GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 10-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
corz123
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 SMB GTI
Cool Buying First Car on My Own. Need help w/ Used GTI Dealer Pricing (UPDATED)

Hi guys. After a lifetime of driving hand-me-down vehicles I've decided to go ahead and make my first vehicle purchase. After doing some exhaustive research I've decided that the GTI should be a very good fit for me.

In any case, I saw a dealer in my area that has a 2010 GTI 4 door with sunroof w/ 28000 miles asking about 20k. Based on edmunds and kbb it seems that is about 2k less than dealer price at 20000 and on the excellent range for private party. They posted on craigslist and I see that it's been on the market for at least a week.

I'm planning to drive up there on Tuesday to check it out and make them an offer. So...

1) I think I can get them down to 19000 and maybe 18500. Would this be a reasonable assumption?

2) What would be a good in this scenario? I am also open to offers from private parties as well...just want a good car at a good price.

3) How is the market for GTIs? Would dealers be eager to get a used GTI off their lots? In this case it is a Toyota dealership that is selling the GTI...would it be different for a VW dealer?

Thanks in advance guys!

Btw, first post...go easy

http://www.toyotaofberkeley.com/inve...65787-aw412857
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3340746722.html

Last edited by corz123; 10-19-2012 at 11:17 PM.
corz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
Welcome!

Some tips...

1) Test drive multiple used GTIs to see how they are...because if you drive only one and assume that's how the car is...you might be over looking a subtle problem. So test drive multiple GTIs to see is the DSG is shifting smoothly or if the clutch picks up well in the manual (DSG too actually hahah)

2) Post the link to the car so we have a better understanding of the car. 20k is a lot for a base 4DR with just sunroof....unless it has other options such as dsg, xenon etc.

3) For me the number one tell on if the used car was properly taken care of...look at the tires. If all 4 are the same that's a plus...if all 4 are worn evenly that's a bigger plus...if all 4 tires are Michelin SuperSport that's a winner (jkjk)

4) Check to make sure all the panels are aligned and the headlights are aligned...ask for a carfax report. 2010 were still part of the free-maintenance so there should be a record of the oil changes at 10k and 20k at VW.

5) Just look around and don't be afraid to walk away from a GTI if something feels funny about it. There are plenty on the market to choose from.
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
chc29
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Look in the cars for sale section of the forum here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

There are cars priced very very well on there.
chc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
AXO
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI Candy White
I would gun for $20,000 out the door. This include tax, tag, dealer prep and any other bullshit charge they usually tack on. I can tell you here in South Florida GTIs are in high demand. I think your price is in the ball park. But I have learned to negoiate out the door price. They are masters at playing with numbers and can be very decieving!

So negoiate a "Out of the Door" Price...... Also don't get discouraged if this GTI does not work out. there are a ton of them out there and you can always find a better deal.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Agree on the OTD price. Also, make sure you get CPO. Honestly, for a 2010, I wouldn't spend more than $19k. Is it Autobahn?
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
credit union for financing.....

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
corz123
Touring Car Champion

another I was looking at from a private party..
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3340746722.html

Last edited by corz123; 10-19-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Definitely the first one from the toyota dealer...if it has a clean carfax and runs/shifts smoothly jump on it. Xenon, Sunroof, Detroits, DSG...for under 20,000 out the door...is a very good deal. Plus it has the better of the oem equipment all-season tires...p-zeros
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
corz123
Touring Car Champion

Do you think 20k OTD is going to be a long shot? I think that's a price I can work with.

Btw, is there a way to sort the sales forum by location? I went through it a few times manually over the past week and didn't see any in a configuration or price I liked...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
ok so the one at the dealer (toyota) has some bogus things listed (i.e. 17" denvers and halogen headlamps).. both of these are actually better - it has 18" Detroits and Xenon headlamps (huge +). Car appears in decent shape, but pics can hide anything - give it agood walk around and make a big deal about every scratch and dent and start negotiating with that. It's DSG so that adds value as DSG is about $2k more when new. NO nav or leather so definitely not autobahn (just DSG/sunroof/Xenon package).

I say shoot for $19.5 out the door and you got a great deal.
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGVW View Post
ok so the one at the dealer (toyota) has some bogus things listed (i.e. 17" denvers and halogen headlamps).. both of these are actually better - it has 18" Detroits and Xenon headlamps (huge +). Car appears in decent shape, but pics can hide anything - give it agood walk around and make a big deal about every scratch and dent and start negotiating with that. It's DSG so that adds value as DSG is about $2k more when new. NO nav or leather so definitely not autobahn (just DSG/sunroof/Xenon package).

I say shoot for $19.5 out the door and you got a great deal.
+1 with the suggested price...btw this is what happens when you get a toyota dealer to re-sell a vw
Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
Definitely the first one from the toyota dealer...if it has a clean carfax and runs/shifts smoothly jump on it. Xenon, Sunroof, Detroits, DSG...for under 20,000 out the door...is a very good deal. Plus it has the better of the oem equipment all-season tires...p-zeros
+1

20k OTD is a great deal on that car... it is about 28k new!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
corz123
Touring Car Champion

Hey guys. The dealer just provided me with a copy of the carfax and I saw the following information:

09/19/2010 California
Damage Report Accident reported
Involving right side impact
09/19/2010 Damage Report Damage reported after
accident or other incident

Apparently this was a 24 month lease to someone and it was hit about 2 months into the lease. It was sold at auction this August before ending up at this dealership.

How should I proceed? Should I skip this altogether because of the accident 2 years ago (it seems the owner was able to drive it for 2 years afterwards) or try to get a price cut for the blemish on the carfax record? I imagine this could be an issue if I were to resell it...

Thanks!

Last edited by corz123; 10-19-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
AXO
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI Candy White
PASS!

Tags
california, dealer, gti, newbie, price