GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #57
Nevadabob

Drives: 94 E320 wagon
Hello all,
If anybody has any questions I am more than happy to answer and clarify for anyone that emails. You can email me from the blog that Baldeagle provided. I have worked on the FSI 2.0 issue in depth as a technical advisor for BG and 7 years with Audi helps with that.
Nevadabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
D Griff
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: POORVETTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
so uh, riddle me this... how is this BG stuff supposed to work if you dump it into the gas tank since its a DIRECT INJECTION ENGINE??
This.

I'm glad you got it taken care of under warranty!
D Griff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #59
plac

Drives:
i loved that BG stuff back in the 90's. Used it on all my cars. And my first private shop I worked at starting at age 15 used it exclusively.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #60
Carbon Steel
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Carbon Steel Gray 2010 GTI (6/1/10)
An extremely informative webinar at The link provided by Bald-eagle.

Seems like there is more maintenance required than a 10K oil change.

2010 CSG GTI, 18" Detroits W/Summer Tires, Autobahn Package, DSG,RNS510 Touch Screen Nav, GTI Mat Kit,
2013 Red Turbo Beetle, Sun, Sound and Navigation, Red and Black Leather interior
Carbon Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #61
tracyface1999

Drives: 2010 VW CC
Please help me with VWoA Complaint regarding Carbon build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotch View Post
I had this problem around 42K miles and the dealer refused to cover it under powertrain. I filed a complaint with VWoA and they ended up covering the repair ($980). If they won't cover it, open up a case with VWoA. Its worth the fight.
My car is at 44K and the dealer wont cover the cleaning ( $600).
Can you PM me with details on how you got VWoA to cover?

Thanks!
tracyface1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #62
Chuck2001
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 Black GTI 4DR DSG ALL-IN
Can carbon build up can cause CEL ?

I have to go to dealership because mine is ON right now. Everything's fine, no error display, power is good, and gas cap is fine (non-modded car).

Since they change the mechatronic, the car goes fine, but there was a CEL before the Mecha.

It was ok for couple of days, and the CEL came on. It came off couple of days after...etc... Now it seems on all the time.

I wonder if it could be carbon build-up ? My GF now works in town, so she drives only in urban area during the week...

Thanks,
Chuck2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #63
Rascal
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck2001 View Post
Can carbon build up can cause CEL ?

I have to go to dealership because mine is ON right now. Everything's fine, no error display, power is good, and gas cap is fine (non-modded car).

Since they change the mechatronic, the car goes fine, but there was a CEL before the Mecha.

It was ok for couple of days, and the CEL came on. It came off couple of days after...etc... Now it seems on all the time.

I wonder if it could be carbon build-up ? My GF now works in town, so she drives only in urban area during the week...

Thanks,
Highly unlikely it is carbon buildup. Possibly intake manifold. At least it was in my case. Car operated fine but was throwing codes.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #64
barische
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: GTI mk6
u all talking about IV drip cleaning service.. Sounds pretty same as seafoam but with different solution. Why dont you try seafoam drip first urself. I and many other have done it without any issues. some are against it and some are for it. Do ur research as there is plenty of information regarding.
barische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #65
bluetrep
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 Sunroof/Nav
you need to drive aggressively to prevent carbon build up. high RPM removes the carbon.
bluetrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #66
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrep View Post
you need to drive aggressively to prevent carbon build up. high RPM removes the carbon.
Not so much the RPM but the temperature. Running hot will help the burn off the cake-on stuff(think self-cleaning oven). Running it high load normally also will reduce the build up formation as it has less unburnt carbon in the exhaust...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #67
raaalph
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrep View Post
The "Italian tune up" doesn't prevent all carbon buildup on our DI engines. Check out this thread for more info: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=146579
raaalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #68
zippy88
Autocross Newbie

Drives: '12 CW GTI 5dr 6mt
Toyota's solution is to use 2 injectors per cylinder one direct and one port, they call it D4-S.

Without injecting gas before the valves, there isn't much you can do to prevent this. I'm sure these car manufacturers have tried everything and the best they can come up with is a complex and (probably expensive) dual injection system.

Best thing to do is just accept a valve cleaning as part of regular maintenance (like a DSG service).
zippy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #69
DaveSTR
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 STi / 2014 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy88 View Post
Toyota's solution is to use 2 injectors per cylinder one direct and one port, they call it D4-S.

Without injecting gas before the valves, there isn't much you can do to prevent this. I'm sure these car manufacturers have tried everything and the best they can come up with is a complex and (probably expensive) dual injection system.

Best thing to do is just accept a valve cleaning as part of regular maintenance (like a DSG service).
This- as its only a matter of when, not if you will need to have the valves manually cleaned completely. 45-60k miles or 4-6 yrs.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #70
project92raddoslc
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2016 GOLF R
I hope my car picks up a nasty misfire before it's out of warranty so I can send it back to have the service done.

Service Writer--North Penn VW Colmar, PA
project92raddoslc is offline   Reply With Quote