GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
Fordson
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 SB 4door MT GTI - Autobahn
This car idles at maybe 700 rpm, but it's not making boost at 700 rpm. If you want to take advantage of small holes in traffic, you have to get the revs up to around 1700 first. If you are moving, you pick the gear that will put you at over 1700 rpm at the speed you're traveling and the throttle response is fine. Or if you're stopped you put it in first, get the revs up and slip it.

This is why I bought the 6MT instead of the DSG. The DSG does a fine job of slipping the clutch in most cases, but not all cases, and it has the disadvantage of not knowing what you're anticipating doing.

Yes, there is some sort of flat spot in the DBW throttle in this car, but basically what you people are talking about is expecting power and response when you're out of boost, and that's not going to happen.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #30
hvltg
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI CW 4Dr DSG
first time experience this 1st gear lag in my DSG, i was puling out of a gas station with my son in the car. some scary shit when you got no power and pulling out into busy street!
hvltg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Stocktastic
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: I gotter meotter.
Send a message via AIM to Stocktastic
Launch Control at every stoplight.

Or just learn how to drive.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #32
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyveelish View Post
how will you get to boost range without pressing the gas? you probably meant letting off the clutch?
You misunderstood. He didn't say "get to boost range" he said "when in boost range". Stepping on the throttle at 1000RPM in gear the car might feel sluggish, no turbo there. If you are at 2500RPM and mash the accelerator the turbo (especially on a tuned car) will push you back in your seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
I have been complaining about this since I got my GTI in early May. I kept spinning tires in first gear during my test drive and I wasn't sure why.
You keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it does.

How does "throttle lag" translate to "wheels spinning" It's not throtlle lag if you're smoking the tires with no traction.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
Try having it with K04 and all of the power just kicks in all of the sudden. I've had to learn, much like plac mentioned, to roll into the acceleration.
Obligatory Grambles K04......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordson View Post
This car idles at maybe 700 rpm, but it's not making boost at 700 rpm. If you want to take advantage of small holes in traffic, you have to get the revs up to around 1700 first. If you are moving, you pick the gear that will put you at over 1700 rpm at the speed you're traveling and the throttle response is fine. Or if you're stopped you put it in first, get the revs up and slip it.
I guess this, cause, I have NO idea what ANY of you are talking about. There is no "dead spot" in my throttle but this is how I use my manual. If you want to GO you kinda need revs to do that.

It must be traction control if you guys are leaving that one. I remember having issues with the TC especially after I got Stage 1 where the car would bog down sometimes when leaving a stoplight, especially when turning. It was obviously the TC slowing my roll lol, I would never have called it a dead spot though. There is that slight delay that is inherent in all fly by wire accelerators, very different from a car with a mechanical connection with a tight throttle cable but nothing that has ever caused me to almost get hit.

First thing I do is turn off my TC when I start the car.
2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: a racecar
Quote:
Originally Posted by colslaw87 View Post
Ok, that sounds strange. There's no lag time @ 3K in any gear when I drive my GTI. Does the power eventually kick in?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Eventually, but by that time my foot is to the floor out of impatience and suddenly it takes off after the pause, often with screeching tire while making me look like an ass. Same thing happened today, though not as bad. Certainly still there though. It feels like there is no boost or something though I know that isnt possible... Right? The turbo noise has become quite loud in the last 500 or so miles. Could that be related?
Originally Posted by damagi123 You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?
TSI_mr.niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
dmo580
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf GTI 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
I have been complaining about this since I got my GTI in early May. I kept spinning tires in first gear during my test drive and I wasn't sure why. I later figured out it was due to the throttle lag. I've since been able to mitigate it by driving in manual mode (DSG tranny) and lightly applying throttle about a second before I need to actually accelerate, but the lag is still highly annoying.

