticket in Quebec. If you modify your exhaust system in Quebec, be aware that a $150 ticket is a risk that could occur. Having said that, our ultimate goal is to make the highest quality piece with the best power gains when combined with our software. Conforming 100% to the laws in Quebec is difficult if not impossible unless your running a full OEM exhaust, however, by using all of the OEM components, we are making an effort to get as close to the law as possible while keeping our goal in mind.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
The issue is in how they can provide information in a court of law on how your exhaust system is louder than OEM. Seeing as the police are not equipped with Decibel meters or any instrument to measure how "loud" someone's exhaust is, it is difficult to prove. This is what I meant by grey area.
Agreed, however, if your exhaust is not OE the onus now falls to the defendant to prove that their non-OE exhaust meets the regulations. The burden of proof is no longer on the Crown.

Maybe with the new motorcycle sounds restrictions I believe we will see empirical data with a set limit, like 95 dB in CA, implemented in QC.
In any case, like I mentioned earlier, there is no exhaust other than the OEM exhaust that is 100% guaranteed to not get you a ticket in Quebec. If you modify your exhaust system in Quebec, be aware that a $150 ticket is a risk that could occur. Having said that, our ultimate goal is to make the highest quality piece with the best power gains when combined with our software. Conforming 100% to the laws in Quebec is difficult if not impossible unless your running a full OEM exhaust, however, by using all of the OEM components, we are making an effort to get as close to the law as possible while keeping our goal in mind.
True. I had friends with SRT4's and MS3's who had stock exhausts who got tickets because of the lack of baffles.

Sales@Unitronic

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Maybe with the new motorcycle sounds restrictions I believe we will see empirical data with a set limit, like 95 dB in CA, implemented in QC.

True. I had friends with SRT4's and MS3's who had stock exhausts who got tickets because of the lack of baffles.

This is what's needed here in Quebec as it would put a hard-line limit for everyone to meet. We would finally be able to make an exhaust that would be 100% legal that you could ride around with without being worried.

I've also had a few friends that received tickets on their OEM exhaust equipped AMG, Speed's and Coballt SS...this would put an end to OEM exhaust tickets at the very least which would be a step in the right direction.

CarbonMK6GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an APR downpipe with a custom magnaflow cat, got nothing but a cat and a resonator on my catback with no mufflers and K04. No problem from cops whatsoever and at wot it is LOUD.