Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesecake

Ready to race!

To bring some flavor into this...

TOO MUCH FLAVOR!!!!:eek:

nyphats

Passed Driver's Ed
First post myself at least in this forum! I have a GLI that's low (beyond what most would consider functional height). It was a progressive thing for me, I didn't start out low at all, just a minor drop. Then I found myself wanting my car lower and lower because I liked the look more and more. I'm about 2 inches from my subframe to the ground currently and am perfectly content. It really depends on the car too, my mk6 is on a stock suspension and I don't have any plans anytime soon to lower that. Driving that low can be rough at times, but if the suspension is set up right, it's not as bad as you'd probably think. My GLI currently has FK Silverline Plus X coilovers, Urethane isolators and new bushings/bumptops/tophats all around. I have the dampening set at about 70% and it never bottoms out or rubs. It actually handles really well and to be honest, the suspension feels more planted and tighter than my brand new GTI does.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
45 YOA here. Lol. Stock suspension. I may go with a taller tire next time around to fill the wheel gap a little. Of course this is pure cosmetic.

On the other hand, I will admit I love the look of a Bad Azz Slammed MK6.

Here is a pic of my MK6.

roksax

turbo lover
It seems like most people here have a pretty level head about not going too low as to ruin driveability. The thing is, the cars that get the most visibility are the ones slammed to the ground, so it makes it seem like everyone's doing it.

I love my GTI because it drives and handles great. I'd hate do do anything to ruin that!

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Welcome....I thought you were going to end saying it must have something to do with why the kids wear the pants so low.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Shit.....just realized I'm only 6 years younger than you.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
I don't like the slammed look (never have), but I do prefer a slight drop on any VW. I did the DG springs and honestly it's the perfect ride height for a daily driver. The roads here in Maine aren't bad compared to other states I've been to (MA and NJ stand out).

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Sweet first post...

:laugh:

Just wait till you see some wheel poke and useless giant roof racks...

I have to admit, I hate the stanced look. Cant stand wheel poke, stretched tires, slammed to the ground to where you have to c-notch the frame, camber maxed out, etc. Personally I got the GTI for looks and performance. 1" drop is the most I will do and won't even do that if my shop analyzes my geometry and says it will do more harm than good.

geep_gti

Ready to race!
I'm 24 and I have to agree, it's just not my thing, but to each their own.

I'm stock height and I find the car to be fairly low, just about low enough. If I get bored I may look at DG springs and maybe koni FSD. But to be honest in NJ during the winter i feel like the front bumper will turn into a plow on snowy days :yikes:

Before moving to FL, I had a 2006 F150 flareside standard cab, lowered 6". Besides having all the hillbillies ask why I would do that to a truck (this was in Missouri), I typically got comments about it being a "Mexican" truck. Anyway, I had snows/winter wheels for the once in a while couple inch snow we usually got, but one day we got hit with 8+ inches. You guessed it, truck became a snowplow. Literally. Was a bitch getting home from work that day....

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I'm always afraid of slamming (lower very low) on my car bc of the road that might ruin it and id definitely be disappointed for the damage. I'm an early 20s guy (which what some of that age group do to lower it very low w/ bags). my areas half of the roads shit roads and some potholes that could bend the rims. i definitely agree with you the gti is a bit already lowered than the 2.5 and tdi golf and also agree on lowering a performance car is pointless, i would never waste money on such things that could waste the cars potential of what is made for in the first place.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
I don't like the slammed look (never have), but I do prefer a slight drop on any VW. I did the DG springs and honestly it's the perfect ride height for a daily driver.

Agree completely. Great stance, no suspension geometry compromises, great handling combination..

FNR32

Ready to race!
I had my car fairly low, but decided to go back to stock and i'm honestly happier with it now than i was then. This was all the way down on ST coils

Personally, I think the car looked great, but it just wasn't practical and it wasn't comfortable, and I couldn't enjoy the car because I was so busy worrying about avoiding shitty roads and debris. I may get some drivers gear springs, but i'll never go as low as I was again.

GTiBri

Lol. There's 158 page thread on the MKV side for slammed GTI's, so it appears we "stock ride height" are in the minority here?

I get this:

This, not so much:

Status
Not open for further replies.