GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So the whole timing chain pulley issue...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
agreed^ and shit, the 1 series really isn't the pinnacle of "reliability" either :laugh:

balls

marslee

Ready to race!
I had timing chain issue probably couple months ago. It took me probably 3seconds to start up engine, and the engine didn't sounds right, and it was very weak, meanwhile my engine light showed up. I went to HS tuning, they diagnosed it for me, it was kind of misfire. They said I have to go back to dealer which I bought at Columbus OH. Actually I didn't go to Columbus, cuz my car was able to start up at that time, I called the towing truck, and went to dealer near by Cleveland.

I spent around $450($250 labor fee) to fix it, the adviser tole me that GTi has too much power and extra torque when you in stage 2. (Yes, I was in stage 2 at that time).

It was happened around 42000miles, I change oil every 5000miles. But it happened. No Warranty coverage.

I don't know what's going on in the future, I just hoping my GTI running smoothly and everything will be fine.

DarthMaul

Ready to race!
I had timing chain issue probably couple months ago. It took me probably 3seconds to start up engine, and the engine didn't sounds right, and it was very weak, meanwhile my engine light showed up. I went to HS tuning, they diagnosed it for me, it was kind of misfire. They said I have to go back to dealer which I bought at Columbus OH. Actually I didn't go to Columbus, cuz my car was able to start up at that time, I called the towing truck, and went to dealer near by Cleveland.

I spent around $450($250 labor fee) to fix it, the adviser tole me that GTi has too much power and extra torque when you in stage 2. (Yes, I was in stage 2 at that time).

It was happened around 42000miles, I change oil every 5000miles. But it happened. No Warranty coverage.

I don't know what's going on in the future, I just hoping my GTI running smoothly and everything will be fine.

What did the repair entail? Did they just replace the tensioner and re-time the engine?

marslee

Ready to race!
What did the repair entail? Did they just replace the tensioner and re-time the engine?

alright, here is the statement they made:
Test variable cam timing and found is not responding in spec, replace control valve in intake cam, due to improper timing misfires occurred and rough idle. All faults were related to this issue.

I believe they replaced the control valve, and re timing the engine.

Btw, the adviser told me that every time we shift the gear whatever from 6 to 5, or 5 to 4, or 4 to 3, it causes the oil pressure raise, and the timing chain would probably go wrong.

This is all I know from this experience.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
$450 with labor? phew, not bad at all. I'll go back to worrying about other things now, lol....

of the 25k US GTIs sold in the last 2 years or so, how many have had this Tensioner issue.

Please don't say one, or two.

DarthMaul

Ready to race!
alright, here is the statement they made:
Test variable cam timing and found is not responding in spec, replace control valve in intake cam, due to improper timing misfires occurred and rough idle. All faults were related to this issue.

I believe they replaced the control valve, and re timing the engine.

Btw, the adviser told me that every time we shift the gear whatever from 6 to 5, or 5 to 4, or 4 to 3, it causes the oil pressure raise, and the timing chain would probably go wrong.

This is all I know from this experience.

No wonder it was so cheap. This repair has nothing to do with timing chain tensioner failure. It's the VVT actuator that failed.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
doh.....

Kal-GTI

Ready to race!
Wait, what? I'm missing the point or something here.

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
All i know is that I didn't buy a 2010 brand new GTI to worry about every little part breaking.....let alone the motor blowing over a fricken tensioner with basic mods. Especially when the damn thing runs a chain. If my motor goes because of it......i'll either rebuild it or completely switch brands because there is no way in hell it should be any type of common problem

To me if its that damn bad then I wouldn't have even bought the damn car. I woulda gone with a fricken shelby gt 500 or a track evo or something.

All I'm saying is that if you have to change a timing chain tensioner just to mod the motor without it blowing then the motor is a piece of shit lol.....and that kind of r and d and design philosophy is something I will never invest in..

