GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
dragon69185
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '11 Golf Mk6 2.5L 2Dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV Aaron View Post
You were off to a great start, then failed.

For $300, get SS lines, fluid and pads, and do it yourself. If you have a bit more, get the GTI front caliper carriers and rotors, and ss lines, fluid and pads.

Plain, OEM rotors are the way to go, decreasing the swept area on the rotor (drilled and/or slotted) is NOT what you want. They are only for looks.

I just put GTI rotors and oem gti pads on my wifes rabbit and it stops much better. I'll be doing oem fluid this weekend too, so it should firm up the pedal a bit. That is the biggest thing I noticed from my car to my wifes, pedal feel, much worse.
Drilled are useless for street use, yes. Slotted are really there to help the brake dust rather than create a "cool air pocket" as they are on racing cars (and they do look nice up front ). Plus, the slotted were on sale for $50 a piece on ECS which is actually cheaper than the stock rotors, and I have been running on them for over 30k with no issues (with my stock rotors chilling if I ever need them again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyann
oh yeah, Christian mingle. Lord knows I love me some religious men.

So I can DESTROY THEM.
dragon69185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
Vancity2Constantinople
Banned

Drives: OO------OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKV Aaron View Post
A set of GTI front brakes with HPS pads are more than any of you 2.5 guys short of the turbo guys will EVER need. They are pretty impressive for a stock package.
nope.. still weak in my opinion. BBK it is then..
Vancity2Constantinople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
MKV Aaron
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity2Constantinople View Post
nope.. still weak in my opinion. BBK it is then..
Yes, a BBK will be much better, but for value, you can't beat the GTI/HPS combo.

I had Boxster brakes, ss lines, and hps pads, and the braking was insane. Now I am back on the stocks with HPS and its pretty good for just a pad upgrade.

I had no trouble with stock brakes slowing down my STG 2 GTI from triple digits. Repetition is where they suffer though. The HPS pads, ss lines and fluid are a great, cheap upgrade, and will take anything but the harshest abuse (road course, ohio 555 etc).

Just my opinion though.
MKV Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
intanetfreak
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Golf Wagon
I'm looking at this as well... sorry to hijack OP...

what's the max rotor size a 16" can handle? ECS has 288mm as the stock, an option for 312mm and also 345mm... any ideas? I run 18" on my summers but use stock 16" for my winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
Bro bonding time that ends with a release? Damn, you must be sore after 3 hours of that.
intanetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
gugu1981
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 JSW 2.5 5MT
http://www.tyrolsport.com/brakes/tyr...t-for-vw/audi/

some people have reported that the stock caliper guide flexes under braking, and the bushing kit makes a world of difference. I have not used it personally, but am considering it when upgrading to GTI brakes.

Peter
gugu1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
stoptech > Hawk pads, imho and typically dust more. Can also try the posi-quiets as i believe they dust less.

I'd recommend doing stoptech pads front and rear, check part#'s, then look on ebay or carpartkings.com , get them for like $120 or less shipped (probably for both). Do those and possibly lines and fluid, but may not even be needed. OEM fluid is already a pretty damn good DOT4 rated fluid - not many know this, so perhaps bushings would be smarter in this case. With just going to Stoptech Street Performance pads all around you should see and feel a huge difference.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Modbargains
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidentropy View Post
I have plenty of places I could spend money on my car, but the one aspect of my car that's bugging me the most is the quality of the brakes. I've had a few close calls and the brakes have always felt kind of weak.

I'm thinking I'd be happy with just upgrading to the GTI brakes, but I'm unsure if I'll end up paying a bunch for a marginal difference.

If i was willing to budget $300 for brakes, including labor, do you guys have any better suggestions?
Go with the Stoptech pads with the stainless steel brake line, you should feel the difference . Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions

Sales | Sales@Modbargains.com | (714) 582-3330
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00AM-6:00PM, Saturday 8:00AM-5:00PM (PST) | Our Blog
Modbargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #22
Paul122157
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 Volkwagen Golf Mk6 2.5L
I got StopTech pads with Powerstop rotors. Did the trick. I think I definitely paid over 300 lol but it stops on a dime, probably better than a GTI.

Want to keep up with my modding adventures and insane back road touge runs? Here is my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Paul122157
Paul122157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #23
ithrashmotors
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mk6 gti
Like others have mentioned blanks are the way to go. I've had slotted/drilled and honestly don't feel much difference compared to blanks. They look much nicer if your wheels allow a nice view but that's about it. I picked up 4 centric rotors and a set of stoptech pads for 265 on autoanything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #24
cubeofsoup
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 VW Golf 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithrashmotors View Post
Like others have mentioned blanks are the way to go. I've had slotted/drilled and honestly don't feel much difference compared to blanks. They look much nicer if your wheels allow a nice view but that's about it. I picked up 4 centric rotors and a set of stoptech pads for 265 on autoanything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If anyone here believes the Engineering Explained YT channel, he has a video about the pros/cons of the different rotor styles. A TLDW would be: vented will be the best bet for non-track applications that want maximum stopping power and pad life.
cubeofsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #25
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeofsoup View Post
If anyone here believes the Engineering Explained YT channel, he has a video about the pros/cons of the different rotor styles. A TLDW would be: vented will be the best bet for non-track applications that want maximum stopping power and pad life.
Welcome to the Forum!

TLDW ?????
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #26
cubeofsoup
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 VW Golf 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

TLDW ?????
Too Long Didn't Watch
Old 06-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #27
MLue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeofsoup View Post
Too Long Didn't Watch
Noticed that you're Upstate NY, are you near Watkins Glenn? It's one of my favorite Tracks, getting there can be fun as well. Better than Mosport.

Stay with stock solid brake rotors, upgrade the pads (Stop Tech or Hawk HPS). Adding more mass to the package slows the Golf down, if you track the car and all things being equal you'll notice the difference at the end of the straights.

Last edited by MLue1; 06-06-2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: comment
Old 06-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #28
MLue1

Thumbs up

Had some brake fade my last Track Day, swapped out my HPS fronts with these Porterfield R4 Front Brake Pads. I've had great success with Porterfields before so I suspect they will be up to the task. I coulda used Stop Tech or Hawk HP or similar but the major advantage is they are progressive and provide good feel even when really HOT.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...07&SVSVSI=5073