GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #57
2010_Jersey_GTi
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Uni Stg 2+ MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
One thing ppl need to understand here...

TSB - DOESN'T EQUAL A FREE FIX.

Even if the TSB is out there no one will fix your car.
Well, they'll fix it if it breaks, but no proactive action will be taken.
2010_Jersey_GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #58
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I know of this tensioner, the intake manifold, and water pump failures. Is that it for popular problems on these?
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #59
2010_Jersey_GTi
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Uni Stg 2+ MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
I know of this tensioner, the intake manifold, and water pump failures. Is that it for popular problems on these?
TOB squeal / failure.

But yes, i think that's it.
2010_Jersey_GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #60
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Thread bump.

Yesterday, I went to go start my car to go to the gym. Car starts, but really rough (huffing and puffing), EPC and check engine light are blinking, then the car dies. "Fuck, here we go I think". Went to go restart the car and it starts fine.

Tell you the truth, this is not the first time that this has happened, probably the third time in the last 12 months. Every now and then the car will start, but with really low RPMs like its gonna die or something, so I rev the engine a little to help it start and stay on. So far every time that I've experienced a rough start, I'd try a second time and everything would be ok.

Starting to get worried though. I'm already at 59k miles .
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #61
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Have you scanned it to see what codes it was displaying? Might be something else?

Man, I would be so on edge on the second start, wondering if it's gonna blow.....

2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #62
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRhod View Post
Thread bump.

Yesterday, I went to go start my car to go to the gym. Car starts, but really rough (huffing and puffing), EPC and check engine light are blinking, then the car dies. "Fuck, here we go I think". Went to go restart the car and it starts fine.

Tell you the truth, this is not the first time that this has happened, probably the third time in the last 12 months. Every now and then the car will start, but with really low RPMs like its gonna die or something, so I rev the engine a little to help it start and stay on. So far every time that I've experienced a rough start, I'd try a second time and everything would be ok.

Starting to get worried though. I'm already at 59k miles .
I think you lost a coil or two or maybe a fuel pump. The tensioner really fks up the engine.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #63
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Have you scanned it to see what codes it was displaying? Might be something else?

Man, I would be so on edge on the second start, wondering if it's gonna blow.....

I haven't scanned it yet. Haven't had time (nor do I own my own cable to scan).

Yeah, I was waiting anxiously as I tried to start it the second time. I'm afraid that the next time this happens the engine won't start (fingers crossed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
I think you lost a coil or two or maybe a fuel pump. The tensioner really fks up the engine.
Yeah, I'm thinking I should change the coils out already to the R8 ones as precaution. Once running, the engine feels fine though (still pulls like a Stage 2 car should ).
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #64
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRhod View Post
I haven't scanned it yet. Haven't had time (nor do I own my own cable to scan).
Let me know, I can scan it for you.

I would think a coil would cause it to run shitty no matter what. But a slipping tensioner should just cause 2.0L paperweight.

Weird
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #65
mully
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 carbon grey gti
my car has done this several times as well. It wants to stall out then catches and runs fine. I don't think it has anything to do with the tensioner, I think it's an ecu gremlin. I think it may be a case of needing to be cranked over another .1 second that does this. As if you didn't turn the key for long enough and it's probably a fraction of a second difference.
mully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #66
littleazn248
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Audi SQ5/ F30 335i
I've had my car die out right after turning it over. It used to happen pretty frequently like maybe once a week. Overtime the problem went away.

Golfmk6 on the go!
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #67
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Wasn't there a $300 battery cable junction mod that caused the car to start .00056 seconds faster? maybe that would help.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #68
ncampos976
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
just replaced one last week, teeth stripped on the tensioner , installed updated tensioner and reset timing, was fine after that.
ncampos976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #69
The_Other_Aaron
Go Kart Champion

Drives: tsi MkV gti
Hey guys, thinking I've just experienced this issue. Just wanted to get ya'lls thoughts.

2009 MkV TSI with 83xxx on the clock, GIAC stg 2.

The other day I was driving and popped what I'm fairly certain was my turbo outlet pipe, as I've had that one come undone before. The car ran fine, other than the obvious lack of power. I had to drive the car a pretty good distance like this, just doing my best to avoid spooling the turbo.

Everything was fine until I pulled into my driveway and came to a stop. As my rpms fell down to idle, it dropped far too low, like 4-500, and then I started getting a lot of valve noise(CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK). Shut the motor off and came back out to scan for codes, the motor then started up and idled at the correct rpm, but the noise was still there and quite loud.

The only codes I got were the P2015 I already knew about, a P0420 from my exhaust, a couple misfire codes from over 1000kms ago, a P0101 MAF implausible signal, and a P0299 from my boost leak.

Now today I went back out, checked my oil level, which was a slight bit low. So I added a bit of oil and tried starting the car again. This time it started, ran for about 3 seconds and died, still with the same loud clacking noise. Scanned again for codes, and now it's only showing the P2015.

This is the first time I've ever had any major problem with this car. I've kept up well with 5k oil changes and such, only having to replace a couple sets of coils.

I've read through a few different Tensioner threads now that this has happened and it's just giving me that horrible "your motor just ate itself" vibe.

TIA for any and all insight ya'll could provide.
The_Other_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #70
PrayforMojo
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI, 2014 M235i
It probably wasn't a good idea to drive with a huge boost leak. The turbo could be done, and it might have spit metal into the motor.
PrayforMojo is offline   Reply With Quote