GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
mwrmt
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MKVI R
Send a message via Yahoo to mwrmt
Question For those with HPFP's....

just curious if any of you replaced the cam follower at the same time? I know your mileage was probably low, but just curious about this.

I was planning on doing this as it would require no more time and the follower isn't that expensive.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" back on PSS10's; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI, TOP & Charge pipe; APR HPFP & TBE; Audi R8 coilpacks; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings, Neuspeed RSe52's on Michelin PSS...
mwrmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
xht20
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Stoneage car
I change my cam follower at 5000km now with Stage 4. When i was with fewer mods i changed it at 8000km. Better to be safe than sorry.
xht20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
davesxx01
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 .:R
Interesting! I "thought" this issue was addressed in our cars vs the older models of it......
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
That John Guy
Rally Car Champion

Drives: CW AARRGGHH
I think it is always going to be an issue because that is a consumable part. Or a wear item, I can't make sense of the idea I have in my mind.. Like breaks eventually they will ALWAYS wear out?
That John Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
SkullV
Banned

Drives: 2010 Tiguan SE 4Motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
Interesting! I "thought" this issue was addressed in our cars vs the older models of it......
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That John Guy View Post
Like breaks eventually they will ALWAYS wear out?
Yep.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2014 Audi S5 Prestige Package
Send a message via AIM to allset
i think its best practice to change both, the MKV issue was due to soft metals used in the folower.

ourr is a 4 lobed cam where mk5 was 3 lobed iirc

MK6 TSI Fuel rail, cam, cam follower, HPFP, Fuel pressure sensor, injectors and components

SOLD! |UNI KO4 #20 |Shaved Hood&Grille|APR Intercooler|Carbonio|KW V1|Peloquin LSD|Brembo GT 330mm|SB Stage 2 clutch| Centric Rear Matching Rotors|SNOW Methanol Injection|UR Catted/Res'd DP|Borla Catback|NEUSPEED RSe12 Hyper Black,KO4 TDP,TB Pipe,NEUSPEED 25mm & 28mm Sways,Support Brackets & Endlinks|Tyrol DeadSet Kit|R LED Tails|Klii Inlay|VCDS Tweaked||SupremePower.com|KMDTuning.com|GSE|

Last edited by allset; 10-13-2012 at 10:32 PM.
allset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
it was mkv had a 3 lobed cam mk6 has 4 lobed, and suppposedly the addesed the soft metals in the mk5 follower for the mk6 folower
SOLD! |UNI KO4 #20 |Shaved Hood&Grille|APR Intercooler|Carbonio|KW V1|Peloquin LSD|Brembo GT 330mm|SB Stage 2 clutch| Centric Rear Matching Rotors|SNOW Methanol Injection|UR Catted/Res'd DP|Borla Catback|NEUSPEED RSe12 Hyper Black,KO4 TDP,TB Pipe,NEUSPEED 25mm & 28mm Sways,Support Brackets & Endlinks|Tyrol DeadSet Kit|R LED Tails|Klii Inlay|VCDS Tweaked||SupremePower.com|KMDTuning.com|GSE|
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
SkullV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allset View Post
it was mkv had a 3 lobed cam mk6 has 4 lobed, and suppposedly the addesed the soft metals in the mk5 follower for the mk6 folower
I think you are confusing the Golf R (FSI) with the GTI (TSI). The golf R still uses a friction cam follower.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
I think you are confusing the Golf R (FSI) with the GTI (TSI). The golf R still uses a friction cam follower.
u mean the diagram?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
whatu are saying makes sense since they are both FSI MK5 and R. The diagram is from VW mk6 TSI tech training manual
Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
That John Guy
Rally Car Champion

Drives: CW AARRGGHH
Yeah that is what I think he was getting at... I was so confused when I opened my hood and saw the TSI cover.... I scratched my head like.. WTF... ha ha
That John Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by That John Guy View Post
Yeah that is what I think he was getting at... I was so confused when I opened my hood and saw the TSI cover.... I scratched my head like.. WTF... ha ha
be happy it said TSI and not FSI or TFSI. Although the TSI has its issues its a much bettter system then tha FSI. Although the TFSI has the audi valve-lift system.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
SkullV
Banned

What it says on the engine cover is misleading. It is the same engine as the pre-2008.5 GTI. It has a timing belt and a friction follower. It's the same engine that has FSI on the cover in the older GTIs.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
allset
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
What it says on the engine cover is misleading. It is the same engine as the pre-2008.5 GTI. It has a timing belt and a friction follower.
right doesnt the euro R say TSI on the cover