GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Wheel Weights

krische

vdubber in training
Does anyone know the weights of the wheels you can get on the GTI from VW?

17" Denver:
18" Topas:
18" Karthoum:
18" Detroit:

siagolf

Ready to race!
From WhiteJames, a fellow forum member who's very knowledgeable about wheels and suspension:

Denver 17" - 23-24lbs.
Huff/Detroit 18" - 28-29lbs.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
If I remember correctly -

17" Denver = 24lbs.
18" Detroit/Huffenstein = 29lbs.
18" Karthoum = 28lbs
18" Topas = ???

krische

vdubber in training
Thanks. It seems like going with a nice, light wheel could save a good 30-35 pounds.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. It seems like going with a nice, light wheel could save a good 30-35 pounds.

Unsprung weight actually counts for more than just the weight saved... it's rotational mass saved. So better acceleration, braking and cornering is gained! :w00t:

I'm going with 20lbs 18" wheels, saving me about 4lbs per wheel from my Denvers. If I stuck with 17" I could've saved a lot more.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Holy crap the Detroits are almost 30 lbs each??

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
This is why I like the RPF1 so much.

RPF1s contain so much win with right offset.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Wow!

I am surprised by the weight of the Detroits. :eek:

I need to think about the summer wheels idea again.:23:

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
This is why I got Denvers to start :)

Anybody have wheel WIDTHS for stock wheels? Including the optional wheels. I'm pretty sure they're all 17x7.5, 17x8, and 18x8 but I'm not positive. Only really matters for autox...

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
No offense, but I'd take the weight of the Detroit 18s over any 17" wheel (too small IMHO).

Besides, there are plenty of light weight 18s and 19s that you don't need to do 17s to be light.

panthrax

Passed Driver's Ed
are you serious?? are the stock 18s really 12kg per corner? oz wheels are only 8kg per 18x8.. thats sucha big gap.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, only because I wouldn't want the 17" Denvers for the cost savings.

I'm leaning toward a light weight 18" wheel for summer use. It's 20 lbs, 18x8.

THE ORIGINAL huffs made by BBS in 2005-2007 weighed 29 lbs. Since 2008 the huff or detroit wheel is made by Ronal and should be no more than 26 lbs...

search in golfmkv... there have been a couple of threads in regards Ronal/ BBS weights