GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
wh85
Autocross Newbie
 
wh85's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf MkVI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In my Golf driving to Paradise City
Posts: 73
It's all to do with the size of the engine and how far back you put the clutch if it's a manual... If you got higher then 1.4(though really its 1.5) with or without turbo or 1.4,with turbo then you wouldn't notice it. I've noticed it on my 1.4 Golf I was ok wheres my power??? N other times I'm like gone... I now just before I start to go no matter if I'm on my hand brake or just the foot brake I get it on the biting point and since then the lag is in the rear view mirriors.
__________________
wh85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #36
pgreene
Autocross Newbie
 
pgreene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CW GTI w/ DSG
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it does.

How does "throttle lag" translate to "wheels spinning" It's not throtlle lag if you're smoking the tires with no traction.....
Hah, I guess I should explain a bit more. My previous car was a Honda Fit, which had instant throttle response. While test driving the GTI I would apply a little throttle, get no instant response, then apply a little more... then the throttle would kick in and all of a sudden, wheels are spinning! I've since gotten used to the response of the GTI and now I only spin tires when I want to .
pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
f00kie
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,497
I really hate this issue. As stupid as it sounds, I have ordered the SprintBooster thing to try and see if it fixes it.

It does not happen with launch control, so I think it could either be TC (free fix) or the ECU is not getting the right amount of signal fast enough (sprint booster will hopefully solve this).

Flame away.

Last edited by f00kie; 07-10-2012 at 03:50 PM.
f00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #38
xd-data-ii
Formula 5000 Champion
 
xd-data-ii's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI DSG
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: -8 GMT
Posts: 2,949
Spinning tires is nothing to do with it all. And the turbo is nothing to do with it too. That all comes after the fact.
My mkv Golf 2.5L auto leaps forward and puts you back in your seat immediately with a little press of the throttle pedal.
On my GTI DSG doing same thing, the car does nothing. Barely responds. Needs more pressure on the throttle for it to move and it gradually starts moving.
Its just different cars with different engines and requiring different driving techniques.
Throttle pedal is not an on off switch.

In a manual it would be easy to eliminate this depending on how skilled you are with combining the throttle and the clutch pedals.
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #39
xd-data-ii
Formula 5000 Champion
 
xd-data-ii's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI DSG
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: -8 GMT
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00kie View Post
I really hate this issue. As stupid as it sounds, I have ordered the Speed Booster thing to try and see if it fixes it.

It does not happen with launch control, so I think it could either be TC (free fix) or the ECU is not getting the right amount of signal fast enough (speed booster will hopefully solve this).

Flame away.
Speed booster or Sprint Booster?

A guy put up a great and very favorable review of this in the 'R' section. Seems to help a lot. Don't know about how much in a GTI.

It doesnt happen with launch control because you already have the revs up and the turbo spinning and your foot planted. Its the low end torque at low revs thats the issue.
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #40
f00kie
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd-data-ii View Post
Speed booster or Sprint Booster?

A guy put up a great and very favorable review of this in the 'R' section. Seems to help a lot. Don't know about how much in a GTI.
I edited the post - Sprint Booster of course.

I did read that review, and many others. The general consensus is that people who have it love it, and people who don't have it usually hate on it. So, I will try it out for myself; worst case, I wasted $300... I can live with that.
f00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
xHeartcoreboyx
Formula 1 Driver
 
xHeartcoreboyx's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CW 2DR GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Qatar
Posts: 9,557
Today i had my AC full blasting and had to push hard to move in the round about.....my wheels were spinning all over the place followed by a loud ass dsg burp.

Felt like an idiot...true story
__________________
| APR K04 v3.1 93oct | APR CAI | APR FMIC | APR TCU v1.5 | Ultimate Racing DP | Neuspeed TOP&TBP | INA Oil cooler | 034 CC | Bilstein B14 | 034 Engine/Trans/Struts Mounts | SuperPro ALK | Stoptech Rotors/Pads/lines | Michelin PSS | Build thread |

xHeartcoreboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #42
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Modshack's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Greenville NC
Posts: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb110 View Post
Very possible, plus I can't drive for shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dels View Post
Just made my day with this! Friggen hilarious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00kie View Post
I edited the post - Sprint Booster of course.

.
The real solution is to learn your car...
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #43
Mckidd
Drag Racing Champion
 
Drives: 10 GTI; 09 Tiguan; 03 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd-data-ii View Post
Spinning tires is nothing to do with it all. And the turbo is nothing to do with it too. That all comes after the fact.
My mkv Golf 2.5L auto leaps forward and puts you back in your seat immediately with a little press of the throttle pedal.
On my GTI DSG doing same thing, the car does nothing. Barely responds. Needs more pressure on the throttle for it to move and it gradually starts moving.
Its just different cars with different engines and requiring different driving techniques.
Throttle pedal is not an on off switch.

In a manual it would be easy to eliminate this depending on how skilled you are with combining the throttle and the clutch pedals.
The manual transmission has this issue as well. You can let the clutch out completely without any throttle input and it will creep along at 5-10mph, but then as you depress the accelerator there is a discernible lag before the car accelerates. This is definitely unrelated to the turbo as my wife's 2.0T TSI Tiguan with the 09G has absolutely no pedal dead space.

