GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Collar Kit

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I'm one for improving our suspension options on our MK6 GTIs. I go nuts replacing the majority of the subframe bolts everytime my subframe was dropped with the Audi bolts and shims to stop the subframe clunking and correct the slop.

From the look of it, this will be the complete solution for our cars. Looking for anyone who has tried this kit to produce a review. Would love to test this kit and provide feedback after track use.

http://www.tyrolsport.com/index.php?p=product&id=411&mobile=0

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for sharing,very interesting stuff.

$200 bucks? No thank you!

zhijjawi10

Go Kart Champion
If my ECS spacer kit doesn't permanently fix the creaking, then Im gonna say fuck it and buy these. I hate that damn noise.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
So once you remove the subframe, it'll clunk when bolted back up???

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
So once you remove the subframe, it'll clunk when bolted back up???

No no, what I meant was that some people experience subframe clunking when turning the wheel.
Some have had success using the Audi bolts and shims / spacers but some have not.
Since the subframe bolts are stretch bolts, I found myself replacing them each time the subframe was dropped (clutch, FSB)

iliftthings

Ready to race!
How many miles are you guys on that are experiencing the clunking? It only took about 15k on my MkV and my MkVI has about 17k on it with no issues.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
do these need replacing once placed, if you have to drop the subframe again?

Direct response from Greg @ TyrolSport

“To answer your question regarding the dead set subframe collars..
The ARP bolts supplied in our kit may be re used, as well as the collars. Providing you visual inspect the collars for unusual wear.
The OEM bolts used in the front of the subframe as well as the control arm mounts, should always be replaced as they stretch.
We are working to offer replacements for these as well.”

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Upon my APR Front Sway Install, I reused every bolt minus the two rear bolts which were replaced with ECS's kit. The two rear are the only TTY Bolts in the system, or at least they are on my car. The rest are standard Metric Bolts with no yielding charcateristics and hit the 70NM +90* spec perfectly with no issues. That was almost 5K miles ago with rigorous driving and not a single issue has been seen.
- Steering rack bolts
- Supplied APR Sway mount bolts
- Front position and middle position Subframe Bolts

HOWEVER, I've heard of instances were subframe accuracy is actually off causing the ECS spacer kit to not work effectively. This instance requires these machine bushings to take up the slack in the system and provide for a rigid joint. SPOON sells this same kit as well, its probably the same supplier or knock off.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I had the spacer kit installed for over 15k on my other car. Went away instantly and never came back

Mike@TyrolSport

Ready to race!
HOWEVER, I've heard of instances were subframe accuracy is actually off causing the ECS spacer kit to not work effectively. This instance requires these machine bushings to take up the slack in the system and provide for a rigid joint. SPOON sells this same kit as well, its probably the same supplier or knock off.

This is correct. The factory shim kit does work in some instances, but our experience has shown us that it is not a long-term solution for cars that are driven aggressively. The concept is indeed the same as the SPOON kit. However, we have changed the material to 954 Bronze Alloy which works better, we have tightened the sizing specification, we have improved the hardware, and we have everything manufactured in the USA. :burnrubber: