GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
The Unofficial GTI Year-Over-Year Changes Thread

This is something I wish I had when shopping for my GTI. I'll update the OP as comments are made below, so drop a note and let's get this as complete as possible.

• VW began using the "package" method for grouping options instead of allowing users to check options individually as on the 2010.
    - Base model no longer includes the multifunction steering wheel. RCD310, a touchscreenless single CD head unit, used in place of the RCD510. Detroit alloy wheels now included on the base model in favor of the 17" Denvers.
    - Over the base model, the Convenience and Sunroof package includes the RCD510 touchscreen radio, multifunction steering wheel and a power sliding sunroof.
    - The Sunroof & Navigation package swaps in a 5" RNS315 navigation head unit (2010 had RNS510, a 6.5" touchscreen) and Bi-Xenon HID headlamps on top of the Convenience and Sunroof package.
    - The Autobahn package adds the Dynaudio 300W 10 speaker sound system, leather sport seats and door insert and KESSY (Keyless Entry and Start System).
  • The noisepipe was removed in favor of an electronic actuator (the "Soundaktor," German for sound-maker I believe) that reverberates against the firewall. Some have measured small PSI gains (and, theoretically, power gains) and a throttle response improvement (also subjective) by removing the noisepipe.
  • Smaller rear brake rotors.
  • DSG programming update to change the shift timing. Responsiveness is reported to be better.
  • 6MT cars now loaded with hill hold assist (HHS).
  • DSG shifter changed from the ball shape to more of an angular, oblique shape.
  • Bluetooth support from 9w3 to 9w7 standard. Notably, 9w7 supports phonebook pairing. Bluetooth now supports voice control.
  • Rear side thorax airbags (4x4) no longer available.
  • Full-size rear head restraints.
  • Gauge cluster graphics changes add red line between ticks. Elimination of green Bluetooth indicator light. Traction control light no longer blinks when ESC is off.
  • TPMS changed to ABS sensors instead of in-wheel sensors on prior years
  • 2011.5: "GTI" insert at the bottom of the steering wheel now plastic instead of aluminum.
  • 2011.5: Manual shift knob center strip changed to leather due to complaints of the metal center strip getting too hot.
  • Changes to the Autobahn Package:
    - Push-button start of KESSEY now aluminum instead of plastic.
    - Aluminum interior trim
    - Door sills from Adidas edition
    - Floor mats with red trim
    - Golf ball shifter for DSG
    - Serron 18" alloy wheels
  • Bi-Xenon headlights now include the LED DRL strip.
  • Overhead bluetooth and phone button panel deleted.
  • LED rear license plate lights on Xenon equipped models
  • RCD 310 backlight with black illumination instead of blue on previous models
  • RCD 510 now with HD Radio and revised graphics
  • On the fourth revision to the throttle position sensor, a "dead zone" experienced at idle has been corrected.
  • Shadow Blue no longer available
  • "Watkins Glen" wheels, previously equipped on the Edition 35, now come on mid-level packages. Base cars have Detroits and Autobahn cars retain the Serrons.
  • Dash cubby can be found on some models.

It's also worth noting how VW makes these changes. For instance, I have a '12 with incandescent license plate bulbs and a bluetooth roof panel. It's likely that they make changes for the model year changeover, but use all existing parts regardless of where the official changeover occurred. Therefore even though the '12's were on the line, leftover incandescent license plate bulbs had to be used up so my car came equipped with them.

OP RevG

Last edited by XGC75; 02-09-2013 at 01:02 AM.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
danielj

Drives: 2013 BMW x135
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5264
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21669
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...highlight=2013

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Every golf has "premium 8" I believe. Which has tweeters up high in the same location as Dynaudio.
2011+ GTIs have smaller rear brake rotors.
2011+Bluetooth was updated from 9w3 to 9w7
2011+ have 18" Detroits standard
2011+ don't have multi function steering wheel standard
2010 Nav was the RNS510 which was switched to a RNS315 in 2011+ models. It has a much smaller screen etc.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
I was writing my post before you posted yours
Old 07-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
CFG9000
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
Weren't Serrons new for 2012, not 2011?
Other Stuff: 3M 35% tint all-around - Maniacs shift paddles
CFG9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
corrado917
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI CSG
A friend from Miami has a 2 door Shadow blue 2012 without kessy ,with the LED strips and Nav and fabric seats.His came with Detroit wheels.
A buch of goodies APRís K04 kit, NGK 8 plugs , Unitronic Intake, Eurojet DP, Magnaflow catback, APRís TCU tune, 034 Dogbone Mount Insert, S3 intercooler, Forge catch can, Modshack trim, AWE tuning IC hoses, Neuspeed K04 TOP & TDP, H&R Cup kit, Golf Rís skirts & side mirrors, Euro LED tails, GTD grill, H&R sways, Stern bar, Enkei RPF1 & some other stuff..Build
corrado917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
danielj

There are too many errors in the OP's post. Click the links for year by year changes.

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

The only one close to a definitive list is the first. The second has errors and is missing content. The third isn't an attempt at a list and certainly isn't everything.

OP says, I'll repeat here, that the OP will be complete. Thanks for the resources, I'll update the OP tonight.

Guess I should mention that this is the ideal time to make a consolidated list because the '14 model will be mk7.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
danielj

The links I provided have all the changes, just not tidy - you have to read the threads. I can edit your OP and just list 99% of them if you like as I have them memorized.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Hah, beat you to it. OP Rev B includes all the changes listed in the linked threads.

There's still more sifting through, such as maxtdi's note about the rotors. The linked threads grab mostly aesthetic changes.

Already loving the results - VW really changes quite a bit between generations.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado917 View Post
A friend from Miami has a 2 door Shadow blue 2012 without kessy ,with the LED strips and Nav and fabric seats.His came with Detroit wheels.
I gather that the LED DRL's were a change to all bi-xenon equipped cars.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

RevC includes noted changes up to this post. RevD corrects some garbage from RevB.

Still looking for clarification on the tweeters in the front doors. I distinctly recall some models not having any grill there for speakers. Was this a 2011 improvement?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
danielj

I just made some additions and corrections for you.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Cool - saw the TMPS and RCD310 notes. I remember a mental note about the TMPS changes. The '12 book definitely calls out using the ABS and that wheels are not equipped with sensors. See?! Important stuff for aftermarket wheel buyers!

Also, this is why I put revisions on the post!! RevE is danielj's edits with the revC to revD cleanup.