GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL code: P2096

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Not sure if this has anything to do with my recent 6 gallons of 100 octane Sunoco (I asked specifically if it was unleaded), but last week, 130 miles after going back to the 93 tune, I got a CEL. Scanned using my Torque app and it gave me:

Code 2096 "post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank1"

Used the app last week to clear the code. CEL came back about 7 miles later. Spent about 2 hours this weekend checking all my DP fittings and even re-sealed the coupler where it goes into the stock catback. Got a good 15 miles with no CEL so I thought all was fixed....but it came back on today with the same code. FYI, I used the included spacer for the 02 sensor based on AWE's input (looks like 42dd's spacer).

Hope my O2 sensor isn't shot after running the 100 octane? Went about 500 miles after DP install and tune with no issues before running the 6 gallons of 100 octane, so now I'm a bit baffled. Will check all fittings again for micro-leaks, but pretty sure the pipe is 100% sealed.

Last edited:

poprocks01

Ready to race!
I had that code with a tiny downpipe leak pre-cat (IIRC). Got that fixed a while ago. More recently I ran a tank of "93" by mixing 100 and Cali 91. Then did about half tank of straight 100. No codes for me.

I know... Cool story. Thought I would share.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
Ive been getting that code lately too. I'm thinking that my spacer just needs to be adjusted but havent gotten around to it. Also: a boost leak can cause a lean code...check on that too.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
If it was leaded it would have been clearly labeled AND it would have damaged your converter which would likely be causing a too rich, not too lean issue. :D

Pull your O2 sensor out and check it for damage/thick residue. It may be a bad sensor just from a defect not related to the race gas also. Odd for them to fail so early, but at least one other member has posted that he had a bad O2 early. It can just happen, there is no such thing as a 0 defect part line.

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Will check my DP/IC/intake fittings one more time for leaks and do a visual on the 02 sensor. I'll assume wiping any residue off the sensor may do more bad than good? Also, what's the easiest way to check for leaks? Read some people have a friend plug the tips, but it seems there might be a more effective/easy-for-one-person method.

Thanks, as always, for the tips!

Thumper

Autocross Champion

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Haven't tried the sensor clean yet as work has been busy. I did get back under the car today and tightened the CRAP out of all the AWE dp connection points. Also plugged the exhaust afterwards to check for 'leaky sounds' and heard nothing.

Also scanned with Torque to clear the P2096 code, and now I had P2196 too. HOPEFULLY tightening everything will solve this, but I have a bad feeling I'll have to pay the shop to correct this :(

poprocks01

Ready to race!
I had both rich and lean codes, too. For me it was a leak. I had my shop reinstall using an exhaust sealer paste at the joints. Did the trick.

GTIvic

Passed Driver's Ed
just three this code too bb catless downpipe apr stg 2 testpipe file was raining tires spun esp kicked on think may have rocked engine enough to cause a leak at a slip joint will be looking tomorrow at work

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
I had both rich and lean codes, too. For me it was a leak. I had my shop reinstall using an exhaust sealer paste at the joints. Did the trick.

I used AWE's supplied paste at each joint too, but it was Permatex style and pretty much dried up, cracked, and flaked right off at each joint after a day or so. This could be the issue? Might need to get a silicone style that holds up better?

GTIvic

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm hoping it's just a leak

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
I'm hoping it's just a leak
You and me both! After 'deciphering' your first post, I may have done the same thing too by jostling the DP a bit much and actually caused a leak somewhere. I think using the paste that came with the DP could be a problem too and we might need to look into a more silicone based sealant for the slip joints.

Drove about 10-12 miles after the fix last night and no CEL yet, but after I cleared it the last 2 times, it took about 15 miles to come on. Fingers crossed it doesn't.

GTIvic

Passed Driver's Ed
I just cleared it and it hasn't come back in over 20 miles not too say it fixed itself I'll have it on the lift today and everything with be checked over what type of paste are we thinking ?

jeffreyj

Ready to race!
Neat. Mine came back on about 2 miles into my morning commute.

GTIvic, thinking some type of high temp silicone like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_173139_langId_-1_categoryId_255217

Problem is, I'm pretty much over futzing with it myself and will likely just pay the shop to correct the issue. Also ,not sure if it has anything to do with my CEL, but my mpg has dropped by about 20% too since this all began. Even driving like a grandpa on the hwy I'm barely getting up to 26. Used to hit 31 pretty easily on the same route.

GTIvic

Passed Driver's Ed
Found 2 exhaust leaks on the connection before o2 sensors and 1 after and a nut on the flange that could have been tighter then it was removed while mid pipe adjusted clamps as needed used exhaust cement on joints we had it at work so why not so far so good