GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #43
SkullV
Banned

Drives: 2010 Tiguan SE 4Motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
Another Tiguan. 92k on this one, out of warranty. We'll see how VWoA responds with the TSB being issued:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...IL-Need-Advice
FYI VWoA has refused to fix this guys issue out of warranty. Understandable but upsetting since the problem is well known and a TSB has been issued.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #44
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
FYI VWoA has refused to fix this guys issue out of warranty. Understandable but upsetting since the problem is well known and a TSB has been issued.
TSB isn't a recall so warranty limits still apply. Sucks, I agree. At this point I would think it would escalate to a recall (not a minor issue, fragging an engine with little to no warning is kinda a big deal).
2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #45
SuPeR GTi
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 12' GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
TSB isn't a recall so warranty limits still apply. Sucks, I agree. At this point I would think it would escalate to a recall (not a minor issue, fragging an engine with little to no warning is kinda a big deal).
maybe we can get an internet petition or something to change this. maybe a massive letter with e-signatures? ill be willing to donate to someone that can cough up a crazy letter to send to vwoa with 100+ people backing it up.
SuPeR GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #46
2010_Jersey_GTi
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Uni Stg 2+ MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPeR GTi View Post
maybe we can get an internet petition or something to change this. maybe a massive letter with e-signatures? ill be willing to donate to someone that can cough up a crazy letter to send to vwoa with 100+ people backing it up.
im all for this.
2010_Jersey_GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #47
2010_Jersey_GTi
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
THis.. ------^^^^^^^
i think we would need to include a detailed technical explanation of the issue, unknown causes and symptoms, etc and a an explanation of how vital this part is. should also include a disclaimer that no modifications play any roll in this part failing or failing even more prematurely than they already are. also, a financial analysis on how issuing a recall could save vwoa money in the long run. much cheaper to recall a part of this monetary value than an entire long block. a pr statement saying this will increase brand loyalty because it shows they stand behind their products and want their customers to be satisfied. lastly, maybe a paragraph regarding legal obligation or responsibility based on vwoa having issued a tsb with full knowledge if this vital part failing and taking no action for a remedy. if no legal obligation, maybe how it could be ruled they are responsible for not taking "reasonable" action on an issue they are fully aware of.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #48
DBESTGTI
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Stage 2 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
There is no way it will become a recall because it's not a safety related issue. These crap out upon starting the car.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #49
2010_Jersey_GTi
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBESTGTI View Post
There is no way it will become a recall because it's not a safety related issue. These crap out upon starting the car.
Understand it won't become a "recall". I am just thinking about how customers could convince VWoA to replace all units that crap out like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
fasteddy
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Toy
I don't know... You could certainly convince me that a sudden loss of power, etc could certainly be a safety hazard. If you frag an engine my simple understanding says you lose out on many safe driving components
Old 11-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #51
BAM its mitch
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 DBP 4d GTI w/Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
I don't know... You could certainly convince me that a sudden loss of power, etc could certainly be a safety hazard. If you frag an engine my simple understanding says you lose out on many safe driving components
The problem is, it isn't a "sudden loss of power"

Once running, the tensioner works properly. When you shut the car off and oil pressure drops though, the tensioner relies on a sort of ratcheting system to maintain tension. When this ratcheting system fails, the tensioner goes slack and the car jumps timing upon the subsequent startup.
K04 Club Member #13
BAM its mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #52
fasteddy
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Toy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM its mitch View Post
The problem is, it isn't a "sudden loss of power"

Once running, the tensioner works properly. When you shut the car off and oil pressure drops though, the tensioner relies on a sort of ratcheting system to maintain tension. When this ratcheting system fails, the tensioner goes slack and the car jumps timing upon the subsequent startup.
Well that's a bummer! Thanks for the explanation
Old 11-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #53
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBESTGTI View Post
HHhmmmm

ok, how about this. You go to hang out with a friend that lives in a SHITTY ghetto slum. End up staying later than you thought, go out to your car and it's pitch black, streetlights are all busted. There's a multi-cultural gang of thugs on the corner who stare you down as you get in your car. Then move forward at you producing weapons. You go to start your car and it won't start, then it starts and the engine grenades.....you now get pulled out of your car and beat to death by these thuggish youts.

I dunno, sounds like a safety issue to me.
2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #54
OcalaMKVI
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI MK6
I've spent most of the morning trying to research the TSB for the Timing chain with no results. My dealer has never heard of it and the 8 other Florida dealers I've contacted have never heard of it. I've directed their attention to the NHTSA web site,, they just say it is not an issue for VW as of this time. I called VW US customer relations and they say talk to your dealer. Is this really a major issue with the TSI engine? WTF, I have had great reliability so far through 47000 miles, not one issue now this has me worried!
OcalaMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #55
johnny_p
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaMKVI View Post
I've spent most of the morning trying to research the TSB for the Timing chain with no results. My dealer has never heard of it and the 8 other Florida dealers I've contacted have never heard of it. I've directed their attention to the NHTSA web site,, they just say it is not an issue for VW as of this time. I called VW US customer relations and they say talk to your dealer. Is this really a major issue with the TSI engine? WTF, I have had great reliability so far through 47000 miles, not one issue now this has me worried!
The TSI engine has many issues. This is only one. Like the other problems, some cars will have it, others won't. There is no way to diagnose the problem, if it breaks it does so without warning. Failure rate is pretty low right now, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I actually do still drive a MK6
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #56
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
One thing ppl need to understand here...

TSB - DOESN'T EQUAL A FREE FIX.

Even if the TSB is out there no one will fix your car.