I'll probably end up wrecking my wife's Honda Fit at some point. The throttle response in that car is instantaneous, and it takes some getting used to after driving the GTI every day.
I drive my gf's fit a lot... that thing is responsive AND sensitive. For such a slow car overall when you tap the accelerator, it lurches forward. Scary. Coming from driving larger cars like the Mercedes M-Class, you really have to put your foot down for a heavyass car to move. The GTI sits somewhere in between but I have no idea why the recent Japanese cars have hypersensitive gas pedals (Fit, Camry, etc.).
dmo580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
wh85
Autocross Newbie

Drives: Golf MkVI
It's all to do with the size of the engine and how far back you put the clutch if it's a manual... If you got higher then 1.4(though really its 1.5) with or without turbo or 1.4,with turbo then you wouldn't notice it. I've noticed it on my 1.4 Golf I was ok wheres my power??? N other times I'm like gone... I now just before I start to go no matter if I'm on my hand brake or just the foot brake I get it on the biting point and since then the lag is in the rear view mirriors.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #36
pgreene
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 CW GTI w/ DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it does.

How does "throttle lag" translate to "wheels spinning" It's not throtlle lag if you're smoking the tires with no traction.....
Hah, I guess I should explain a bit more. My previous car was a Honda Fit, which had instant throttle response. While test driving the GTI I would apply a little throttle, get no instant response, then apply a little more... then the throttle would kick in and all of a sudden, wheels are spinning! I've since gotten used to the response of the GTI and now I only spin tires when I want to .
pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
f00kie
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: TBD
I really hate this issue. As stupid as it sounds, I have ordered the SprintBooster thing to try and see if it fixes it.

It does not happen with launch control, so I think it could either be TC (free fix) or the ECU is not getting the right amount of signal fast enough (sprint booster will hopefully solve this).

Flame away.

Last edited by f00kie; 07-10-2012 at 03:50 PM.
f00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #38
xd-data-ii
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Mk6 GTI DSG
Spinning tires is nothing to do with it all. And the turbo is nothing to do with it too. That all comes after the fact.
My mkv Golf 2.5L auto leaps forward and puts you back in your seat immediately with a little press of the throttle pedal.
On my GTI DSG doing same thing, the car does nothing. Barely responds. Needs more pressure on the throttle for it to move and it gradually starts moving.
Its just different cars with different engines and requiring different driving techniques.
Throttle pedal is not an on off switch.

In a manual it would be easy to eliminate this depending on how skilled you are with combining the throttle and the clutch pedals.
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #39
xd-data-ii
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Mk6 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00kie View Post
I really hate this issue. As stupid as it sounds, I have ordered the Speed Booster thing to try and see if it fixes it.

It does not happen with launch control, so I think it could either be TC (free fix) or the ECU is not getting the right amount of signal fast enough (speed booster will hopefully solve this).

Flame away.
Speed booster or Sprint Booster?

A guy put up a great and very favorable review of this in the 'R' section. Seems to help a lot. Don't know about how much in a GTI.

It doesnt happen with launch control because you already have the revs up and the turbo spinning and your foot planted. Its the low end torque at low revs thats the issue.
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #40
f00kie
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd-data-ii View Post
Speed booster or Sprint Booster?

A guy put up a great and very favorable review of this in the 'R' section. Seems to help a lot. Don't know about how much in a GTI.
I edited the post - Sprint Booster of course.

I did read that review, and many others. The general consensus is that people who have it love it, and people who don't have it usually hate on it. So, I will try it out for myself; worst case, I wasted $300... I can live with that.
f00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
xHeartcoreboyx
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '10 CW 2DR GTI DSG
Today i had my AC full blasting and had to push hard to move in the round about.....my wheels were spinning all over the place followed by a loud ass dsg burp.

Felt like an idiot...true story
| APR K04 v3.1 91oct | APR CAI | APR FMIC | APR TCU v1.6 | Ultimate Racing DP | Neuspeed TOP&TBP | INA Oil cooler | 034 CC | Bilstein B14 | 034 Engine/Trans/Struts/Dogbone Mounts | SuperPro ALK | Stoptech Rotors/Pads/lines | Michelin PSS | Build thread |

xHeartcoreboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #42
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb110 View Post
Very possible, plus I can't drive for shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dels View Post
Just made my day with this! Friggen hilarious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00kie View Post
I edited the post - Sprint Booster of course.

The real solution is to learn your car...
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote