GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Is It Okay to Remove the Hood Insulation?

That carpet like thing under my hood is absolutely disgusting. Not only is it falling off, there's dust and other shit that comes out of it when you touch it. It's also falling apart. I can't believe the garbage VW puts under the hood.

I did some research and I read that many people just removed theirs. I also read a few posts where people say removing it will cause your paint to be destroyed. I live in Florida where it's over 100 degrees most of the time so that's concerning to me. If you touch my car in the hot sun, it's enough to burn you. Will the engine + heat from the sun cause any damage if I remove this? I really wish I mentioned this before my warranty expired so I could have had it replaced. Will it also become hotter under the hood without it?
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
My thought is that VW put that thing there to quiet down the sounds coming from the engine compartment. The DI engine does not make a quality sound. I can't see how that is going to hurt your paint. You can always buy a new one & replace the ragged out one.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
i don't think so, I havent had a hood blanket on any of my cars in years this one included. absolutely no paint issues. don't believe me, take a look at your paint inside the hood closest to the turbo, that should be the hottest your paint gets and it's not burnt.

it's for noise suppression and apparently should you ever catch a fire it is supposed to fall apart and help extinguish it.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
JSwag420
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 CSG DSG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
i don't think so, I havent had a hood blanket on any of my cars in years this one included. absolutely no paint issues. don't believe me, take a look at your paint inside the hood closest to the turbo, that should be the hottest your paint gets and it's not burnt.

it's for noise suppression and apparently should you ever catch a fire it is supposed to fall apart and help extinguish it.
Will probably just remove it then. I'm kicking myself for not mentioning it before my warranty expired.
JSwag420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

enjoy being able to hear your intake/dv sounds if upgraded primary reason i removed mine. it's a real game changer noise-wise.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
Sauce118
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI (6spd White)
Mine has been removed for some time now.. It might just be in my head, but I also remove the seal towards the windshield wipers (unless I'm washing my car); I think it helps circulate the air much better, it also gives a more connected sound from under the hood. It also helps you be able to hear the Intake sound like a vacuum cleaner. But the car is def quieter with the insulation installed, and I would think if it got TOO HOT under the hood, you might damage your paint from the heat... But mine has been out since I bought the car, it looks super clean if you keep the underside of the hood clean as well.
2010 GTi 6mt: Candy White: CTS K04 W/APR v3.12: AQUAMIST HFS-4 v3.1 W/M Direct Port: Peloquin LSD: Wilwood BBK: CTS Downpipe: Beluga CatBack: ARM Motorsports FMIC: CTS CAI: CTS BOV Kit: RSR Clutch: CTS Charge Pipes: Fluidampr Pulley: Koni Coilovers: WALK Kit: SPM Full Mounts: DieselGeek SS w/ bushings: Eurosport Front & Rear Strut Bar: STERN Brace: HID's: 'R' Grill: Various Cosmetics GT3073 BUILD IN PROGRESS!!!
Sauce118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

^yes removing the cowl strip also makes a difference in sound - although it has been said by someone that it adversely affects aerodynamics as well as under-hood air circulation.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
I've actually been wondering this myself lately. I've never driven the car without the insulation and I'm curious what it sounds like now that I have an intake for my stage 2. I use a shop vac to clean my insulation pretty regularly and after 4 years/49k, its still in really good shape. I also thought maybe the heat from the engine would affect the paint on the hood but its good to hear it does not. I think I'm going to remove it over the weekend and try driving it around for the day to see what it sounds like.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
^yes removing the cowl strip also makes a difference in sound - although it has been said by someone that it adversely affects aerodynamics as well as under-hood air circulation.
I think ModShack posted a while back that it lowers engine bay temperatures, but I don't know if anybody has shown if this has lowered engine or intake temperatures.

Without testing I can only speculate, but given that the area at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area, air enters the engine bay at that spot if you remove the cowl strip which should lower ambient air temperatures around the turbo as cool air comes in and exits beneath the car.

Allowing air to enter the engine bay in a spot that's not through the cooling stack I believe that you're probably not doing your radiator and intercooler any favors. But again, only speculating based my understanding of how air passes through/around most cars.

As far as adverse effect to aerodynamics..... it's probably not much, but the goal is to keep as much air from going under the car as possible because this causes lift. How much lift in this case? I have no idea, probably not much, but it's probably a tiny (immeasurable?) step in the wrong direction. Surely not enough to fuss over if you like the extra sound.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
I removed it and also have the ModShack cowl strip mod for the last few years, no issues in hot/humid Houston.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #11
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
I think ModShack posted a while back that it lowers engine bay temperatures, but I don't know if anybody has shown if this has lowered engine or intake temperatures.

Without testing I can only speculate, but given that the area at the base of the windshield is a high pressure area, air enters the engine bay at that spot if you remove the cowl strip which should lower ambient air temperatures around the turbo as cool air comes in and exits beneath the car.

Allowing air to enter the engine bay in a spot that's not through the cooling stack I believe that you're probably not doing your radiator and intercooler any favors. But again, only speculating based my understanding of how air passes through/around most cars.

As far as adverse effect to aerodynamics..... it's probably not much, but the goal is to keep as much air from going under the car as possible because this causes lift. How much lift in this case? I have no idea, probably not much, but it's probably a tiny (immeasurable?) step in the wrong direction. Surely not enough to fuss over if you like the extra sound.
thanks for the reply, i can see what you're saying.

yes, to all considering, DEFINITELY try both 'mods' - the best free mods you can do, literally adds so much intake/turbo noise. its worth it considering it also adds some unwanted DI/valvetrain noise.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #12
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
Removed mine years ago. Paint is 100% and noise is no different.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #13
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
I'm in SW FL and took mine out a few years ago, hood still looks the same.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:37 AM   #14
WeekendWarriorz
Touring Car Champion

Drives: BMW Z4M
Take the hood insulation and weather strip out and throw them both in the trash can, now enjoy hearing the baby K03 spool

-2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster 6MT |FBO+E85| BBS RS-GT | VF-engineering |
-2011 BMW 335i X-Drive |FBO+E85| MHD Stage 2+ E30|
WeekendWarriorz is offline   Reply With Quote