GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New VW Golf GTI MK6 Autobahn problems with gearbox/transmission and electronics???

mbc

Hi guys,

I am having problems with my new GTI MK6 Autobahn. I have had problems since almost day one and now I have about 1000 miles. Aside from some minor electronic issues, my gearbox/transmission doesn't seem to be working like it should. The majority of the time it feels notchy, makes noises from underneath the car, kicks me out with the clutch all the way in, and some times grinds. Even worse, 4 nights ago it wouldn't go into reverse with the clutch to the floor at a stand still on a flat road until after 3-5 tries, and tonight it would go into 1st until after 3 tries.

Did I get the worst GTI in existence or is the GTI gearbox/transmission just crap... Additionally, does anyone know what the problem could be, syncros? Is this going to be on my car fax if I have to fix it or get a new transmission? ... and is this enough to bring up the lemon law?

Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks!

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Bring it back to the dealer and have it looked at??...I doubt the gearbox has syncro problems especially at only 1000 miles...Is this your first car with a manual gearbox?

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
Not dismissing that there may be a problem, I have this to share.

When I got my car, I went through a short phase thinking my gearbox had become notchy. Among other MKVI mannerisms, I then became familiar with the rev hang caused by the heavy flywheel, which with such a quiet engine, I didn't notice and it turns out I was shifting too early. I've also had difficulty with engagement, but that has been solved when starting from a stop by double clutching (clutch in - neutral - clutch out - clutch in - gear) into 1st and reverse. I actually just made a short thread about rev hang in the 'Driving Techniques' section.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Sometimes my car won't go into reverse easily.. I put the clutch in, put it in 1st, neutral and then reverse and it goes in just fine.. try that next time.

mbc

Bring it back to the dealer and have it looked at??...I doubt the gearbox has syncro problems especially at only 1000 miles...Is this your first car with a manual gearbox?

yeah, i have and am... they are bringing in their special know it all service guy.... Anything else you can think might be causing this... Yes this is the first manual that I have "owned" but I have experience and believe that I know when a stick is working properly...

Not dismissing that there may be a problem, I have this to share.

When I got my car, I went through a short phase thinking my gearbox had become notchy. Among other MKVI mannerisms, I then became familiar with the rev hang caused by the heavy flywheel, which with such a quiet engine, I didn't notice and it turns out I was shifting too early. I've also had difficulty with engagement, but that has been solved when starting from a stop by double clutching (clutch in - neutral - clutch out - clutch in - gear) into 1st and reverse. I actually just made a short thread about rev hang in the 'Driving Techniques' section.

Yeah I have noticed similar events and I think that is rather obnoxious for me to have to do a work around just to get into a gear and I was hopping there would be a better solution...

Sometimes my car won't go into reverse easily.. I put the clutch in, put it in 1st, neutral and then reverse and it goes in just fine.. try that next time.

=P ok i will ... is that normal for GTI's?

Thanks for the responses ... lemme know if there is more I should know before I go back to the dealer and call a lawyer

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2012 Jetta GLI and have had similar experiences with shifting. I have 820 miles on the car. I brought it to two different dealerships, who both said things are operating normally. I am trying different shift knobs and have ordered the 42Draft Design metal shifter bushings and a short shifter from HPA to see if they help how the shifter feels/performs. I also cut a half an inch/inch off the height of the stock shifter lever.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

BS2H

Ready to race!
The not going into reverse is normal. Reverse has no syncros. If you can't get into reverse, take your foot off the brake and let the car move a few centimeters and it will go into reverse.

Just try to learn the intricacies of this transmission. It takes some time but it's a lot of fun when you get it. From the 1-2 shift try shifting at 2200 rpm and slowly letting out the clutch.

Anyway, good luck.

raaalph

Ready to race!
Someone else started a thread recently with the same problem (brand new car with trouble going into gear). It sounds like your shift linkages might be off. This is a pretty easy fix (loosen linkages, lock shifter in home position, tighten linkages), but it's worth mentioning to the service techs when you bring your car in.

Edit: Here's the other thread I mentioned http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44055

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
I also forgot to add that I installed a torque mount insert as well, to see if that helped the shifting experience. The drivetrain felt a little tighter, but the shifting experience was not helped and almost felt worse/ more tricky.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I've got a new 2012 MKVI too, I only have problems getting it into gear if I don't hold the button down hard enough

raaalph

Ready to race!
This sounds exactly like issues people have when installing a short shifter and not adjusting properly...

Exactly...I think I've now seen 3 threads about new cars with this issue within the past week. Maybe VW has been slacking on getting the linkages adjusted properly?

mbc

Thanks everyone -keep posting!

I think you need to bring the car in with serious issues 4 times before you can apply for lemon law relief in Illinois.

Wed will be my 3rd time within a month... so almost there! =/

Someone else started a thread recently with the same problem (brand new car with trouble going into gear). It sounds like your shift linkages might be off. This is a pretty easy fix (loosen linkages, lock shifter in home position, tighten linkages), but it's worth mentioning to the service techs when you bring your car in.
Edit: Here's the other thread I mentioned http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44055

Thanks, I will definitely bring it up

More on the story -I have contacted everyone including sales men, 2 managers from the dealer, service supervisor, VW home office, etc... EVERYONE told me I should not be experiences any of the above -Yet, the service guy couldn't find anything ... weird

Also, the manager said it won't go on my car fax if I fix the transmission, but I don't have 100% faith in that

Car Goes in Tmrw wed and they're will be the "special" service guy and a regional manager involved... Ill keep you posted.

I have to admit my VW experience so far is a HUGE disappointment (...and that's an understatement) and I can't believe I am having these kinds of problems on a brand new car.... Pretty sure this will be my first and last VW

raaalph

Ready to race!
I really don't know the extent (or cause) of your issue, but I think the shift linkage issue is worth serious consideration before writing this car off as a lemon. I've seen other guys on the forum start threads stating "serious transmission issues" when this could be a pretty simple fix.

Here's the Dieselgeek Sigma 6 shifter install guide: http://www.dieselgeek.com/v/install_guides/sigmasixinstall.pdf

If you read this starting at page 21, it shows how to properly adjust the shift linkages. I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but this procedure could be accomplished in 10-15 minutes.

Should a car need things like this corrected when this new? Hell no. But it might be worth looking into if the VW techs can't get your issue resolved.