Again i seriously doubt this is a real problem that happens all the time because it would've definitely come up by now especially the way ppl womp on their motors. Shit you have zack and other guys running 350 to 400 whatever the hell wheel and plenty of other flogging the motor out.....not to mention apr would probably mentioned it as well like they did with the water pumps and what not as they do race these tsi motors.

DarthMaul

Ready to race!
All i know is that I didn't buy a 2010 brand new GTI to worry about every little part breaking.....let alone the motor blowing over a fricken tensioner with basic mods. Especially when the damn thing runs a chain. If my motor goes because of it......i'll either rebuild it or completely switch brands because there is no way in hell it should be any type of common problem

To me if its that damn bad then I wouldn't have even bought the damn car. I woulda gone with a fricken shelby gt 500 or a track evo or something.

All I'm saying is that if you have to change a timing chain tensioner just to mod the motor without it blowing then the motor is a piece of shit lol.....and that kind of r and d and design philosophy is something I will never invest in..

Again i seriously doubt this is a real problem that happens all the time because it would've definitely come up by now especially the way ppl womp on their motors. Shit you have zack and other guys running 350 to 400 whatever the hell wheel and plenty of other flogging the motor out.....not to mention apr would probably mentioned it as well like they did with the water pumps and what not as they do race these tsi motors.

I agree, it looks like the risk of this failure occurring is very low just based on the lack of discussion on this subject across multiple forums. However, it would be good to get some metrics as far as redesigned tensioner cost, labor time to replace, etc.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Well folks, I love your comments and feedback on the matter and I agree with most of you. I also don't wish this issue on anyone, not even my worst enemy. But the fact here is that we do have lots of examples of this happening. Luckily most of these issues is on 2009 and 2010 model cars, so there does seem to be "progress" on VW's side. However, we also now have 1 example of a 2012 model car.

What should we take away from this information?

1. This issue can happen to anyone, whether you're stock or modified. Of course, if you're modified, you would technically increase your chances of this happening.
2. These engines are NOT bullet proof like some people would like to believe.
3. Keep the symptoms and information in mind. So that IF (knocks on wood) it ever happens to anyone here, you'd know to leave the car switched off and avoid major damage.

That's why these forums are here. It's here to distribute knowledge to all the other vdubbers. Knowledge is power.

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
ONE example of a 2012 car... Come on man. And you wouldn't even know about this problem if not for enthusiast forums. Do you have ANY examples of 2011/2012 cars that this has happened to locally in SA? Nope. But there are tons of 2009/2010 cars that I know it has happened to. If you look at ALL the GTI's VW have sold world wide, and add up how many engine replacements they've had because of this particular "problem", I think the percentage will be way lower than you think.

Theses forums that we're all on are excellent for getting information, hell I don't think I've ever learned as much about a car as I have about my GTI, but this is a double edged sword because it can cause panic like this...

All cars have issues, countless friends with brand new Audi's and BMW's have had issues with their cars. 135i isn't a poster car for reliability mind you, but hey, to each their own. I get what you're saying, and the thought of your entire engine blowing is worrying, but calm it down to a mild panic. :p

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
ONE example of a 2012 car... Come on man. And you wouldn't even know about this problem if not for enthusiast forums. Do you have ANY examples of 2011/2012 cars that this has happened to locally in SA? Nope. But there are tons of 2009/2010 cars that I know it has happened to. If you look at ALL the GTI's VW have sold world wide, and add up how many engine replacements they've had because of this particular "problem", I think the percentage will be way lower than you think.

Theses forums that we're all on are excellent for getting information, hell I don't think I've ever learned as much about a car as I have about my GTI, but this is a double edged sword because it can cause panic like this...

All cars have issues, countless friends with brand new Audi's and BMW's have had issues with their cars. 135i isn't a poster car for reliability mind you, but hey, to each their own. I get what you're saying, and the thought of your entire engine blowing is worrying, but calm it down to a mild panic. :p

No! I'm not calming it down! I want pandemonium! How else am I going to convince my wife to let me buy the 135i?? :laugh: