GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #57
Pyotr
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: STG2+ R, MK6 JSW
Mounted up my bar today, it fits perfectly, but unfortunately, i need to move my license plate. damn state laws! Due to the way the bumper is designed, i would opt for a 24" or larger bar the next time, since the bumper slopes in towards the middle where i bolted mine on.

I bolted my bar to the bottom to the bumper, note: if you also do this USE A CARBIDE DRILLBIT. it took me an hour, and a broken bit to finally break down and go get one.

Still working on wiring, but ill post up some images when i finally get the relay installed.

EDIT: wiring is on hold. found a wiring diagram for the car... and i have no bloody clue where to hook in, so im going to cascade two elays, so that the light turns off with the ignition switch

Last edited by Pyotr; 01-29-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Pyotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #58
Fantasiamon
Drag Racing Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyotr View Post
my fogs are my DRL's so i wouldn't want this blinding everyone as i drive around normally! i have a euro switch, and i was playing with the idea of using the rear fog switch as the switch for the light bar.

I was thinking along the same route. Rear fog for potential lightbar.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk
Fantasiamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #59
Pyotr
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasiamon View Post
I was thinking along the same route. Rear fog for potential lightbar.

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk
Im going to settle on a centre console switch, from CarStyle4you, specifically this: http://shop.carstyle4you.com/product...off-cover.html

since i dont have access to VAGcom coding to enable my rear fogs, this is the next best thing for me. someday i may switch it (pun not intended!) but i think this setup will work well enough for now.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #60
Pyotr
Touring Car Newbie

Finished my install! pretty happy with the end results, need to aim it properly though. i do wish it was brighter though.

Finished wiring. Relay is a HELLA weather proof relay and matching harness

For now, its just switched with a simple switch until i get my proper one. i want this to look as OEM as possible

End result
yes, there are holes in my bumper from removing the plate, working on filling those is next.

EDIT: so after doing some nighttime driving, im really happy with the bar i installed. while headlights are more directed, this illuminates more around, especially the sides of the road. since i live in an area heavily populated with deer, this is very nice! right now between high beams and the LED bar, i can light up buildings from about a quarter mile away

Last edited by Pyotr; 01-31-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #61
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Looks pretty sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #62
MK6 Will
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2011 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalton View Post
I did a little 12" led light bar in the grille and I love it. I could have done the 18" or 24" but my shop didn't have them in at the time. It works great on the backroads especially on foggy nights.

You can kind of see it here.
That's the setup I was thinking of trying. I'm still reading through the thread and it may be answered here soon but any concerns about the heat from that light affecting the intercooler?
MK6 Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #63
MK6 Will
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyotr View Post
Finished my install! pretty happy with the end results, need to aim it properly though. i do wish it was brighter though.

Finished wiring. Relay is a HELLA weather proof relay and matching harness

For now, its just switched with a simple switch until i get my proper one. i want this to look as OEM as possible

End result
yes, there are holes in my bumper from removing the plate, working on filling those is next.

EDIT: so after doing some nighttime driving, im really happy with the bar i installed. while headlights are more directed, this illuminates more around, especially the sides of the road. since i live in an area heavily populated with deer, this is very nice! right now between high beams and the LED bar, i can light up buildings from about a quarter mile away
Looks good
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalton View Post
I did a little 12" led light bar in the grille and I love it. I could have done the 18" or 24" but my shop didn't have them in at the time. It works great on the backroads especially on foggy nights.

You can kind of see it here.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:38 AM   #64
Andrew429
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2-dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PURDYmk6 View Post
That's mine!!! My friend just stumbled across this thread. I know I'm a little late to the party, but if anyone has any question, I'd love to answer them.
Quote:

I kinda want to do this when I get a ski rack when winter comes again. That would be great on the drive back from the ski resort since the highway is pitch black with no street lights. Is there any other way of getting the wire inside the car if it's mounted on top instead of going through the door? Or I'll just mount one in the bumper? Does the light bar in the bumper illuminate farther down the road or is it just like the fog lights?
Old 06-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #65
goose
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Stage 2 GTI

sent via carrier potato
Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #66
SeanR
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI BLK
If you are looking for better lighting at night a LED light bar is a must. I just mounted my 20" V2 light bar from www.briteniteled.com on my GTI. The install was pretty straight forward This bar is simply amazing the qualty is top notch and the customer service is great from Briteniteled.com. I will post up pics of the install and the bar at night. .
Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 AM   #67
MK6 Will
Go Kart Champion

So I forgot to post these when I finished but here's the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #68
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Looks good but I think you lose some cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #69
MK6 Will
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Looks good but I think you lose some cooling.
Ya, I thought about that too. I'm not worried about it cooling at night when I'd use it just because of the cooler nights but it still blocks some some stuff. I haven't had any issues with overheating but I'm not too sure how to tell if I get heat soak or not.

Drive it like you stole it
Old 09-10-2015, 02:34 AM   #70
MK6 Will
Go Kart Champion

I took it on the track today. It was 92 outside and after driving it hard it didn't seem to make it run hotter. But if I'm getting heatsoak, I don't know. I'm not sure what the symptoms are of it here's some more pictures of it

Drive it like you stole it