GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accelerator Pedal Dead Zone Fix With OEM Part Revision For 2010-2011 Manual

allset

Go Kart Champion
As many of us with 2010's and some 2011's know there is a dead zone/delay when depressing the gas pedal where there is no response from the engine when revving at idle and a delay when getting on it. I always noticed it but wrote it off as a vw drive-by-wire quirk. It wasn't until 2012 guys started posting they have no idea what we were talking about and have no delay or dead zone.

After some research and consultation with VW, there have been 4 revisions of the accelerator position sensor 2 built into the pedal since 2010. Ive been told the latest has no delay/dead zone.

For 2010 manual's the part number is:

1K1 721 503 AD

other potential part #:

1K1 721 503 AN

Which is also the same # as what's going into the 2012's. There are a few latest revisions as i was told there is some variation in the harness so don't go out and buy based on this part number. Have VW run your VIN to confirm the right one for you if u need this fix. I don't know if this applies to DSG.

I haven't bought it yet but plan too soon. List price from VW is about $199 but may be cheaper elsewhere.

Good luck and please post relevant info.

disclaimer:

don't take this as gospel as this info came from a vw parts guy and me leaning over the counter writing down the info and what he was saying about the # of revisions, results and dates.

I'm more than willing to be the Guinea pig on this but after i finish my current meth build.

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
This could be plausable. My 2011 MT had a bit of the dead zone. It was only noticeble when the car was cold. My 2012 DSG so far seems to not have any.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
As many of us with 2010's and some 2011's know there is a dead zone/delay when depressing the gas pedal where there is no response from the engine when revving at idle and a delay when getting on it. I always noticed it but wrote it off as a vw drive-by-wire quirk. It wasn't until 2012 guys started posting they have no idea what we were talking about and have no delay or dead zone.

After some research and consultation with VW, there have been 4 revisions of the accelerator position sensor 2 built into the pedal since 2010. Ive been told the latest has no delay/dead zone.

For 2010 manual's the part number is:

1K1721503AD

Which is also the same # as what's going into the 2012's. There are a few latest revisions as i was told there is some variation in the harness so don't go out and buy based on this part number. Have VW run your VIN to confirm the right one for you if u need this fix. I don't know if this applies to DSG.

I haven't bought it yet but plan too soon. List price from VW is about $199 but may be cheaper elsewhere.

Good luck and please post relevant info.

Soooo, would it be done under warranty or do it on our own? I have been noticing that few times.

allset

Go Kart Champion
This could be plausable. My 2011 MT had a bit of the dead zone. It was only noticeble when the car was cold. My 2012 DSG so far seems to not have any.

its def an issue. first b/c alot of ppl have noticed and second, VW has had 4 revisions of the part in 2 years

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
The dead space is definitely present in my '12. The ghetto DIY I made fixed 90% of it, but seeing 4 revisions they must be working to fix something so I'll go pull my pedal and see if the part # matches the latest revision. brb

- Viola! My '12 model has part # 1K1721503AN

I'll call VW and get the scoop on attaining the revision.

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
The dead space is definitely present in my '12. The ghetto DIY I made fixed 90% of it, but seeing 4 revisions they must be working to fix something so I'll go pull my pedal and see if the part # matches the latest revision. brb

i would assume u have the latest, manual or DSG?

Its really pronouced in 2010. Ive driven 2012's and couldnt reprodue the issue.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Soooo, would it be done under warranty or do it on our own? I have been noticing that few times.

good question. i guess that depends on the dealer.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
This is interesting.

My 2012 DSG has this stupid dead-zone that really annoys me. It makes me get too used to it so when I hop into other people's cars, I get a bit jolted when I softly touch the pedal and the car just goes.

Would anyone be able to post a picture of where the serial number would be in reference to the pedal?

allset

Go Kart Champion
i thinl the last revision was nov/dec of 2011, so there are 2012s out there with older versions i guess

allset

Go Kart Champion
disclaimer:

don't take this as gospel as this info came from a vw parts guy and me leaning over the counter writing the info and what he was saying about the # of revisions and dates.

I'm more than willing to be the Guinea pig on this but after i finish my current meth build.

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
Manual, edited my post above, take a look

no shit. whadda ya know. like i said with a 11/2011 rev date there are lots of 2012s out there with earlier revs of the pedal. This would explain the varying experiences

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
This is interesting.

My 2012 DSG has this stupid dead-zone that really annoys me. It makes me get too used to it so when I hop into other people's cars, I get a bit jolted when I softly touch the pedal and the car just goes.

Would anyone be able to post a picture of where the serial number would be in reference to the pedal?

Once removed, it's on the bottom of the assembly, on a white sticker.

allset

Go Kart Champion