GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
OverTimer
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 13 PG GLI Autobahn DSG
Send a message via Yahoo to OverTimer
My 20" 29er fits. You could probably even fit a 22" 29er. But after having racks shoving things in the boot makes no sense to me.
OverTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #16
11blueGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Shadow Blue DSG GTI
The GTI has a ton more room than my Scion tC and I could fit an Electra Cruiser with basket in there. It was a tight fit, but it fit. I am sure I could fit a mountain bike. May have to remove the wheels, but I am sure it will fit
Old 05-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
sebage
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: MKVI GTI
Yes - easily get two road bikes in the back. Front wheels removed.

No extra noise or loss of MPG associated with a roof rack either! Just watch out for the paint and trim....
sebage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
NTT5418
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI 6MT
I haul my mountain bike back and forth to college with the front tire still attached. The front seat becomes basically unusable if you're over 5 foot though
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
John224
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 Candy white GTI
this is how I carry mine...bought the hitch from etrailer and installed it myself. pretty cheap and easy mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).JPG
Views:	760
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	20810  
John224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
MrMke
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW MK6 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by John224 View Post
this is how I carry mine...bought the hitch from etrailer and installed it myself. pretty cheap and easy mod.
Nice! How stable is the bike when driving?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
tardman91
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 Golf
It depends on how big your bike is. I can fit my XL frame road bike in the back with the front wheel removed, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. I got a roof rack and I'm much happier with it.
tardman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
dustinouch
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI CSG
It's a pain for sure but with the front wheel removed I can fit my bike in even with the Unibrace XB

“Good equipment ain’t cheap, and cheap equipment ain’t good.”
dustinouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
D Griff
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: POORVETTE
It'll fit, I'm 6'2" and my road bike which is actually slightly large for me fits, my mountain bike is a little smaller. That said I have to take the front wheen off of either, and bikes actually fit better in my old Civic coupe. I don't often do this though, as I really don't want to screw up my nice GTI interlagos interior! I might try the visquine plastic sheet method mentioned earlier, it sounds pretty convenient. I have a thule rack I could put on this car, but after having one on the Civic, I know it's not my favorite solution.
D Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
desmat
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf TDI Highline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrad26 View Post
yeah my road bike fits in there with the back seats down and the front wheel off
Same here. I even put 2 road bikes or 2 mountain bikes with the front wheels off and stacked on top of the bikes. I put a blanket between each layer

I find it more quieter than a roof rack but of course, you have more chances to scratch the interior...
desmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #25
John224
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMke View Post
Nice! How stable is the bike when driving?
It's really stable. That rack is by far one of the cheapest rack yet it is one of the lightest. The stability comes from the bike being held down by the attahment on the top tube. My friend has the same setup and he was using a Thule T2 rack until he saw mine. He sold his T2 in favor of this lightweight rack. There is a thread on his subject over at mtbr.com in the car forum.

I was able to fit my road bike (56) in the trunk with the seats Folded down before I could install my hitch. All I had to do was remove the front wheel.

Hope it helps
John

Last edited by John224; 05-23-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
Ahddallas
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: '12 4dr Autobahn DSG Black Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by John224 View Post
It's really stable. That rack is by far one of the cheapest rack yet it is one of the lightest. The stability comes from the bike being held down by the attahment on the top tube. My friend has the same setup and he was using a Thule T2 rack until he saw mine. He sold his T2 in favor of this lightweight rack. There is a thread on his subject over at mtbr.com in the car forum.

I was able to fit my road bike (56) in the trunk with the seats Folded down before I could install my hitch. All I had to do was remove the front wheel.

Hope it helps
John
Thanks for sharing. I was considering a roof rack but I like your setup. Is yours the Swagman XTC-2 model?
Ahddallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
johnny_p
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
The road bike is a 58 cm.
Mountain bike is a 19" 29er.
The fixie is a 55 cm.

Both the road and mountain bikes fit with the front wheels off and no adjustments to the front seats. The fixie I need to pull the passenger seat forward but it works with wheels on.

Just remember if you're leaving a bike in there while you're at work or whatever to let air out of your tires! Otherwise you'll pop them, as the heat inside the car will increase the pressure dramatically in the tube.

I actually do still drive a MK6
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #28
John224
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahddallas View Post
Thanks for sharing. I was considering a roof rack but I like your setup. Is yours the Swagman XTC-2 model?
My rack is the hollywood rack, but I think it is the exact same one as the Swagman XTC-2 from etrailer. I had a roof rack on my previous car and I hated it...so freaking loud! and a pain in the a$$ to put the bikes on and off, removing the wheels etc... the new rack has the option to put an integrated cable that uses the same key as the hitch lock...