GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
candc8
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 4 dr mk6 tdi
porsche boxster caliper

i was wondering since the crossovers are stuck on the calipers i have can i put the one that is supposed to go on the left on the right? that way i wouldn't have to change the crossovers with the bleeder nipples? any help would be great
candc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2010 CW MK6 Manual
Lot more detail and clarity please.

Do you have the 17z caliper?

You want to mount the one that is labelled R on the left side of the car?

Why again?
swfloridamk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
MKV Aaron
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf R
on the porsche boxster calipers, you have to swap the cross over tubes to the bottom.

Have you tried penetrating oil?
MKV Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Tooly
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: '08 Rabbit
On the ones I got from the wrecker the crossover tubs where on there really tight. I let the threads soak in PB Blaster for an hour and that did the trick. I would loosen one side of the tube a bit, then the other and so on back and forth until it was off. You don't want to strip those threads, pain in the butt to fix.
Tooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooly View Post
On the ones I got from the wrecker the crossover tubs where on there really tight. I let the threads soak in PB Blaster for an hour and that did the trick. I would loosen one side of the tube a bit, then the other and so on back and forth until it was off. You don't want to strip those threads, pain in the butt to fix.
Good deal...Yeah, you need to flip the crossovers/nipples to maintain the correct Piston stagger...

I've run them both ways and "Correct" is better..
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
candc8
Autocross Newbie

thanks that is what i was looking for. I didn't know since it was the boxster if the pistons were both the same or different. I will try changing the crossovers but i just don't want to mess them up. COuld i just do the bleeding and everything before i put the calipers on the way they are i know that the bleeder nipple would be facing down
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by candc8 View Post
thanks that is what i was looking for. I didn't know since it was the boxster if the pistons were both the same or different. I will try changing the crossovers but i just don't want to mess them up. COuld i just do the bleeding and everything before i put the calipers on the way they are i know that the bleeder nipple would be facing down
NEVER install bleeders facing down. A good bubble of air will be trapped in the caliper. If you want to install them "Wrong" and not swap the Crosovers, just swap the calipers side to side. I admit, I did this first before I understood about the staggered pistons and the affect thy had on brake pad wear and clamping forces.. All fixed now, and he braking is better and easier to modulate with better feel when done correctly..

The reason you need to do this is because the Boxster calipers are mounted BEHIND the axle. On the GTi they mount to the front. YOu want the Big piston to be the leading one (when the rotor rotates) and the smaller one to be trailing

All my install pics are here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/gt...brembo-brakes/

Last edited by Modshack; 10-08-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Gti
Listen to modshack.
If you break something, pelican parts should have you covered.
carsfeverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2010 CW MK6 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
NEVER install bleeders facing down. A good bubble of air will be trapped in the caliper. If you want to install them "Wrong" and not swap the Crosovers, just swap the calipers side to side. I admit, I did this first before I understood about the staggered pistons and the affect thy had on brake pad wear and clamping forces.. All fixed now, and he braking is better and easier to modulate with better feel when done correctly..

The reason you need to do this is because the Boxster calipers are mounted BEHIND the axle. On the GTi they mount to the front. YOu want the Big piston to be the leading one (when the rotor rotates) and the smaller one to be trailing

All my install pics are here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/gt...brembo-brakes/

I know we have disagreed on this before, but it came up again last week for me. VW went ahead and did a warranty covered brake flush for me even though I have custom 4 wheel Brembo BBK. ( They are really nice at my dealer, lol). Anyhow, remember I have that custom kit for the rear from the MK5 forum, which uses Touareg rears. Anyhow, the tech asked about the rears with the bleeders pointed up. A bunch of the techs got involved, starting pulling various manuals etc.

In the end, it was agreed it is best to bleed them unmounted vs trying to swap everything. I am sure you think John Trans design is stupid etc. But, it is what is for me, and the lesser of two evils seems to be bleeding unmounted in my scenario.
swfloridamk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
tman
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: around randomly looking for GTI's
Quote:

So which is it? Should the larger piston be the leading one opposite to direction of ration or not?

In the link you say that the larger piston will be the leading one if the swap is NOT done.

Also, what is the best place to get the mounting hardware for these or other boxster/cayenne/touareg calipers?
tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
'ringmeister
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI
Hey Steve, looks like you have the performance diesel kit? how did you route the lines that come with the kit through the bracket on the strut? did you just zip tie it? I'v been looking for some kind of grommet.
thanks

Quote:

'ringmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
inc55
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn 4-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ringmeister View Post
Hey Steve, looks like you have the performance diesel kit? how did you route the lines that come with the kit through the bracket on the strut? did you just zip tie it? I'v been looking for some kind of grommet.
thanks
I just left the lines alone. The wheels only move side to side so the lines should be fine. There aren't any moving parts to touch them.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
candc8
Autocross Newbie

well just had the brakes done and the installer didn't change the crossovers he just changed the sides that the calipers went on. How bad is it that the calipers are on opposite sides? i mean how drastic would the braking be? All i know is that the brakes squeal a lot hope that goes away
Old 10-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
candc8
Autocross Newbie

anyone?