GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Teddy Redskinz
Touring Car Champion
 
Drives: 2012 UG GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 255
Has this problem been confirmed on other cars? the TSI engine has been around since late 2008 and is deployed on several VW models.
Teddy Redskinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
lowerthanzimmy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: Bagged 11' GTI, 12' Beetle
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BEL AIR, MD/ NEWARK, DE
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Redskinz View Post
Has this problem been confirmed on other cars? the TSI engine has been around since late 2008 and is deployed on several VW models.
yes, the TSB report is for 2.0 TSI Engine All models '08-Current.


alot of the cases i found were Tiguans when i was researching the fault codes i got.
__________________
Detailing in the DE/MD/PA area....
All in the DEtails -click the link to see pictures of my work.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/lowerthanzimmy/5969775653_5d1b4c78c3_b-1.jpg
lowerthanzimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
SkullV
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Tiguan SE 4Motion
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerthanzimmy View Post
yes, the TSB report is for 2.0 TSI Engine All models '08-Current.


alot of the cases i found were Tiguans when i was researching the fault codes i got.
Yep, the problem seems most prevalent in 2009 Tiguans. I believe this is related to the Automatic Transmission. When you park it allows the car to roll a bit and takes up the "slack" in te timing chain. If the tensioner is failing or has failed it will cause the car to jump timing.

I put on my parking brake EVERY time I park now.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
I've also heard of Accusump Oil Accumulators as a fix.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
chc29
Touring Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Yep, the problem seems most prevalent in 2009 Tiguans. I believe this is related to the Automatic Transmission. When you park it allows the car to roll a bit and takes up the "slack" in te timing chain. If the tensioner is failing or has failed it will cause the car to jump timing.

I put on my parking brake EVERY time I park now.
might be a complete misunderstanding here.. but does that mean we MT shouldn't park in gear??
chc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #20
SkullV
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Tiguan SE 4Motion
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by chc29 View Post
might be a complete misunderstanding here.. but does that mean we MT shouldn't park in gear??
I would get to where you want to park, pull the parking brake, and then put it in gear as a second layer of protection. Once the parking brake is pulled you shouldn't roll.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
chc29
Touring Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
I would get to where you want to park, pull the parking brake, and then put it in gear as a second layer of protection. Once the parking brake is pulled you shouldn't roll.
I thought the same, just making sure
chc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
SuPeR GTi
Formula 5000 Driver
 
SuPeR GTi's Avatar
 
Drives: 12' GTI MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,935
im going to ignore this issue till i reach 5yr or 60k. in the meantime, i hope to have an extended warranty time span if this issue occurs. similar to what vw did for the fsi's cam follower issue. i know this issue has not affected no where near as many people the cam follower issue did, but we dont really know how this will affect us as more of us get closer to 100k and beyond.
SuPeR GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #23
prospal
Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: '11 GTI Sun/Navi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Morris County, NJ
Posts: 390
anyone know a roundabout price it would cost to have VW install the updated tensioner? I understand it all depends on labor charge rates or w/e, but maybe roughly how many hours of labor to perform this update?

i'm still under warranty, but i'm pretty sure i'll get shot down if I ask for this to be updated at my 30k service next week lol. it is a TSB right?
prospal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #24
speed
Rally Car Newbie
 
speed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 VW RS GTI DSG
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospal View Post
anyone know a roundabout price it would cost to have VW install the updated tensioner? I understand it all depends on labor charge rates or w/e, but maybe roughly how many hours of labor to perform this update?

i'm still under warranty, but i'm pretty sure i'll get shot down if I ask for this to be updated at my 30k service next week lol. it is a TSB right?
scary stuff ain't it? thing is, even if the model's a new one, they may encounter the same problem whether at 10k or 60k mileage.. I'm just curious what's the percentage of such problem amongst vw owners (if they haven't gone for a recall yet, guess they're opting to fix whenever one comes up)


from lowerthanzimmy's post:

__________________
UNITRONIC Stage 2|SPM Downpipe|UNITRONIC Cold Air Intake
speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #25
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite
 
maxtdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 18,567
Thanks I'll add it to the reference.
__________________
2011 TDI - DSG/// Only Option- Mudguards.
Mods:Blk HIDs, LED Tails, 17" Sparcos, RNS510, JL Stealthbox.
maxtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
SkullV
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Tiguan SE 4Motion
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,529
Hey, I recognize that photo.....
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
lowerthanzimmy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: Bagged 11' GTI, 12' Beetle
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BEL AIR, MD/ NEWARK, DE
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
Thanks I'll add it to the reference.
my new motor has a build date of 9/12... and has the updated tensioner on it.
__________________
Detailing in the DE/MD/PA area....
All in the DEtails -click the link to see pictures of my work.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/lowerthanzimmy/5969775653_5d1b4c78c3_b-1.jpg
lowerthanzimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #28
lowerthanzimmy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: Bagged 11' GTI, 12' Beetle
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BEL AIR, MD/ NEWARK, DE
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Hey, I recognize that photo.....



because it is from the thread you posted on vortex with that tiguan.
__________________
Detailing in the DE/MD/PA area....
All in the DEtails -click the link to see pictures of my work.
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee490/lowerthanzimmy/5969775653_5d1b4c78c3_b-1.jpg
lowerthanzimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.