GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: Tyrolsport brake stiffening kit

IVVVIKris

Ready to race!
Summary: easy install and it nicely bridges the gap between the softness of the stock GTI brakes and the stiffness of stock MkV R32 brakes.

Install: very straightforward with the instructions posted on TS's website. The snap rings were the trickiest part, they're like keyrings where you have to get the end started on the edge of the guide sleeve then work it around. Someone posted on vortex to get a pair of snap ring pliers for this install- those will not work on these snap rings!

**Looking at the install pics again, it does show traditional snap rings where those pliers would work, but the ones in my kit were the spiral key ring type, YMMV.**

Results: Initial braking happens with much less pedal travel and feels more substantial over stock. I had a MkV R32 with pretty stiff stock brakes and this kit brings the GTI close to that same feel. Fluid change is next!

Feel free to shoot me any questions. I apologize for the lack of pics, I was doing this install at a navy base auto hobby shop and they were in a hurry to close. There are plenty of pics in TS's install guide:

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The kit I got last year also has the spiral rings....I've used that kind of retaining rings elsewhere also, I prefer them over traditional type anyway...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Continuous coverage in the retaining groove, they don't pop out as easily. We use them on our school's FSAE's car for all the balljoint bearing. And also without the "ear" of the C-shape ring, they don't have a spot where the diameter changes...

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Summary: easy install and it nicely bridges the gap between the softness of the stock GTI brakes and the stiffness of stock MkV R32 brakes.

Results: Initial braking happens with much less pedal travel and feels more substantial over stock. I had a MkV R32 with pretty stiff stock brakes and this kit brings the GTI close to that same feel. Fluid change is next!

Keep in mind R32/R/S3-brakes also benefit from Tyrol bushings.

;)

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
Oddly, I didn't feel that big of a difference.

Noticeable, but, not like huge huge.

Mine is the same, not too much of a difference outside of being a more consistent feel in the pedal, there is some but I think more than actual feel in the physical braking sense, there is a renewed confidence in the brakes. Does that sound more accurate?

engineered2win

Ready to race!
One issue my friend, who is a brake test engineer, brought up is that they remove the dust boots. He suggested them for a track car but not a daily driver. They require periodic lubrication, while the factory setup does not.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
One issue my friend, who is a brake test engineer, brought up is that they remove the dust boots. He suggested them for a track car but not a daily driver. They require periodic lubrication, while the factory setup does not.

^ This is true, although Tyrol do say you should try relube them every 10k or so. I've been relubing and cleaning them every time I change from track pad to street pad, and vise versa. So its not that big of a deal since you have to remove the pins when you do that. I'll also be doing it when I switch between snow and summer tires...

inc55

Go Kart Champion
OP, have you changed brake assist to the strongest setting? If not, I would highly recommend it. Feels much more like the R32 brakes after.

clarification for those who don't have an account and creep ^ it doesn't increase the strength of the brakes it self, just puts more work by the car, instead of you hard braking to achieve the same result.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
And even further clarification for those that didn't quite understand the above post- it makes the pedal travel less before it applies the brake pressure. Set brake assist to 2.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Changes on channel 09/brake assist don't change anything on pedal travel and
braking on normal street driving.

The brake assist is an emergency function only present when you hit the pedal
in a panic situation (or on track). In this case the BA applies FULL brake pressure
don't matter how hard (or smoothly) you kick the brake. It only depends on how
QUICK you kick it.

So changes on the BA cannot make any difference on daily driving.

The background I did this mod: On track (or really hard braking on empty roads)
I want to hit the brake very rapidly without this BA intervention. The BA helps
grannies to stop better, but it disturbs pedal modulation in these extreme situa-
tions - mainly track and autocross.