GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
O-III
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2015 PW GTI 5DR DSG
Just happened to me yesterday. Started car in the morning, and see "ESP error" in the dash display, then disappeared. A bit worried but drove off carefully. About 15 minutes later in bumper-to-bumper traffic, car stalls. Try to restart, nothing - won't even crank. Put on four-ways, turn off all accessories. Remove key, reinsert, car starts fine. Weird; will check for error codes with VCDS later today. Car completely stock, never had a single issue before.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Blackie
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
have you guys noticed when this happens that the steering wheel is unlocked? i think to prevent it , usually you have to jiggle the wheel a bit when turning it on, maybe we just have to make sure it locks when we turn the car off?
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
nik
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 CSG 6spd GTI 4DR
My 11's did this a few times... though it turned over on the second go. nothing with the '12 (knock on wood) and I see that all but one of you have '11s. Me thinks something to do with a bad batch of parts or coding for that model year.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
AXO
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI Candy White
This happened to me this morning. I let the car sit for about 5 minutes. It restarted no problems. No more error, drives fine. I am hoping it is a fluke. Sometimes software gets corrupt and you get an error.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
stynker
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
I had this happen to me tonight after I swapped out the stock shifter for the S3 short shifter. Originally tried to remove the battery so I'd have more room to work, but realized I didn't need to after I disconnected the wires. ESP Error popped up right when I started the car but went away as I was pulling out of the driveway for a test drive. Chalk it up to antitheft maybe?
stynker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #20
UNFORGIVABLE
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Black Mk6 GTI, and Mk5 Rabbit
Same, It happened alot when I had my spyder headlights and tailights.
UNFORGIVABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #21
PRND[S]
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: LSG 2015 Golf R / APR Stage 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stynker View Post
I had this happen to me tonight after I swapped out the stock shifter for the S3 short shifter. Originally tried to remove the battery so I'd have more room to work, but realized I didn't need to after I disconnected the wires. ESP Error popped up right when I started the car but went away as I was pulling out of the driveway for a test drive. Chalk it up to antitheft maybe?
The car needed to relearn the steering wheel adaptations.
PRND[S] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Fordson
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 SB 4door MT GTI - Autobahn
Notice how these are all 2011 and one 2010? I think there was a steering column module reflash or some such that was available for these cars. I thought it was confined to cars like mine with KESSY, but maybe not so - ?

Have the dealer run your VINs...I think there was a campaign.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
Sethdude
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2016 Sportwagen SE TSI, 1984 GTI
My 2012 had the steering column module fault code earlier this week when I had a coil go bad. I just cleared it, as it has not been giving me any trouble. So I'm not sure it's exclusive to 2010-2011 MY cars.
Sethdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
JhnR
Banned

Drives: Lemon mk6 GTI
I had this problem, turned out to be my battery
JhnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #25
aw614
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordson View Post
Notice how these are all 2011 and one 2010? I think there was a steering column module reflash or some such that was available for these cars. I thought it was confined to cars like mine with KESSY, but maybe not so - ?

Have the dealer run your VINs...I think there was a campaign.
I have a base model 2011, and I've had it happen twice recently, I can't replicate the error though. It happened last week on me at pepboys after I went to pick up a part and between 15 minutes it stalled out on me with the ESP error, started again and it started without issue. Really odd
aw614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #26
Jason3d
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhnR View Post
I had this problem, turned out to be my battery
Same here.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #27
dimonic

Drives: VW Golfwagen TDI
Problem over 3 years, always when driving

In our 3rd month of our 2011 TDI, it happened when driving in a suburban area - engine power died. We had it towed to a dealership, supposedly repaired. Then again at about 6 months - ESP error. Then this weekend, it died with ESP error a total of 7 times during the snowstorm. I remember the first time was a drizzly day - so perhaps moisture is a common factor. This morning it was cold and dry, and I drove into work without a stall.

In my case, it takes about 5 minutes before it will start again. In this area it is a significant safety issue what with having one of the busiest stretches of highway in North America as my daily commute. Tow trucks descended on me like vultures each time I drifted to a stop on the shoulder.

I am taking it in tomorrow. It is at 89,000 km, and the warranty is only 80,000. I am going to press the fact that it was supposedly repaired twice for the same fault when under warranty, so this is their problem.

Last edited by dimonic; 12-16-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Additional details.
dimonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #28
rx4brdm
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI Shadow Blue 6 Speed
Sorry to revive a dead thread but when I try to turn the car on the lights flash on dash and headlights but the car won't start...

Then the ESP
rx4brdm is offline   Reply With Quote