GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #57
sprytdi
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny@TireRack.com View Post
Late to the party, sorry. In regards to slotted or drilled rotors: The function of a rotor is basically to act as a heat sink. When you remove material from a rotor (i.e. slots or holes) you limit the ability of a rotor to dissipate heat. Some do tout the benefits of slotted rotors cleaning the pads or assisting when a pad out-gasses. However, in my opinion, less is not more when it comes to braking. That being said....they look awesome :-)
I think you should do a little homework!
Slotted and/or drilled rotors dont need to soak up the same ammount of heat cuz they allow the super hot gasses that occour when braking to leave the pad and rotor surface, while at the same time allowing cool air directly to the heat zone, therefor they dont really need the material that was removed to create the groove or drill the hole to absorb heat, rotors are a heat sink only because of the job they do, by design they are supposed to stay cool enough to allow the pad not to glaze under extreme braking, and get warm fast enough for the pad to grab, not just saok up heat when braking? Right?
Drilled/slotted rotors do allow for more powerful braking power from the same calipers, reason being, the pad hits the rotor and stays in contact with the rotor during the entire braking duration, gasses, debris, heat and water all get directed away from the rotor leaving a clean pad and cool rotor for any braking need.
so your explanation does not make sense to me.
could you explain your theory further? Seeing as though you are a site sponser and a tire rack rep, i would imagine you should have some solid information.
sprytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #58
plac

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprytdi View Post
I think you should do a little homework!
Slotted and/or drilled rotors dont need to soak up the same ammount of heat cuz they allow the super hot gasses that occour when braking to leave the pad and rotor surface, while at the same time allowing cool air directly to the heat zone, therefor they dont really need the material that was removed to create the groove or drill the hole to absorb heat, rotors are a heat sink only because of the job they do, by design they are supposed to stay cool enough to allow the pad not to glaze under extreme braking, and get warm fast enough for the pad to grab, not just saok up heat when braking? Right?
Drilled/slotted rotors do allow for more powerful braking power from the same calipers, reason being, the pad hits the rotor and stays in contact with the rotor during the entire braking duration, gasses, debris, heat and water all get directed away from the rotor leaving a clean pad and cool rotor for any braking need.
so your explanation does not make sense to me.
could you explain your theory further? Seeing as though you are a site sponser and a tire rack rep, i would imagine you should have some solid information.
bump for the kid trying to school the tire rack employee. lol.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #59
AF-MKVI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 DSG GTI & 2011 DSG TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
bump for the kid trying to school the tire rack employee. lol.
Honest question here, if drilling does nothing why does every high performance car made in the last 20 years come with them? Weather it's on Iron or Carbon brakes they all have them.
2011 DSG GTI- APR Stage II -APR Carbonio I&II -Eurojet DP V1 -Neuspeed C/B -Godspeed FMIC -Neuspeed IDP -AWE TOP -R8 Coils -034 Engine & Trans Mounts -Neuspeed Tq Mount Insert -H&R Sport Springs -MKV Bilstein B8's -TT Strut Mounts -Passat FCA's -H&R 28mm F&R Sways -UltraRacing Mid Brace -Stern Brace -Maniacs DSG Paddles -AWE Boost Gauge -OEM Front Lip -Underbody Aero -RS3 Brake Ducts -17" Nurburgrings's w/ 235 DW's-Neuspeed Rotors -Stoptech Pads -USP SS Lines -Tyrolsport Bushings>13.26@105.10
AF-MKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #60
plac

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-MKVI View Post
Honest question here, if drilling does nothing why does every high performance car made in the last 20 years come with them? Weather it's on Iron or Carbon brakes they all have them.
why you asking me? my point was Sonny knows what he's talking about..
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #61
AF-MKVI
FIA GT Champion

Sorry, thought you would know plac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny@TireRack.com View Post
Late to the party, sorry. In regards to slotted or drilled rotors: The function of a rotor is basically to act as a heat sink. When you remove material from a rotor (i.e. slots or holes) you limit the ability of a rotor to dissipate heat. Some do tout the benefits of slotted rotors cleaning the pads or assisting when a pad out-gasses. However, in my opinion, less is not more when it comes to braking. That being said....they look awesome :-)

So Sonny, same question. Why do all the OEM's go with drilled rotors on all their high performance car's then?
2011 DSG GTI- APR Stage II -APR Carbonio I&II -Eurojet DP V1 -Neuspeed C/B -Godspeed FMIC -Neuspeed IDP -AWE TOP -R8 Coils -034 Engine & Trans Mounts -Neuspeed Tq Mount Insert -H&R Sport Springs -MKV Bilstein B8's -TT Strut Mounts -Passat FCA's -H&R 28mm F&R Sways -UltraRacing Mid Brace -Stern Brace -Maniacs DSG Paddles -AWE Boost Gauge -OEM Front Lip -Underbody Aero -RS3 Brake Ducts -17" Nurburgrings's w/ 235 DW's-Neuspeed Rotors -Stoptech Pads -USP SS Lines -Tyrolsport Bushings>13.26@105.10
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #62
plac

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-MKVI View Post
Sorry, thought you would know plac.
power is my wheelhouse. i know very little about suspension/chassis/brakes really..
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #63
AF-MKVI
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
power is my wheelhouse. i know very little about suspension/chassis/brakes really..
No worries Just an honest question, seems to be on one side of the camp are the go with plain rotors only guys or you are a poser and the other side is drilling and slotting is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Surprised with all the great testing tire rack does they have not done any testing of these upgrades. Would love to have a conclusive answer backed up by science here and not opinions.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #64
plac

Drives:
ah my slotted rotors work fine. not neccessarily better than stockers from what i have felt.. the pads make a lot more difference than any rotor.. but they look good, so i like them. it doesn't brake *worse* either...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #65
AF-MKVI
FIA GT Champion

Found my own answer... with science yay.

SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0691

Synopsis

http://www.tazcobra.com/SAE_2006010691_Synopsis.pdf

Conclusion, drilled is better than plain. Drilled and slotted is suggested for best performance and out performs blanks in almost all areas. Only downside noted is increased pad wear by 20-30% on the street and up to 50% faster on the track.

Last edited by AF-MKVI; 09-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #66
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
I've always heard drilled cracks easier than anything else... and most do not track with drilled, yet many OEM MFG's put them on cars because of the "look".

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #67
A_Bowers

Drives: MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
I've always heard drilled cracks easier than anything else... and most do not track with drilled, yet many OEM MFG's put them on cars because of the "look".
This.

Never had drilled rotors. Slotted or solid disk. Of you get a good quality rotor, with pads and lines and fluid, no reason why you should need anything else.

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
A_Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #68
DarkCloak
Banned

Drives: 2010 VW GTI Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
Incorrect. I see a large amount of drilled discs on Race cars and track cars. That is only with Iron however. Indy and F1 cars have switched to carbon and thus have removed the drilled holes. Plus Open wheels cars obviously have 0 issues with receiving adequate airflow to the brakes.

Despite popular belief gasses are still produced by modern brake pads particularly in the rain. However this is due to the semi-metallic pads interacting specifically with Iron. This is more common on the higher performance street and track pads that most of us use that intend to go to a track. Thus with the development of C rotors they have now become obsolete.

As to the comment earlier that no professional racers use slots. NASCAR use them extensively. See photo below:

The most interesting rotor design now is the wave rotor. The RS5 is using this design on Iron rotors. If you opt for the Carbon though they disappear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCTSFrontBrakeAssembllySide.JPG (76.3 KB, 1883 views)
File Type: jpg wave rotor.jpg (111.0 KB, 2400 views)
DarkCloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #69
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
thanks^ i'm assuming people meant with the common compounds we see from the aftermarket or? otherwise, yeah, that must be a huge misconception then.

I recently drove the RS5 and did see the awesome wave rotors.. pretty wild.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #70
DarkCloak
Banned

Drives: 2010 VW GTI Ice Silver
I saw them for the first time this weekend at Coronado Speed Fest. I was immediatly lured into the brakes. I got to speak to the Audi Rep. This guy was not an engineer though and probably reading from some sales brochure. The waves allow for additional heat to escape by allowing them to rise up and then be swept away as the disc spins. I have not done any independent research into the subject so I can not comment on the validity of these claims
DarkCloak is offline   Reply With Quote