GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
-yz-
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: Golf R
Any DIY Suspension Install guides?

Ordered coilovers, going to do the install with jackstands so can someone link me to an install guide if any are out there?
-yz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
SworksR20
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 Golf R
With such a complicated procedure...do you really want to do it yourself? I always trust suspension installs to professionals.
SworksR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
webcrawlr
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 12 Golf R
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37480

Make sure to disconnect the xenon leveling arm on the drivers rear before lowering the arm.
webcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
drhiggens
Oval Newbie

For me this is one of those things that if I didnt have access to a lift I would have someone else do it. that said.

this should get you started.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126937

if you are feeling brave you can replace the bushings as well you will be happy you did. If you dont have a whole crap load of miles you may not even need a blow torch to get them out either. just my 2 cents
drhiggens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
-yz-
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SworksR20 View Post
With such a complicated procedure...do you really want to do it yourself? I always trust suspension installs to professionals.
complicated? nah man. I've done plenty of VW installs, this is my 6th VW. Just wanna make sure the install tech write up is similar to the others.

Thanks for the links.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
trigger_storey
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 VW GTI 2DR CW 6MT
It's not that hard. I can't find the thread on used on mkv but the vortex thread is http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Product-Review
I did it by myself using a lift in about 2 hours, shouldn't take much more time using jack stands as long as you make sure they are placed more towards the middle so the control arms can still drop down.
2012 CW | 6 spd | Magnaflow Catback | FK Streetline | Custom Front Endlinks | Modified Shifter | Klii Interlagos Mirror Wrap, Steering Wheel Badge Inlay, Rear Badge Inlay, License Plate Frame | Smoothed & Painted Intake Manifold | Anodized Valve Cover | TDI Shift Knob & Boot | "LM" Reps 18x8
trigger_storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
-yz-
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger_storey View Post
It's not that hard. I can't find the thread on used on mkv but the vortex thread is http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Product-Review
I did it by myself using a lift in about 2 hours, shouldn't take much more time using jack stands as long as you make sure they are placed more towards the middle so the control arms can still drop down.
Wait, so is it the same as MKV installs?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
trigger_storey
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 VW GTI 2DR CW 6MT
Identical for mine. Now I don't have the auto leveling headlights or whatever so I have no idea about that. Mine was the exact same as the MKV platform though.
2012 CW | 6 spd | Magnaflow Catback | FK Streetline | Custom Front Endlinks | Modified Shifter | Klii Interlagos Mirror Wrap, Steering Wheel Badge Inlay, Rear Badge Inlay, License Plate Frame | Smoothed & Painted Intake Manifold | Anodized Valve Cover | TDI Shift Knob & Boot | "LM" Reps 18x8
trigger_storey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
drhiggens
Oval Newbie

should be about 99.9% the same so close the the only thing with be the placement of the mounting points in mm. should be good we used that as a reference for my buddies mkvi GTI.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
webcrawlr
Touring Car Champion

The install I linked is the install I followed for my spring install on my R. All the steps are the same except for one, the xenon leveling arm.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
-yz-
Drag Racing Champion

Thanks. Car has less than 500 miles on it, may just spend $250 and do the H&R Super Sport springs rather than going ballz deep into $1200 coilovers. How harsh are those springs on the stock struts? I'm never fond of doing a spring on OEM stock install however assuming the car is right out of the factory .... ?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
drhiggens
Oval Newbie

my understand is the euro cars run a bit lower so if your not putting on the race springs then you should not have a lot of trouble (not more then normal wear an tear) on the stock struts.
I am no expert by any means so please someone step in and correct me if im way off base.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
webcrawlr
Touring Car Champion

Euro R's have a spring with the same spring rate but about 1/2 inch lower ride height. Euro OEM R springs is what I installed as I didn't want a large drop and wanted just enough to close about 1 inch of wheel gap. Which when combined with 235/35/19 tires they did.