GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

oskynr

I just bought a 2012 GTI that has had the tensioner replaced but I just found out that the chain is stretched after getting it inspected and a very reputable VW/Audi shop. How much should this cost? They're quoting me $2,300 and that seems ridiculous.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I just bought a 2012 GTI that has had the tensioner replaced but I just found out that the chain is stretched after getting it inspected and a very reputable VW/Audi shop. How much should this cost? They're quoting me $2,300 and that seems ridiculous.

To do the chain requires a lot more disassembly and therefore adds more labor time to the whole process. Plus more parts need replaced compared to doing just the tensioner. You should look around more to see if anybody does this as I side job in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Guys, question.

I have a 2012 model but build date is 11/11 which im sure doesn't have the updated tensioner, I havent checked but im pretty confident is doesnt have it. I am planning on getting it done soon since I just hit 60k.

Now, the shop who has done my clutch and k04 install wants to charge me 400$ for labor(which is an amazing price) and told me they will supply me with the updated tensioner and i asked if i needed anything else and they said no.

Should i trust that? only swapping out the tensioner and calling it a day?

postulio

Passed Driver's Ed

And this is why you always replace the chain when doing the tensioner (I know you had no input here, just sayin'). That's the high end of the price range. you should call around and see if anyone can give you a labor price if you supply all parts. parts will run you a few hundred and include gasket, chain and guide rails (the cost of parts is negligible when compared to the cost of getting inside the damn thing so you might as well replace all wear and tear parts in the system. Depending on how a mechanic calculates their rates, a labor cost in the $500-1000 range is good. Lots of experienced mechanics just quote a cost for the job that they are familiar with. the ones that charge you per hour are the ones that come up with the $2k price on work like this, stay away from those mechanics.

To do the chain requires a lot more disassembly and therefore adds more labor time to the whole process. Plus more parts need replaced compared to doing just the tensioner. You should look around more to see if anybody does this as I side job in your area.

this is false, or at least highly misleading. Yes there are more parts (1-2 chains and some guides) but the job is no more complicated. You still have to take apart the block and re-time the engine. the difference is maybe an hour.

Hey Guys, question.

I have a 2012 model but build date is 11/11 which im sure doesn't have the updated tensioner, I havent checked but im pretty confident is doesnt have it. I am planning on getting it done soon since I just hit 60k.

Now, the shop who has done my clutch and k04 install wants to charge me 400$ for labor(which is an amazing price) and told me they will supply me with the updated tensioner and i asked if i needed anything else and they said no.

Should i trust that? only swapping out the tensioner and calling it a day?

do the chains and gasket and rails. if you do just the tensioner you run the risk of getting chain slack which will cause the same catastrophic failure. $400 is a very good price, our shop does the job for $500 + parts and that is one of the lowest i've seen quoted on this forum. You might as well spend the extra $150-200 on the chains etc and do the job right.

Although I am worried with a price so low, they are planning on swapping the tensioner while hoping not to turn the chain and therefor skipping on retiming the engine. this is very risky but it saves quite a bit of time. if you insist on doing chains the price might go up a few hundred for labor alone.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
And this is why you always replace the chain when doing the tensioner (I know you had no input here, just sayin'). That's the high end of the price range. you should call around and see if anyone can give you a labor price if you supply all parts. parts will run you a few hundred and include gasket, chain and guide rails (the cost of parts is negligible when compared to the cost of getting inside the damn thing so you might as well replace all wear and tear parts in the system. Depending on how a mechanic calculates their rates, a labor cost in the $500-1000 range is good. Lots of experienced mechanics just quote a cost for the job that they are familiar with. the ones that charge you per hour are the ones that come up with the $2k price on work like this, stay away from those mechanics.

this is false, or at least highly misleading. Yes there are more parts (1-2 chains and some guides) but the job is no more complicated. You still have to take apart the block and re-time the engine. the difference is maybe an hour.

do the chains and gasket and rails. if you do just the tensioner you run the risk of getting chain slack which will cause the same catastrophic failure. $400 is a very good price, our shop does the job for $500 + parts and that is one of the lowest i've seen quoted on this forum. You might as well spend the extra $150-200 on the chains etc and do the job right.

Although I am worried with a price so low, they are planning on swapping the tensioner while hoping not to turn the chain and therefor skipping on retiming the engine. this is very risky but it saves quite a bit of time. if you insist on doing chains the price might go up a few hundred for labor alone.

Thank you for the info and yes i agreed, i wouldnt mind spending a few more hundred bucks on a new chain and rail to be 100% on the install. Will have to look into it soon. [emoji482]

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
Ugh my dealer wants $1600 to do chains, guides and tensioner. I’m at 82k so I don’t want to take the risk. I may need carbon cleaning on top of that. The dealer say that all dealerships will charge the same. Not sure if I buy that, but I will be calling around to get quotes on both.

Edit: they said my timing chain was lose, but how? The car sounds normal too.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Ugh my dealer wants $1600 to do chains, guides and tensioner. I’m at 82k so I don’t want to take the risk. I may need carbon cleaning on top of that. The dealer say that all dealerships will charge the same. Not sure if I buy that, but I will be calling around to get quotes on both.

Edit: they said my timing chain was lose, but how? The car sounds normal too.

Is there an indy shop near you? I’d take it there instead and try to save some money. Dealerships over charge, at least mine does.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
$1600 for chains, guides, and tensioner is actually a pretty fair price.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Good to hear. Mine is ridiculous on what they charge. I’m sure mine would be at least $2000 lol.

I just had mine done for $1650 at the indie shop I've been going to forever, and a 2nd shop around here quoted me similar.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Finally got mine done last night along with the Fluidampr pulley and driving home last night everything is butter smooth. I’m sure that’s the pulley though :). The engine does start smoother and overall seems better.