GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
GTiBri
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 1983 Rabbit GTI, 2011 MK6 GTI
Forgive an old man, but why so low?

I'll admit, I'm an old guy in this crowd at 43. I had a '83 GTI I owned and drove for 14 years. I love the performance and handling of my current '11 6sp GTI, and it has continued to deliver a smile each time I drive it.

Aside from the smaller wheel gap some desire, what is driving reason behind so many Dubbers wanting to put air bags or coil springs on their car to lower them to the bump stops? Doesn't it ride like a covered wagon and destroy what makes the GTI shine as a hot hatch?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
LOL.... A++++

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiBri View Post
I'll admit, I'm an old guy in this crowd at 43. I had a '83 GTI I owned and drove for 14 years. I love the performance and handling of my current '11 6sp GTI, and it has continued to deliver a smile each time I drive it.

Aside from the smaller wheel gap some desire, what is driving reason behind so many Dubbers wanting to put air bags or coil springs on their car to lower them to the bump stops? Doesn't it ride like a covered wagon and destroy what makes the GTI shine as a hot hatch?
Sweet first post...

Just wait till you see some wheel poke and useless giant roof racks...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
A_Bowers

Drives: MKVI GTI
With ya there...4x4 status here!

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
DummyBear
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: The R - 2012
"becuz racecar"
Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
BusinessAsUsual
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '15 GTI
because it looks badass. To a certain extent.

All about personal preference
Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Quote:

Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Skinned
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Living in New Mexico (and an old fart too) I would smash the living shit out of the bottom of the car if it were any lower. I seriously considered a Subie just because it's more rally.

How do the cars that are lowered that much do on normal roads? Do you guys find yourself rubbing the road or the car often? Looks like that's what would happen but I've never been in one like that so I really don't know.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Oval Champion

Drives: over the posted speed limit errday
I like this post.

I'm definatly not a fan of poke or tuck on these cars. It is a dramatic look. Granted I like to see a car slammed. I just think this is the wrong car for that.

They do it for the wow factor.

Thank you HS Tuning!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
GS_GTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 14 Z51, 15 GT PP, 15 JKU Hard Rock
Quote:

I like where this thread is going.....

I'm 41 and agree on the airbags and stretched tires and skateboard wheel offsets...

I've got the Driver Gear springs to make the car look right (to me) and handle a little better, but I believe more was achieved with the sway bars and my tires.

I come from the days where you don't hit the bump stops EVER, and your wheels should stay inside the fenders.

I think some GTI'ers really liked this look and went with it:

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
GTiBri
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 1983 Rabbit GTI, 2011 MK6 GTI
I know, I outed myself on post#1 for being "out of touch", but I've been a lurker for almost a year and decided this would be a fun way to join the group, lol. I admit I do like to see a car set up on springs that make it look purposeful and geared towards handling (see APR's track cars). I've seen a few GTIs in person slammed, and the wheels and tires barely tucked up under the fenders. I always wondered if the wheel made contact often with those setups?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
manny2206
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 base gti
Too good
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
I know, I outed myself on post#1 for being "out of touch", but I've been a lurker for almost a year and decided this would be a fun way to join the group, lol. I admit I do like to see a car set up on springs that make it look purposeful and geared towards handling (see APR's track cars). I've seen a few GTIs in person slammed, and the wheels and tires barely tucked up under the fenders. I always wondered if the wheel made contact often with those setups?

You bet your ass it made contact.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.

Closed Thread