GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

fasteddy

Ready to race!
I have a faint rattle at startup, but not every startup. It rattles just like the video but much quieter and only for a split second. ( Clack clack clack clack) it has been doing this for a few months.

I'm thinking about taking it in and having thrm check. I'll report back

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
That's the same thing mine started doing not long ago. It only seems to happen on a cold start for me.

Jimmgc51

I have a faint rattle at startup, but not every startup. It rattles just like the video but much quieter and only for a split second. ( Clack clack clack clack) it has been doing this for a few months.

This is exactly what was happening to mine, few seconds of rattle after startup but not every time. In short 3 months later when this started I've just had to tow mine down to VW and push it into the workshop.

Suspect tension failure, currently awaiting engine strip!!

Check out my thread for full details on golf UK forum just google 'Not another tension failure' should bring it up'

Jimmy

Last edited:

BrShootr

Ready to race!
I'd just like to add my specific experience with the tensioner failing. The car started fine, ran fine, everything was "normal." Oil change had been done 500 miles prior to the incident. It happened in an uphill driving up a canyon with no cellphone service. I keep reading that they "only" fail at startup so I figured I'd be the odd man out with one that failed while driving.

Entire engine replaced. I wonder if I got the new tensioner. Could we find the engine serial numbers that have the new tensioner?

fasteddy

Ready to race!
I'd just like to add my specific experience with the tensioner failing. The car started fine, ran fine, everything was "normal." Oil change had been done 500 miles prior to the incident. It happened in an uphill driving up a canyon with no cellphone service. I keep reading that they "only" fail at startup so I figured I'd be the odd man out with one that failed while driving.

Entire engine replaced. I wonder if I got the new tensioner. Could we find the engine serial numbers that have the new tensioner?

Failed while driving? That is pretty damn scary. My build date is 10/11, model year 2012. Anyone else have any updates? I have mine at the dealer now for an oil change. They put me in a rental and they are also going to check on the cold start rattle.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion

Then your failure is different from what everyone else is experiencing. By design, if the ratchet mechanism fails while driving, it won't be an issue until the subsequent start-up.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!

Yes get that looked at. I am more familiar with 12v VR6 motors, and a rattle is usually present before disaster. You usually don't see any problems until 150k, and I had one VR that was perfectly fine.
Sometimes I don't know what is better chains or a belt. In theory you shouldn't have to do anything cars w/ chains, but chains seem to fail at some point no matter what you do. Belts on the other hand are a part of routine maintenance. At least with a belt you know when to replace it, but over time the cost really adds up.
I also had a 08' rabbit with 65k on it and no chain issues (or anything else for that matter).

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Sometimes I don't know what is better chains or a belt. nything else for that matter).

Gear drive FTW :) Yes, harder vibrations and harmonics on the engine, but removes a failure point and can be handled with proper engineering. Plus, cool sound. :)

Seriously, chains are better, dropping $500+ every 40-60k on top of regular maintenance is a killer, and belts can break and stretch even with regular changes. This is a design issue with the tensioner, I wouldn't blame the chain system as a whole.

GTI2.01

Ready to race!
Gear drive FTW :) Yes, harder vibrations and harmonics on the engine, but removes a failure point and can be handled with proper engineering. Plus, cool sound. :)

Seriously, chains are better, dropping $500+ every 40-60k on top of regular maintenance is a killer, and belts can break and stretch even with regular changes. This is a design issue with the tensioner, I wouldn't blame the chain system as a whole.

Good point about the difference. The VRs it was the guides that wear out over time. I'm not sure about the 2.5s, because I haven't heard of any issues. What is the life of the TSI chains?

theburningclutch

Ready to race!
Failed while driving? That is pretty damn scary. My build date is 10/11, model year 2012. Anyone else have any updates? I have mine at the dealer now for an oil change. They put me in a rental and they are also going to check on the cold start rattle.

I think the only way that you can find out what tensioner you have is to remove the lower timing cover, which is an invovled task. I tried checking with the dealer and got excited when they gave me the part number, but then I was corrected that the dealer parts department will only know what should have been put in your car, but not what was actually installed at the factory.

That being said, I just ordered a tensioner kit from HSTuning and will be replacing it as preventative maintenance. Call me paranoid, but this will probably be the first car I keep beyond 70k miles. Plus, I'm interested to see just how many miles a TSI engine can go before going to cast iron Heaven. :thumbsup:

Our aircraft tug with Ford's 4.9L strait-6 is a beast, and that has a gear driven cam. It gets so much abuse, yet keeps going. Will even pop a wheelie if you want it to... hense the abuse :D

Good point about the difference. The VRs it was the guides that wear out over time. I'm not sure about the 2.5s, because I haven't heard of any issues. What is the life of the TSI chains?

I think the timing chain is suppose to last the life of the engine. Though if you ever have to replace the plastic chain guides, might as well replace the chain while you're at it. Probably very unnessesary, but wouldn't hurt.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Bump this!

I have been having a quiet gentle rattle too..

Do I just get the HStuning kit and two VW tools required?

I am getting the shop that did my K04 do it, they probably haven't done this before, but it doesn't look impossible to me.

vdubvroom

Ready to race!
Bump this!

I have been having a quiet gentle rattle too..

Do I just get the HStuning kit and two VW tools required?

I am getting the shop that did my K04 do it, they probably haven't done this before, but it doesn't look impossible to me.

oh noooo! Hope this doesnt happen to me when I get my K04 in :\ lol thats the only thing im worried about... and that my dealer will not offer to cover it under warrenty. But from the DIYs it doesnt seem like too hard of a job to do. What is your milage?

fasteddy

Ready to race!
So I'll update. Dealer SA said that "It was a normal noise. Oil settling after several hours, and then a normal startup can cause noise like this."

Which is total BS if you ask me, but they reminded me that "it is part of the drivetrain warranty so you have a while to go."

No luck on a replacement or fix.