GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
PENROSE
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI Carbon 4dr DSG Autobahn
Strange exhaust sound.

I noticed a strange exhaust sound while driving today. I just cracked 1,000 miles if that matters. I know that VW added some "special pipe" that gives the exhaust a nice mild growl....and I like the sound. It seems to come from right underneath me while driving.

But today I noticed an additional purr/growl/hiss and this sound is coming from toward the front passenger side...like behind the glove box...in the firewall somewhere...or even under the hood?

Its hard to explain the location. And the sound doesnt happen all the time. Just wondering if the exhaust is just breaking in? Could there be a leak in the exhaust? A loose hose or something?

Maybe I'm just nuts? Haha. Anyone else notice anything like this? I swear, I'm so paranoid sometimes that I just look for things to go wrong.
PENROSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
roastpuff
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Might just be the turbo/fuel injection under load. I notice the sound too, and I kind of like it.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
siagolf
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Blk MK6 GTI
by "special pipe" are you referring to the "noise pipe" that's under our hoods? it terminates right where you're hearing the noise you're describing so it could be the culprit.

also this noise pipe is utterly useless...i'm planning to do the delete/plug-mod on it soon to squeeze out more boost from our K03 turbos...
Suspension: H&R Touring Cup Kit
Shoes: 19" Neuspeed RS10 Forged w/Falken FK-452 || 18" Detroits w/P-Zero Nero
Interior: Leather, Dynaudio, Navi, MDI, Bluetooth, 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Wrap
Exterior: Rieger Front Lip+Splitter, 4500k Fogs, Color-matched reflectors
siagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
PENROSE
Formula 5000 Driver

Nope. Not my imagination. Just took it around the block again. It is definately a new/different sound and it is coming from under the hood or in the firewall on the passenger side. I opened the hood and the sound, Im guessing, is coming from the area where the air intake tube enters the engine. This is the same area where another weird looking "tube" enters the firewall (this tube comes out of the firewall and heads straight toward the front of the hood and then goes straight down and to the right...etc....I dont even know what this thing is for actualy.)

Anyway....from inside the car...it sounds like an exhaust "leak" if you ask me.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
siagolf
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Blk MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENROSE View Post
This is the same area where another weird looking "tube" enters the firewall (this tube comes out of the firewall and heads straight toward the front of the hood and then goes straight down and to the right...etc....I dont even know what this thing is for actualy.)
as per my post above, that's the noise-pipe...it's purpose is to amplify the engine noise into the cabin to give us the "vroom vroom" sound. this is the tube you're talking about right?

and if you keep following down it looks like this:

it can be easily removed and plugged to reduce cabin noise and to improve the throttle response of the car...the noise-pipe is basically another outlet from the throttle body, so part (small amount) of the boost you create when you're on the throttle goes to fill up that pipe. taking the pipe out and/or plugging it results in more of your boost going to where it matters -- the engine.

to be clear, you're NOT making more hp/tq by removing/plugging the noise-pipe -- you're just improving the throttle response -- some say noticeably, but i'll report back as to what i felt once i finally plug the sucker! oh...and yes, your cabin will be quieter with the noise pipe removed/plugged.
Suspension: H&R Touring Cup Kit
Shoes: 19" Neuspeed RS10 Forged w/Falken FK-452 || 18" Detroits w/P-Zero Nero
Interior: Leather, Dynaudio, Navi, MDI, Bluetooth, 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Wrap
Exterior: Rieger Front Lip+Splitter, 4500k Fogs, Color-matched reflectors
siagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Does the noise happen somewhere between 2400 and 3000rpm?

It could also be the Wastegate rod that you are hearing which could get amplified with the help of the noise pipe.

It may be sound like a rattle, or as super steve described it ... "poprocks in a soda can", "rattling of metal washers" or "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-". Mine sounds more like "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-".
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
PENROSE
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuski View Post
Does the noise happen somewhere between 2400 and 3000rpm?

It could also be the Wastegate rod that you are hearing which could get amplified with the help of the noise pipe.

It may be sound like a rattle, or as super steve described it ... "poprocks in a soda can", "rattling of metal washers" or "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-". Mine sounds more like "fast ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-".
This sounds exactly like what is happening. Mine is also more like a fast "ch-ch-ch-ch".....same RPM range too (2400-3000)

Is this normal? Harmless? Repairable/reversable? Worth me mentioning it to the dealer?

Was there already a thread on this subject? I would like to see what others have said or experienced.

Last edited by PENROSE; 03-11-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Search for "wastegate" and you will get a coupe of threads with similar issues. Generally, it is a normal sound across the range of 2.0TSI engines from Passats to Tiguans. Although mention it in your next service because when Phenix3939 took his GTI in, his issue turned out to be a loose cowl part at the base of the windshield and his car needed a shim.

VW's official TSB is below.
Quote:
VW have issued guidance on this noise as follows...
Technical product information Transaction No.: 2021062/1
Rattling noises from engine/exhaust system Release date: 10-Jul-2009

Customer statement / workshop findings

Rattling or jarring noise from the engine compartment / exhaust system when accelerating between 2400 and 3000 rpm .

Technical background

Waste gate adjustment rod of the turbo charger rattles when accelerating.

Production change

---

Measure

Do not repair, the noises are construction-related and normal. There is no parts damage.

Warranty accounting instructions

This is no fault in the sense of warranty.
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
gray

Drives: 2010 VW GTi
I also purchased a 2010 GTi about 5 weeks back. But after roughly 1,000 miles, I've noticed a strange hissing noise at lower speeds if I accelerate quick for about a second or two. Also, it seems like my exhaust isn't as loud as before. I used to be able to feel it under heavy acceleration, but now all I hear is mostly the engine. Any ideas or thoughts?
gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
mmm def
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 05 M3, 07 Honda Fit
Are some of you new to turbo cars? Sounds like it. They make lots of cool noises
mmm def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Requiem4aGreen
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: too fast..
^^ that they do sir.. that they do
Old 04-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
lilzim
Autocross Newbie

Drives: CW MkVI 6MT
I'm new to turbo. But I like the noises
lilzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
FrankMK6
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Candy White 4-door DSG
I read elsewhere that someone has finally narrowed the wastegate rattle / rustling leaves noise between 2000-2800 RPMs down to the new design of the OEM diverter valve on the TSI engines. I found threads complaining about this sound on the MKV GTIs as well as the A3s.

Although VW has been telling their customers (including me) this noise is normal, it is completely unacceptable from a car that stickers for $30K! Had I noticed this sound during my various test drives I would not have purchased this car.

Has anyone who has an aftermarket Diverter Valve noticed the valve cured this rattle noise? At this point that may be our only option to cure this problem.

Just for clarification: I love the whistle sound the turbo makes, the rattle noise I am referring to is completely different. My last two 2.0T engines (Audi FSI) did not make this obnoxious rattle noise.

Thanks for any insight!
FrankMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
cnimativ
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
Are some of you new to turbo cars? Sounds like it. They make lots of cool noises
The specific noise isn't in my '06 Audi A3 or '01 Volvo S40; both are turbo cars, and the A3 even has the same engine.

Mine has the "poprock in a tin can" sound. The "shiooooo shiooooo shiooooo" sound I am not worried about...
cnimativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
Burntchicken
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 Man. Black Gti
My car goes "whoo whoo"
Old 08-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #16
jcarson112
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Tornado Red GTI
jcarson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #17
maryflint

Drives: Project car
have you tried checking your fuel system in your engine? maybe there are some problem with the air filter or some sort. My uncle is having the same problem with his car, what he did is to have his entire engine checked. I think he even bought a vw engine rebuild kit.
maryflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:23 AM   #18
JiunYaw
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Golf Gti Carbon Grey
i having this problem as well. just today. sound like something/hose leaking sound from the dashboard passenger seat. It is paranoid and annoying. May someone lead me to solve the problem. it is very loud.

Please
JiunYaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem4aGreen View Post
^^ that they do sir.. that they do
Yupo...sounds like diverter valve noises to me....
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #20
JiunYaw
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Golf Gti Carbon Grey
The sound doesnt occurs since 3 months ago but now occurs like some leaking whistling sound hope there is someone outside help me.
Bring to workshop check most of the items.

I would like to know if Diverter Valve Defect. Will it appears in the VAG COM ?

Again - My problem is whistling sound when i hit the acceleration pedal. it start 3k rpm to 5.5k Rpm. In short, it happen when i full throttle, that's it. hrmm anyone have this problem?
JiunYaw is offline   Reply With Quote