GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #29
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic

To bring some flavor into this...
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #30
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post

You bet your ass it made contact.
Sweet setup. If you're goin' for the ricer look.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #31
Cheesecake
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2 DR CW MK6 GTI 6MT
Quote:

To bring some flavor into this...
TOO MUCH FLAVOR!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #32
troyguitar
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2004 Z06, 2005 Vibe GT
I think it looks retarded but have always been into function over form. Whatever handles the best while still being able to drive on crappy streets is the best, no matter how it looks.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
nyphats
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: '13 CW GTI, '05 BMP GLI, '72 Type 1
First post myself at least in this forum! I have a GLI that's low (beyond what most would consider functional height). It was a progressive thing for me, I didn't start out low at all, just a minor drop. Then I found myself wanting my car lower and lower because I liked the look more and more. I'm about 2 inches from my subframe to the ground currently and am perfectly content. It really depends on the car too, my mk6 is on a stock suspension and I don't have any plans anytime soon to lower that. Driving that low can be rough at times, but if the suspension is set up right, it's not as bad as you'd probably think. My GLI currently has FK Silverline Plus X coilovers, Urethane isolators and new bushings/bumptops/tophats all around. I have the dampening set at about 70% and it never bottoms out or rubs. It actually handles really well and to be honest, the suspension feels more planted and tighter than my brand new GTI does.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
AXO
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI Candy White
45 YOA here. Lol. Stock suspension. I may go with a taller tire next time around to fill the wheel gap a little. Of course this is pure cosmetic.

On the other hand, I will admit I love the look of a Bad Azz Slammed MK6.

Here is a pic of my MK6.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
roksax
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
It seems like most people here have a pretty level head about not going too low as to ruin driveability. The thing is, the cars that get the most visibility are the ones slammed to the ground, so it makes it seem like everyone's doing it.

I love my GTI because it drives and handles great. I'd hate do do anything to ruin that!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #36
usefulidiot
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 MKVI Sportline 3-door UG
Welcome....I thought you were going to end saying it must have something to do with why the kids wear the pants so low.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #37
usefulidiot
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 MKVI Sportline 3-door UG
Shit.....just realized I'm only 6 years younger than you.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #38
Veedubgli
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
I don't like the slammed look (never have), but I do prefer a slight drop on any VW. I did the DG springs and honestly it's the perfect ride height for a daily driver. The roads here in Maine aren't bad compared to other states I've been to (MA and NJ stand out).
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
11blueGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Shadow Blue DSG GTI
Quote:
Sweet first post...

Just wait till you see some wheel poke and useless giant roof racks...
I have to admit, I hate the stanced look. Cant stand wheel poke, stretched tires, slammed to the ground to where you have to c-notch the frame, camber maxed out, etc. Personally I got the GTI for looks and performance. 1" drop is the most I will do and won't even do that if my shop analyzes my geometry and says it will do more harm than good.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #40
xd-data-ii
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Ford Focus RS '17 / Mk6 GTI DSG '12
Lowered cars look shit. Looks like somethings gone wrong with it, even slightly lowered.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #41
geep_gti
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisisnapping View Post
I'm 24 and I have to agree, it's just not my thing, but to each their own.

I'm stock height and I find the car to be fairly low, just about low enough. If I get bored I may look at DG springs and maybe koni FSD. But to be honest in NJ during the winter i feel like the front bumper will turn into a plow on snowy days
Before moving to FL, I had a 2006 F150 flareside standard cab, lowered 6". Besides having all the hillbillies ask why I would do that to a truck (this was in Missouri), I typically got comments about it being a "Mexican" truck. Anyway, I had snows/winter wheels for the once in a while couple inch snow we usually got, but one day we got hit with 8+ inches. You guessed it, truck became a snowplow. Literally. Was a bitch getting home from work that day....
Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #42
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
I'm always afraid of slamming (lower very low) on my car bc of the road that might ruin it and id definitely be disappointed for the damage. I'm an early 20s guy (which what some of that age group do to lower it very low w/ bags). my areas half of the roads shit roads and some potholes that could bend the rims. i definitely agree with you the gti is a bit already lowered than the 2.5 and tdi golf and also agree on lowering a performance car is pointless, i would never waste money on such things that could waste the cars potential of what is made for in the first place.

Closed Thread