GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

IAtegeler

Ready to race!
Well I may not have let the gasket maker cure long enough. I gave it 13 hours before I had to oil it up but it looks like i may have a small leak :(

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Well I may not have let the gasket maker cure long enough. I gave it 13 hours before I had to oil it up but it looks like i may have a small leak :(

What type of sealent did you use? I only let mine cure for 2 hours and it didn’t leak.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I start cars like 30 Minutes after the cover goes on (after I’m done putting everything back together) and I’ve never had a leak. Use OEM sealant..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Neil in nor cal did mine with permatex ultra black rtv, only tacked it up for a few mins but we poured oil in after he got the car back together and its had no leaks ever since.

spudly

2011 GTI, 113K miles. Pro actively pursuing the fix before I get hit after discovering the problem about 2 weeks ago from random web search.

Got estimates from 3 VW dealers and all quoted between $2000-$2400. Got a quote from a mechanic specializing in German cars would be about $1650 but that location is highly inconvenient mileage wise plus I'd need a rental whereas the dealer would provide a rental. For the price and convenience difference a begrudgingly am going to go the VW in case I can get some sort of restitution.

They provided me with a parts list (about 16 items) that total 1180 plus tax then labor.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
2011 GTI, 113K miles. Pro actively pursuing the fix before I get hit after discovering the problem about 2 weeks ago from random web search.

Got estimates from 3 VW dealers and all quoted between $2000-$2400. Got a quote from a mechanic specializing in German cars would be about $1650 but that location is highly inconvenient mileage wise plus I'd need a rental whereas the dealer would provide a rental. For the price and convenience difference a begrudgingly am going to go the VW in case I can get some sort of restitution.

They provided me with a parts list (about 16 items) that total 1180 plus tax then labor.

Good on you getting it done but that price is so high. An indy shop should be able to do it and inspect your chain. I guess at that mileage I'd probably replace everything too but still, damn expensive.

I just replaced my timing chain tensioner and lower timing cover, chain was in good shape so left that alone. My bill was just under $800 with tax.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!

Is the dealer also quoting new chains?. The job is about under $1000 out the door if all your replacing it the timing chain tensioner and timing cover.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed

Agree with others, price is high. Local indy who specializes on VAG cars quoted about $1250 all in for tensioner and chains. I'm at about 65k and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I haven't made a final decision. I've only had this car 6 months, but kind of have a new car bug. Audi S5/A5 has been on my mind lately.

hack-man162

Passed Driver's Ed
I got quoted yesterday by an VW/Audi indy $1600 for everything. Tensioner/chains/guides/lower cover.
I don't know why you wouldn't change the chains when you are already in there doing the tensioners. Chains do stretch over time. The vagcom timing reading on my car was showing -4.11%. The mechanic told me 5% is where they highly recommend doing the service. My car is 2010 GTI with 95K miles.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
unfortunately, I've become victim to this BS. Timing chain may have jumped a tooth and will likely need to replace the stretched chain along with the tensioner. Thankfully, I have another car that I drive daily so I'm not really in a hurry. VW and their parts subcontractors SUCK BALLS.

spudly

Agree with others, price is high. Local indy who specializes on VAG cars quoted about $1250 all in for tensioner and chains. I'm at about 65k and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I haven't made a final decision. I've only had this car 6 months, but kind of have a new car bug. Audi S5/A5 has been on my mind lately.

Sorry for late response. It is for the whole kit and kaboodle. In addition to the 3 VW dealers I got two quotes from independent repair shops. One, who I've used for years was close in price and said he honestly thinks that a VW dealership would be best because of their expertise. The second was a mechanic I never used, but recommended who specializes in German cars. That quote was $1650, however he couldn't get me for 2 weeks AND its location was pretty remote that would require me to rent a car and logistics to drop car off and get a rental just weren't worth it. The VW dealership provides me with a loaner. Lastly while not optimistic, but when I try to get some relief from VW having gone to a VW dealership may have some impact.

Enclosed is the parts list....

Attachments

• Parts XXX  List.jpg
    Parts XXX List.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 323

funnyfarm299

I'm looking at finally getting this service done on my GLI. I've got 93k miles. I've called around to a few shops, and everyone is recommending I do the chains while they're in there. Is it worth the extra parts cost and labor?

I have an independent Audi tech who's willing to do the job. Would he be able to see if the chain is stretched or damaged while he's in there replacing the tensioner?

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I'm looking at finally getting this service done on my GLI. I've got 93k miles. I've called around to a few shops, and everyone is recommending I do the chains while they're in there. Is it worth the extra parts cost and labor?

I have an independent Audi tech who's willing to do the job. Would he be able to see if the chain is stretched or damaged while he's in there replacing the tensioner?

I personally say your best bet is to replace all while the mechanic is in there. Not that much more labor than what you’re already paying .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I replaced my tensioner and cam bridge at 80k miles. left the chain and guides alone. Brought it to a Indy shop that specializes in German cars. $1,500 out the door; admittedly it was on the high side of the price spectrum but they do a great job.

Chains and guides to be replaced at 100-110k mile hopefully.