GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
red_dragon
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
No, it's just pure profit for the dealers. Best Buy does the same thing for electronics. Only suckers purchase it. Have a little more faith in your purchase/brand.
red_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
miguelr
FIA GT Champion

Drives: slow
I always wanted to be like:

them: Would you like to purchase an extended warranty?
me: Are you implying your product is a PoS?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
JYx
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 CW 4dr GTI Autobahn
How do you go about canceling/returning the extended warranty?
I purchased my car not too long ago with the extended warranty and I'm starting to regret it after reading this post....
JYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
Nearsite00
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 CW 4-Door Manual Sunroof/Navi
Ok so here is an update. I went back to cancel the extended warranty and they offered to lower it to 1300, so I kept it and have 60 days to cancel. I can also cancel at any time and get a prorated refund.

The warranty is through VW and I can use any VW dealership as well as get a replacement car if my car ever needs repair. I did just purchase the car new at a bay area dealership for 28K OTD with 0 down and 0% financing. It added $16/month to my monthly which is $488/month total which includes the extended warranty.

I'm still really on the fence at this point, not sure if I want to keep it or cancel it.....
Nearsite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
nooaah
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI (Autobahn)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I guess the biggest question you must ask is what is the probability you will encounter a mechanical problem that costs more than $1,500 in the 4 years after your 3yr/36K B2B expires? Of course this provides you do not exceed the mileage limitation. Also, what does a similar warranty cost from a competitor?

Without the warranty, would you trade in the car after four years? If this $1,500 extended warranty permits you to keep the GTI for seven years, it may save you the cost of extra depreciation on that next car. But that is hard to estimate.

If you intend to keep the car for seven years, I do not think it would be a bad financial decision. But with any type of insurance, there is cost for peace of mind.
Just to chime in, if the car is sold before the warranty is up, they'll refund the balance.
nooaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
Baldeagle
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI, 6MT, 2-door, Tornado Red
Seven years is a long time. How many cars does anyone know that went for four years after the B2B ended with ZERO problems? Even the most reliable cars generally have one or two minor issues that cost about $300 per repair (two hours of labor and $100 for parts). And as much as we all love our GTIs, we all know they are not THE most reliable cars on the road.

So realistically you will probably spend at least $600 for repairs in years four through seven. If this $600 assumption seems reasonable and those expected repairs are fixed for free under your extended warranty, doesn’t that reduce your net cost from $1,300 to $700? The odds are extremely high you will get some use out of it.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
elwood
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2016 R 6MT
I bought an extended warranty because I plan to keep the car 5 years and I do about 20,000 miles per year. My warranty goes to 100,000 miles. Since my previous VW, many many years ago, had many expensive things go wrong, I am sure that over the 5 years, I will save money. And if I don't, for a few bucks a month, I have peace of mind.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
dreamxrik
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI 4DR 6MT Candy White
You can get stuff like this thru your auto insurance too...

I have extended coverage thru geico
dreamxrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
Shini
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '15 DBP GTI
Quote:
Seven years is a long time. How many cars does anyone know that went for four years after the B2B ended with ZERO problems? Even the most reliable cars generally have one or two minor issues that cost about $300 per repair (two hours of labor and $100 for parts). And as much as we all love our GTIs, we all know they are not THE most reliable cars on the road.

So realistically you will probably spend at least $600 for repairs in years four through seven. If this $600 assumption seems reasonable and those expected repairs are fixed for free under your extended warranty, doesn’t that reduce your net cost from $1,300 to $700? The odds are extremely high you will get some use out of it.
Yeah but how many of those problems wouldn't have been covered by the powertrain?

Does the OP plan on keeping the car 7 years?

I bought the wheel/tire protection, and something that included rental car coverage...it was originally like $5/mo for them to add it, negotiated down to .50 cents. Cost more to have rental coverage on my insurance with esurance and I get the added benefit of the wheel/tire protection. Score.

Always negotiate that stuff, play hard ball, if it seems like it's a lot, and it's something you can get through your insurance company anytime you want, or can be bought later, I wouldn't do it unless the deal is just REALLY juicy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
"oh sorry, is that my dong hanging out there?! ?
Shini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '15 MK7 GTI Reflex Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_dragon View Post
No, it's just pure profit for the dealers. Best Buy does the same thing for electronics. Only suckers purchase it. Have a little more faith in your purchase/brand.
Yeah, but electronics are electronics.
They are not composed of multitudes of moving parts.
They pretty much either fail or they don't.

Cars can have suspension issues, electrical issues, exhaust issues...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '15 MK7 GTI Reflex Silver
Quote:
I guess the biggest question you must ask is what is the probability you will encounter a mechanical problem that costs more than $1,500 in the 4 years after your 3yr/36K B2B expires? Of course this provides you do not exceed the mileage limitation. Also, what does a similar warranty cost from a competitor?

Without the warranty, would you trade in the car after four years? If this $1,500 extended warranty permits you to keep the GTI for seven years, it may save you the cost of extra depreciation on that next car. But that is hard to estimate.

If you intend to keep the car for seven years, I do not think it would be a bad financial decision. But with any type of insurance, there is cost for peace of mind.
Don't forget, if one problem happens shortly after another.
I've owned used cars that I'd drop $300.00 on one month, $500.00 two months later...
A couple of costly failures can get you to $1500.00 in no time.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
Nearsite00
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 CW 4-Door Manual Sunroof/Navi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Don't forget, if one problem happens shortly after another.
I've owned used cars that I'd drop $300.00 on one month, $500.00 two months later...
A couple of costly failures can get you to $1500.00 in no time.
One of the issues I see is that there is a $100 deductible for each issue, which indirectly jacks up the price of the warranty.
Nearsite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
nouse4aname
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2007 Legacy GT Spec B
Yeah that's not so great. If it was 100,000 miles it would be a decent deal.
nouse4aname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #28
TRUboost
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 CSG GTI/'13 CW GLI
It will either pay for itself down the road or it won't, obviously if companies continue to sell them they are usually on the winning end.

If you do cancel it though don't expect to see the money, VW will send a pro rated check to your finance company and they will take it off your balance, so you would make 3 less payments if you pay 500 bucks a month (minus whatever they take for the few weeks you use it).
TRUboost is offline   Reply With Quote