GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
hifichip76
Ready to race!

Drives: MkVI GTI, 350z, Mazdaspeed 3
Any common problems?

Hello. I am seriously considering buying a Golf R, having test driven it recently. I'm also looking at the WRX and a few other hot hatches.

I had a 2008 GTI that I loved. Now, we have a MS3 and a 350Z. Due to changing commutes, we can't get by with the Z on winter tires anymore.

Are their any common problems with the R?

My GTI and many others were unusually prone to tire bubbles. Anyone having that with the R?

How's the reliability?

Anyone else in New York?

Thanks!
hifichip76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
illDub6
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 vw gti
just your everyday common VW problems ,
LI MKVI |OEM Golf R leds| |Revo Stage 2 | |35/20% tint ||LED License Plate Lights | |Yellow Fog Tint + Nokya Yellow Fog Bulbs| |NGP Coils | | Badgeless Grille| |Debaged Rear | | Tinted Sidemarkers | | Euro Switch | | NSG Boost Gauge || APR Boost Tap | | AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe || BSH Intake 1&2 ||OEM Front Lip ||42DD Downpipe | | R8 Coil Pack |
illDub6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
hifichip76
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illDub6 View Post
just your everyday common VW problems ,
Such as?

My GTI needed the turbo valve replaced twice and eventually whole new turbo unit, under warranty. But it always worked. Just threw a CEL a few times The wheels were prone to tire bubbles.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Deezz_Nuttz
Autocross Newbie

Drives: '12 Golf R
saw your post on the other board, I've had zero problems with mine, and I drive a lot! I'm at 20k miles.
No major or minor issues at all, chipped since 1k miles, and currently on APR Stage 2. I do have to say though the WRX has better aftermarket support.
My bud has a '12 STI and he's at 12k running stage 2 tune, and has had a couple CEL's thrown at him and gone into limp mode a couple times. And there's always that ringland issue.
I think both are great cars, you can't go wrong with either.
Deezz_Nuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
hifichip76
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezz_Nuttz View Post
saw your post on the other board, I've had zero problems with mine, and I drive a lot! I'm at 20k miles.
No major or minor issues at all, chipped since 1k miles, and currently on APR Stage 2. I do have to say though the WRX has better aftermarket support.
My bud has a '12 STI and he's at 12k running stage 2 tune, and has had a couple CEL's thrown at him and gone into limp mode a couple times. And there's always that ringland issue.
I think both are great cars, you can't go wrong with either.
Hi! Yeah, thanks.

I think, especially with the R, I'd leave it stock. I've done lots of aftermarket stuff on my Z, just to try to be happy with it. This time, I want the right car from day one.

What's ringland?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Deezz_Nuttz
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post
Hi! Yeah, thanks.

I think, especially with the R, I'd leave it stock. I've done lots of aftermarket stuff on my Z, just to try to be happy with it. This time, I want the right car from day one.

What's ringland?
Apparently it's a common issue with the subbies, something about failing pistons? I'm not quite sure, but my buddy is terrified of it.

Also, I highly suggest at least getting it chipped. Stock, the R has been heavily neutered.
Deezz_Nuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
tman
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: around randomly looking for GTI's
Reliablity, I'd go with the WRX. If you want a luxurious ride, the Golf R.

Had a SUbaru Legacy for 5 years and wanted the Impreza STi, but the interior was shite compared to the GTI and the price was outrageous. If I had the choice back then, I'd go with the STI, but since I got the GTI, I''d pick the R and tune, not keep it stock.
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
r1eater
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 370Z, Golf R
I had a 2008 modded STI and I never ever had problems with that car. It was a great car and one of my fav cars I have owned. Having said that the R is just so much nicer than the STI. Side by side its not quite as fast but it doesnt feel slow either.

I also like that the R is very unassuming. It doesnt draw a lot of attention from non enthusiasts but car junkies really smile when they see it.
r1eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
DummyBear
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: The R - 2012
there haven't been any major issues with R so far except for certain ppl having problem early (2-3k miles) with their clutches and it was replaced under warranty. as for the reinforced "FSI" engine goes, it doesn't seem like we are having any problems at all like the mk5 gti....
Old 09-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
brett_duenas
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '88 325is
anyone have oddball tires?

I have 3 Pirelli's and 1 Bridgestone... I just noticed after about a month of ownership. Does anyone know if I can get them matched correctly (tire replaced) through the dealership? or do I have to bite the bullet/deal with it since I already accepted the vehicle?
brett_duenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
DummyBear
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: The R - 2012
doesnt hurt to give ur dealer a call? or VWOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett_duenas View Post

I have 3 Pirelli's and 1 Bridgestone... I just noticed after about a month of ownership. Does anyone know if I can get them matched correctly (tire replaced) through the dealership? or do I have to bite the bullet/deal with it since I already accepted the vehicle?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
rj45
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett_duenas View Post

Absolutely notify the dealer. Tires should not be mismatched because handling may be affected. VW will likely want to replace the non-matching Bridgestone tire asap.
rj45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
brett_duenas
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '88 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj45 View Post
Absolutely notify the dealer. Tires should not be mismatched because handling may be affected. VW will likely want to replace the non-matching Bridgestone tire asap.
Went to the dealer today during my lunch break. I showed them my oddball tire and they are going to replace it with a new one that matches tomorrow at 2:00pm!

Larson VW of Tacoma!
brett_duenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
purefx
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG R, 2004 Neon SRT-4
Seems like this water pump issue is affecting quite a few. Mine has no issues but I only have 1200 miles on it.
purefx is offline   Reply With Quote