Mike
Mckidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #44
f00kie
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
The real solution is to learn your car...
If Sprint Booster doesn't fix it, that's fine. But no matter what anyone says, there is a very serious issue with this car, which I'd say has safety implications.

For example, when waiting to make a left turn at an intersection, I see an opening. I press the gas and nothing happens. By the time the car starts moving, I now have a greater chance of being T-boned by oncoming traffic because the damn thing wouldn't move when I wanted it to.

This does not happen on other cars I've driven.
f00kie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
xd-data-ii
Formula 5000 Champion
 
xd-data-ii's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI DSG
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: -8 GMT
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckidd View Post
The manual transmission has this issue as well. You can let the clutch out completely without any throttle input and it will creep along at 5-10mph, but then as you depress the accelerator there is a discernible lag before the car accelerates. This is definitely unrelated to the turbo as my wife's 2.0T TSI Tiguan with the 09G has absolutely no pedal dead space.

Mike

Huh?

You don't drive a manual by full releasing the clutch and then pressing the throttle pedal.
You press the throttle pedal slightly bringing the revs up as you release the clutch pedal and you learn the bite point to meet the two perfectly.

If you did this and brought the revs up enough (but not too much) before the clutch is disengaged i dont see how it can be that much of an issue.
A manual car has no dead space because you don't operate the pedals independently of each other. If you are slowing down and want to keep it in second you slip the clutch bring the revs up and accelerate on with at the higher revs.

If letting the clutch out fully when in first gear without any throttle and the car doesnt stall and cut out then the car must have some anti-stall system.
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #46
zVp
Formula 5000 Champion
 
zVp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Black GTI (DSG)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GTA, Canada
Posts: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00kie View Post
If Sprint Booster doesn't fix it, that's fine. But no matter what anyone says, there is a very serious issue with this car, which I'd say has safety implications.

For example, when waiting to make a left turn at an intersection, I see an opening. I press the gas and nothing happens. By the time the car starts moving, I now have a greater chance of being T-boned by oncoming traffic because the damn thing wouldn't move when I wanted it to.

This does not happen on other cars I've driven.
Yup, my parents Civics and my old Corolla (yep, Corolla) doesn't have this problem.

I drive in manual mode to prevent most of this, but sometimes here and there it'll pop up again. It happens way more often in D mode, I find.
__________________
2012 DEEP BLACK PEARL GTI
DSG | APR Stage 1 | DriverGear Springs
zVp's Car Journal
zVp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #47
Mckidd
Drag Racing Champion
 
Drives: 10 GTI; 09 Tiguan; 03 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd-data-ii View Post
Huh?

You don't drive a manual by full releasing the clutch and then pressing the throttle pedal.
You press the throttle pedal slightly bringing the revs up as you release the clutch pedal and you learn the bite point to meet the two perfectly.

If you did this and brought the revs up enough (but not too much) before the clutch is disengaged i dont see how it can be that much of an issue.
A manual car has no dead space because you don't operate the pedals independently of each other. If you are slowing down and want to keep it in second you slip the clutch bring the revs up and accelerate on with at the higher revs.

If letting the clutch out fully when in first gear without any throttle and the car doesnt stall and cut out then the car must have some anti-stall system.
Find a MT GTI and try it. The ECU is programmed to allow you to creep along in 1st with the clutch completely engaged and zero throttle input. Ideally in any manual transmission car you would get the clutch completely engaged with the least amount of throttle to minimize the amount of clutch wear.
Mckidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #48
xd-data-ii
Formula 5000 Champion
 
xd-data-ii's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI DSG
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: -8 GMT
Posts: 2,949
Nah. Thats not a good way to drive. You shouldnt start a take off with a manual from 750 rpm. Thats the problem people are seeing if thats how they are driving. Thats ridiculous. No wonder people feel it bogging down.

You need to bring the rpm up at least 1300 rpm and if you do this properly it is only for minimal time and has no problem on the clutch. The take off would be a lot smoother and faster

It'll creep along if you bring the clutch up slowly enough. Normal speed clutch pedal release would stall it if there is no throttle applied.
Ill see if i can drive one later
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #49
Shifty6
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 140
I think what guys are talking about is how the throttle by wire works. I have this occassionaly. It can be frustrating.

The guy letting the clutch out with no gas....he said it CAN be done. That is not necessarily how he drives it regularly. The Audi S4 is very similar. I have wondered if it is programed that way to help keep the engine from stalling.

I think very few of these scenarios are from a loss of traction. They seem to describe the throttle lag, not necesarily turbo lag.
Shifty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #50
xd-data-ii
Formula 5000 Champion
 
xd-data-ii's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI DSG
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: -8 GMT
Posts: 2,949
I see what you are saying, but explain how there is throttle lag when you are taking off and bring the rpm up whilst engaging the clutch.
What happens?? Your rpm is at, say, 1400 as you engage the clutch. Is there a delayed response in the system that drops the rpm down to say 800 and then it has to build again or does it keep building from 1400 as expected?
Is it a delayed response to bring up the rpm before engaging the clutch? Which would mess up your whole drive style and catch you out at times I suspect.
xd-data-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #51
Demer
Drag Racing Champion
 
Demer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CSG GTI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 61
I barely drive in D but when I do I get a ton of lag when I hit it at 40mph. To the point its scary sometimes. I m stage 1 btw. S and M drive fine.
Demer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.