GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed's Golf 6 HID Replica Headlights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
R20 Black non led look awesome with no defect Thanks ED also i fitted H7 bulb with no problem, the fit is perfect as ED mention.Haven't install them yet as im waiting on chrome 921 turn signal bulb.

Triple_b

been spying the blacked out 15 LEDs for a bit now. I have a '12 JSW TDI with basic headlight switch.

do i need to upgrade my switch at all?

what if i want to run LEDs as DRL and marker lights (basically on all the time regardless of low/high beams)?

obviously if i add fog lights in the future ill need the fog switch.

has anyone with a JSW installed these?
thanks for any info.
Triple

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
There were comments about bulbs not fitting into HID Projector housing, so I did some testing, I tried an OEM Osram D2S bulb, 2 aftermarket bulbs including the ones I'm including in my HID kits, as well as the H7 bulb.

The results were they all fit, the OEM Osram bulb fitted the best, the other aftermarket bulbs needed a small push to get them in. No trimming or anything unusual was necessary.
It's important to get the notches to line up, or they just wont fit. The black cover went on top and twisted into place without issue.

The H7 halogen bulb I managed to get in as well. Have a look at the photos.

exactly what i have been saying for months. i have been running my h7 kit for a while with ZERO issues. I swapped oveer to my DDM ballasts and i had 1 tiny noticable flicker out of 20 times. So i put my USP ballasts in and no noticable flicker at all.

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
Just wondering, and this may have already been answered but can I rewire these to work with my OEM bixenon bulbs? I love the R black housings!

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
Just wondering, and this may have already been answered but can I rewire these to work with my OEM bixenon bulbs? I love the R black housings!

If you have OEM Xenons, it maybe difficult to do, you will likely lose your AFS, unless you do some major re-wiring. The OEX Xenons use a 12 pin plug, these use a 10 pin plug.

Skitals

Ready to race!
Ordered a set of lights and morimoto kit from TRS. The lights from ed shipped, but the can bus harness in the hid kit is backordered.

Is it worth installing the headlights when they arrive using my stock halogen bulbs, or would I be creating extra work for myself? Is it easy to install the hids with the lights already on the car?

Or should I ask TRS to split ship, and install the hids now without the can bus harness or relay? The 3five ballasts state they have canbus/ error canceling built in, so it seems the can bus harness could be redundant.

And can anyone tell me if you would need extra hardware wiring to install without the harness? It looks like the bulbs come with a redundant harness with spades -> 9006 that you could use to connect the factory h7 harness to the ballast input. So you would be running the factory harness directly into the ballast, and the ballast directly to the d2h bulb. It would certainly make for the cleanest install without the huge relay or can bus box.

Thoughts? Or should I just be patient and wait an extra 2 weeks to install?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
Ordered a set of lights and morimoto kit from TRS. The lights from ed shipped, but the can bus harness in the hid kit is backordered.

Is it worth installing the headlights when they arrive using my stock halogen bulbs, or would I be creating extra work for myself? Is it easy to install the hids with the lights already on the car?

Or should I ask TRS to split ship, and install the hids now without the can bus harness or relay? The 3five ballasts state they have canbus/ error canceling built in, so it seems the can bus harness could be redundant.

And can anyone tell me if you would need extra hardware wiring to install without the harness? It looks like the bulbs come with a redundant harness with spades -> 9006 that you could use to connect the factory h7 harness to the ballast input. So you would be running the factory harness directly into the ballast, and the ballast directly to the d2h bulb. It would certainly make for the cleanest install without the huge relay or can bus box.

Thoughts? Or should I just be patient and wait an extra 2 weeks to install?

Probably be easiest to wait the extra time so you can see what your option are. Once on the car, you can swap bulbs back and forth, but its always easier to do it with the bumper off and you can find a spot to hold the ballasts, run wiring, etc.

For everyone else, only a few days left for the Option 2 sale, only $500 Shipped for the black non-led headlights!

Skitals

Ready to race!
Headlights arrived today, and I'm extremely impatient so I installed them right away with my halogen bulbs :D

Install only took 45 minutes total. Headlights look gorgeous. The black lights look great on candy white with my blacked out grill and mirror caps.

As you can see in the first pic, the light on the left side of the pic is sitting an eight of an inch lower than the right. (see the black gap between the headlight housing and hood) Not sure how I can adjust this, but I will need to drop the bumper again and fiddle around to see if I can get them even. It's not dark yet so I haven't tested the cutoff or adjusted anything. I will do a preliminary adjustment, but I will leave them as is for now and drop the bumper again in a week or two to install the HID kit when it arrives.

I know there is a lot of glare, but I can take better pics later if anyone is interested. There aren't many good pics of the black housing (non-led) on CW GTI.

Thanks ed!

Last edited:

Skitals

Ready to race!
Sun went down and I just went out to check the cut off. Looks good. Didn't even mess with it. I will do final adjustments after I install hids. Just wanted to make sure I wont be blinding anyone in the mean time. Wont take much to fine tune.

The halogens look really good in there. I don't notice any difference, better or worse, over the stock housing regarding output. Not sure I will gain much from the HID kit. If you are doing it as a cosmetic mod the HIDs are definitely optional. Besides the bulb temp, projectors look like projectors whether they have halogen or xenon bulbs. The projectors even give the halogens that rainbow effect at the cutoff.

Not crazy about the LED city lights. They are very blue compared to the halogen bulbs. Anyone know the temp? 6000k? Are they accessible/changable? I will probably vag-com them off if I can. Or just use them as DRLs. They don't look good contrasting the yellower light. And I'm getting 4300k morimoto 3fives so I don't reckon that will be too different.

SABOtage

Ready to race!
This is such a bargain

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Sun went down and I just went out to check the cut off. Looks good. Didn't even mess with it. I will do final adjustments after I install hids. Just wanted to make sure I wont be blinding anyone in the mean time. Wont take much to fine tune.

The halogens look really good in there. I don't notice any difference, better or worse, over the stock housing regarding output. Not sure I will gain much from the HID kit. If you are doing it as a cosmetic mod the HIDs are definitely optional. Besides the bulb temp, projectors look like projectors whether they have halogen or xenon bulbs. The projectors even give the halogens that rainbow effect at the cutoff.

Not crazy about the LED city lights. They are very blue compared to the halogen bulbs. Anyone know the temp? 6000k? Are they accessible/changable? I will probably vag-com them off if I can. Or just use them as DRLs. They don't look good contrasting the yellower light. And I'm getting 4300k morimoto 3fives so I don't reckon that will be too different.

The parking lights are not interchangeable and i will be turning them off as well with vag-com as the color does not go well with the 4300K.

Skitals

Ready to race!
No way to turn them off via vagcom, far as I can tell. Ed said in another thread they should be accessible to replace the bulbs.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Yea i tried vag-com and no luck and with the parking light bulb i have looked all over and nothing other then a circuit board with 2 wires solder.

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
Yea i tried vag-com and no luck and with the parking light bulb i have looked all over and nothing other then a circuit board with 2 wires solder.

I stand corrected, I wonder if you can disconnect the city lights from the wiring harness so they dont turn on, but if you do, will you get an error?

Anyways, I'm continuing the sale on the Option 2 headlights, just have too much of these in stock.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.