GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Stock GTI gets smoked by tuned MS3

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Just a story about how I finally met someone relatively local who appreciates something other than a muscle car for reasons other than feeling cool.

Starting my commute home yesterday I see an MS3 pulling out of the same road. Purple painted rims gave him away as a tuner. He saw me, so he goes ~20 (in a 55) until I pull out and catch up. We had maybe 1.5 miles to do a 40 roll, during which he pulled 3 cars by 110 mph or so. On the highway we did a couple more runs (traffic permitting) and it was the same story. On every one of my runs I made one shift was either late or sloppy but it wouldn't have made a difference. He was fast.

I pulled him off to the side and we talked for a while. He has an intake, dp and tune. FMIC to be installed. Cliff notes: Car guys are tough to find in SW MI, we work right across the street from each other, he's K04 (stock MS3 turbo) and I'm not . Looks like I'm going balls deep.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
funkyhunky
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 09 wrx(stage2) & 11 gti(all stock)
Your encounter is in the vs section on the mazda forum.
funkyhunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
CFG9000
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Purple painted rims gave him away as a tuner.
ricer*
Other Stuff: 3M 35% tint all-around - Maniacs shift paddles
CFG9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
*mind blown
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
raaalph
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFG9000 View Post
ricer*
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
IHazTurbo
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mkvi 2 door GTI
What part of SW MI are you in? Around Grand Rapids there is a decent amount of people. Not to the extent that you'd find in cities like Chicago or all over in Cali though. I see mostly people in Subies though.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Dybz
FIA GT Champion

Drives: MKV GTI
lol... racing a tuned ms3 with a stocker.
Dybz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHazTurbo View Post
What part of SW MI are you in? Around Grand Rapids there is a decent amount of people. Not to the extent that you'd find in cities like Chicago or all over in Cali though. I see mostly people in Subies though.
I'm in the Benton Harbor/St. Joe area. GR is about as much a drive as Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dybz View Post
lol... racing a tuned ms3 with a stocker.
Yep, racing. Any excuse

And it was lol inducing. The kind of lols that come out with a half-committed smile and trail off awkwardly towards the end
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
freeclimbmtb
Oval Champion

Drives: '12 GTI, '11 Ducati, '79 CJ7
Yep...had just about the same thing happen to me 2 nights ago. I tore off the line and the headlights behind me just kept getting bigger. Wasnt until a few miles later that I got a side view and figured out what it was. Once we were on the high way he played a few times letting me catch up and then pulling away. I figure hes got similar work done as your guy. Like you said. FAST.

Basically im just like "aw."

APR stage 2 with carbonio and DP next spring with my tax return. Id like a second shot...just to see.
2012 Deep Black Pearl Metallic GTI 4dr: 6MT, Sunroof & Nav, BiXenons w/ LED DRLs, LED Tails w/ rear fog & Euro switch, red LED footwell lighting, climatic HVAC mod. A couple little VAGCOM tweaks, PM me for VAGCOM near Seacost NH..

(\O\o\=GTI======/o/O/)
freeclimbmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeclimbmtb View Post
Yep...had just about the same thing happen to me 2 nights ago. I tore off the line and the headlights behind me just kept getting bigger. Wasnt until a few miles later that I got a side view and figured out what it was. Once we were on the high way he played a few times letting me catch up and then pulling away. I figure hes got similar work done as your guy. Like you said. FAST.

Basically im just like "aw."

APR stage 2 with carbonio and DP next spring with my tax return. Id like a second shot...just to see.
Said he's putting down about 280 with his tune, but it's based on acceleration calcs. GTI has 200 lbs on the MS3 so it may be close @ full stage 2 (FMIC, dp, intake and tune). At least I have a benchmark now
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
freeclimbmtb
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Said he's putting down about 280 with his tune, but it's based on acceleration calcs. GTI has 200 lbs on the MS3 so it may be close @ full stage 2 (FMIC, dp, intake and tune). At least I have a benchmark now
If I didnt have the Duc sucking me dry all the time I'd spring for the stage3+ or a GT30...

Unfortuantely putting lots and lots of american dollars in parts on that bike makes me feel a touch irresponsible doing it on the car too...

and my mother wonders why I'm still single..."well mom, because Letty is a character in the fast and the furious and girls in real life dont like when you spend all your money in the garage"

Thats right, I forgot about the FMIC.. So 270ish HP, 313ftlbs...I just hope the guy in the MS3 has 200lbs on me...
2012 Deep Black Pearl Metallic GTI 4dr: 6MT, Sunroof & Nav, BiXenons w/ LED DRLs, LED Tails w/ rear fog & Euro switch, red LED footwell lighting, climatic HVAC mod. A couple little VAGCOM tweaks, PM me for VAGCOM near Seacost NH..

(\O\o\=GTI======/o/O/)

Last edited by freeclimbmtb; 10-02-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
If I didnt have the Duc sucking me dry all the time I'd spring for the stage3+ or a GT30...

Unfortuantely putting lots and lots of american dollars in parts on that bike makes me feel a touch irresponsible doing it on the car too...

and my mother wonders why I'm still single..."well mom, because Letty is a character in the fast and the furious and girls in real life dont like when you spend all your money in the garage"
Just... Stay single. :P

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect
Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
freeclimbmtb
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Just... Stay single. :P
Good plan...
K04/GT30....WAY cheaper than a divorce.

(\O\o\=GTI======/o/O/)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
AF-MKVI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 DSG GTI & 2011 DSG TDI
Quote:

My daily driver when I was in California a few years back was a 999S (did not even own a car for 3 years)...they do suck you dry. Between wearing out a rear tire every 5,000 miles and a front every 8,000 plus maintenance and mods it was a horrible decision for a commuter....and I would do the same thing again if I could go back to cali!!!!! love that bike

39,000 miles in 3 years and always a huge smile on my face during my commute, rain or shine.
2011 DSG GTI- APR Stage II -APR Carbonio I&II -Eurojet DP V1 -Neuspeed C/B -Godspeed FMIC -Neuspeed IDP -AWE TOP -R8 Coils -034 Engine & Trans Mounts -Neuspeed Tq Mount Insert -H&R Sport Springs -MKV Bilstein B8's -TT Strut Mounts -Passat FCA's -H&R 28mm F&R Sways -UltraRacing Mid Brace -Stern Brace -Maniacs DSG Paddles -AWE Boost Gauge -OEM Front Lip -Underbody Aero -RS3 Brake Ducts -17" Nurburgrings's w/ 235 DW's-Neuspeed Rotors -Stoptech Pads -USP SS Lines -Tyrolsport Bushings>13.26@105.10
AF-MKVI is offline   Reply With Quote