GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
blaqkink
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 CW 2DR GTI
MKVI GTI or 2010 Audi A4

Hey everyone im planning on looking into both of these cars. I was pretty set on the MKVI but since I am leasing this car I noticed my monthly payments are not going to be that much different. So i wanted to know as far as handling performance and comfort which one you would choose.

Im looking at both of these to be manual, as well as I have plans to chip it with Stage 1 APR program. Which one do you guys think would perform best overall? any opinions appreciated

thanks
blaqkink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
jekyll991
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Tornado Red GTI
You're on an MKVI forum, obviously we would choose/did choose the MKVI.

Seriously though, love my MKVI, I haven't looked at the new A4's, but the interior of the GTI is excellent, the handling is awesome even on all-season tires, the ride is a bit bumpy (almost identical to my Mom's old 08 Audi TT) but I like "feeling" the road actually.

As far as out of the box fun, I'd say the the GTI win, because the stock 2.0t doesn't quite make enough power to need AWD so it just slows/weighs it down.

And you definitely get more options per dollar with the GTI, an A4 with similar options runs 10k more than the GTI.

The a4 is definitely a sexy automobile though.
jekyll991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
Monstermk6
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI
im sure you will be happy with which ever you pick... or you could really go crazy and lease that 2010 S4 with the supercharged v6.

ive been hearing that with a tune you can be making 400+ horse in one of those.

now that is a sexy car.
im 20 years old tho and i dont need that much car haha lots of moneeyyyy

2011 Subaru WRX
Monstermk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Cloudlink04
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Autobahn 2012 CW 4dr GTI DSG
Go with the A4
Cloudlink04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
jmblur
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG
A4 is much more a cruising/luxury car. Not that it doesn't handle ok, but it pushes a lot more. (granted, I haven't driven a 2010 b8, but I drove a b5 for 5 years, and have driven a number of b6s and been in a few b7s). They're fantastic cars, but they're not as fun without a good deal more work.

GTI is, out of the box, a more fun car - nimble, quick, sporty. A4 is, out of the box, quick but comfortable. Both great cars, but different purposes.

Check out the A3 if you want, it's basically a mk5 golf with AWD and different body panels.

2010 MKVI GTI
CSG :: DSG :: HID :: Dynaudio :: Sunroof
18" VW Vision V (summer) :: 17" Detroits (winter) :: P3cars Digital Boost Gauge :: S2T DSG Paddle Shifters :: Euroswitch :: Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror w/ Homelink (install soon)
jmblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
blaqkink
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 CW 2DR GTI
thanks for the input everyone! I will most likely stick with the MKVI, I think it will have a sportier feel than the A4
blaqkink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
quarantine
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: golf
A4 with the same amount of options on a GTI will cost 10 grand more.
Obviously the A4 comes with first class luxury inside, but price wise these cars are in a different class. Not to mention if you opt for the more powerful engine then you're looking at a 45k + car
quarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Antero128
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI MK6
2 totally different cars man. Cant really compare a hatch and a sedan. I dont think any input from us is really necessary. Do yourself a favor and test drive both then make up your mind. Both are great cars.
Antero128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
jgs5607
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2 Dr 2010 GTI Manual - United Gray
I think for driving fun, go with the GTI.

When I was at my Dealership yesterday having the courtesy check done, I looked at the A4 and A5 both.

If you could find a base one somewhere near the same price, I would go with an A5 just for its looks....pure sex on wheels.
jgs5607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Mk6golfer
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 1996 Acura Integra
Glad you started this thread, as I was about to start one (except GTI vs 1-2 yr old used A4). The base A4 is probably not as athletic as the GTI, and not as quick since it weighs more and uses the same size engine and power output. Prob a little more plush ride, being a luxury sport sedan. I'm pretty much set on GTI, since I cant seem to find anything in its price range with same features and out-of-the-box fun... plus the utility/flexibility of a hatch

^^ and yes the A5 is sex on wheels

"you could get the fuck out of some groceries in that thing"
Mk6golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
austai
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
The A4's engine has about 40 or 50 ft-lbs more torque than the GTI's due to variable valve lift. So it's heavier but the extra torque will more than make up for it.
austai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
MrClean
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 10 GTI 4dr / 06 CS / 12 TTRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk6golfer View Post
Glad you started this thread, as I was about to start one (except GTI vs 1-2 yr old used A4). The base A4 is probably not as athletic as the GTI, and not as quick since it weighs more and uses the same size engine and power output. Prob a little more plush ride, being a luxury sport sedan. I'm pretty much set on GTI, since I cant seem to find anything in its price range with same features and out-of-the-box fun... plus the utility/flexibility of a hatch

^^ and yes the A5 is sex on wheels
Coming from a B7 A4 2.0T, 6 spd manual, S Line, Titanium Avant, (yeah that is a mouthful) I can tell you that your assumptions are correct. Compared to the A4 of any trim level, the GTI is so much more athletic and more fun to drive. The GTI's updated interiors ala Audi and ammentities do not have me missing the Audi.

If you haven't figured out yet, BUY THE GTI!
Clearbra, VW DGs, 38% Tint
Black Roof, & R Taillights
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
PENROSE
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI Carbon 4dr DSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Coming from a B7 A4 2.0T, 6 spd manual, S Line, Titanium Avant, (yeah that is a mouthful) I can tell you that your assumptions are correct. Compared to the A4 of any trim level, the GTI is so much more athletic and more fun to drive. The GTI's updated interiors ala Audi and ammentities do not have me missing the Audi.

If you haven't figured out yet, BUY THE GTI!
Mr Clean.....I saw a pic of your A4 Avant on another thread. Man, it was NICE!!
PENROSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
Yang24
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 MKVI GTI
I was literally in this same exact situation last week i got in to an accident my car was totaled and i had to get a new

one i narrowed it down to those exact to cars. Can you tell which one i went with :]. It really came down to price for

31k i got xenon lights,dsg,nav,autobahn sports seats and sunroof,i meen fully loaded . which thats about the base

price for the a4. The a4 is a great car no doubt it has the looks and some decent power to boot. But i myself love the

look of the gti i have a white one and i already have some vmr black wheels on the way, I love the potential on the

gti as well theres soo much you can do to this car its great. And coming from a 3series bmw i wasnt to sure to go to

a vw but i now know why the cars are soo popular in europe and america. For the price of the gti you just cant beat it

at least from my perspective.

hope this helped
alex,
Yang24 is offline   Reply With Quote