GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

@Southbend

kashak

Ready to race!
<rant>
Clutch: Southbend Stage 3 Daily non-silent design
This is going to be a long post. If it's in a wrong section, please move it.
Didn't want the situation to escalate to this, but it is apparent that I am being ripped off.

August 30

I came back from a road trip and the same day my clutch started acting up. The shifter would not go into any gear after one of the stops at the traffic light. The pedal felt normal. I turned of my car, was able to put it in first gear, turned it back, and it went. Freak occurrence, I thought. Got home fine, hand washed the car. Turned it on - won't get into gear. Tried the same method I used before and, as I turned on the car, clutch fully pressed, car stalled. Waited till next morning to get it to H2Sport.

August 31

Tom@H2Sport suggested I take it a dealer and get the issue identified and fixed under warranty. His only guess at the time was a faulty slave cylinder. Dealer gets the car.

September 5

Dealer calls, says they replaced the master cylinder and bled the clutch under warranty and the car appears to working correctly. I get there, sign the paper, get to my car, start it - won't go into gear. I go back to the dealer, tell them it isn't fixed. They got the 2 mechanics that test drove it to come up front, and they said that it shifted fine when they took it to check if it worked. It would make sense to me since the problem didn't happen all the time - about 50/50. I leave the car.

September 7

Dealer shoots me an email - they took the tranny out and the springs on the clutch disk went:

I decided to contact APR, since I bought the clutch from them directly.

September 12

Chris@APR finally gets back to me and asks for pictures, details etc for him to forward to Southbend.

September 13

I get a reply from Chris@APR saying that Southbend needs to inspect the clutch for warranty:
I have a customer that puyrchased a clutch from one of our dealers and has ran into an issue with springs poping out of the clutch disk. What do we need to do to get this changed out for him. This item hasn’t been on the car for more than 6 months if that.
OK, the clutch will need to be shipped back to us for inspection. Please include a note in the box so we know what the deal is.

September 17

I ship my clutch to Southbend from H2Sport. Same day I shoot them an email asking about time frame, to which Jon@Southbend replies:
The warranty process takes 2 days.

September 24

I shoot another email to Jon@Southbend asking for an update:
It was granted a warranty. It will leave today or Tuesday.

September 27

The clutch was supposed to arrive by now, I shoot Jon another email to get a tracking number so that I could set an appointment to get my replacement clutch in:
It was shipped back to APR. I apologize if it was supposed to be shipped back to a different address, I probably should have asked you.
I shipped it from H2Sport and they shipped it to APR? :mad0259:
APR got the clutch the same day and sent it my way, providing a tracking number.

October 2

The clutch arrives, it is installed. The clutch won't disengage. FML.
Here is an email from Tom@H2Sport to Jon@Southbend that he wrote the next day:
Hi Jon

We installed a customer supplied South Bend clutch/flywheel kit - KTSI-F-SS-O on a 2011 VW GTI.
Shortly thereafter, the customer experienced poor gear engagement.
He took the car to the dealer who could reproduce the issue and installed a new clutch master cylinder under warranty.
But the symptom was still there.
They then proceeded to remove the transmission and found the springs in the clutch disk coming free. See pictures below.
The customer had the whole assembly shipped to South Bend for inspection - RMA # 204353

South Bend shipped a warranty replacement kit - SO # 31119 - arriving yesterday October 2. There was no part number on the box nor on the packing list.
The kit included a re-worked flywheel, a replacement disk and a pressure plate.
It was noted that while the original pressure plate was painted red, the replacement pressure plate was unpainted.
The dealer proceeded to install the replacement kit as well as a brand new VW slave cylinder.
With the installation complete, and the system bled, the clutch will not completely disengage.
It was noted that with the car on a hoist, engine running, transmission in any gear, and the clutch pressed, the wheels were spinning. In this condition, if the brakes were applied, the wheels will stop spinning and the engine would bog down almost to the point of stalling.
Also, with the car on a hoist, engine running, clutch pedal pressed, it was very difficult to engage any gear.
Naturally the thought was insufficient system bleed. So the tech proceeded to pressure bleed again but no change. Then a vacuum bleed, and no change. Then a manual bleed, and no change. Then the car was left overnight and bled again in the morning and no change.

Also, the customer noted the pedal feels much softer than it did with the original kit installed.

The clutch pedal assembly was found to be intact, not cracked or broken and will stroke the master cylinder fully.
There are no leaks in the system either. They hose between the master and slave is intact.

Right now the car is un-drivable. And it's been down since September 6 and the customer is at wits end.

In summary:
the car has a new master, new slave, new warranty replacement clutch/flywheel kit and it's not possible to engage any gear.
the car has been down since September 6

We suspect a problem with the warranty replacement clutch kit. And we need to tell the customer something.
The customer is already on the hook for removing the old kit, shipping it to SB for inspection and installing the replacement.
It's 6 hours labor to re-re the transmission. He simply can't afford to have the transmission removed again.
Will SB cover the cost to remove and install the transmission, and cost to ship the clutch assembly to SB for inspection?

Tom

To which Jon replies:
We will cover the labor if the rebuilt clutch is wrong or defective. However, we must inspect the clutch before the payment is made. So the clutch will have to be sent in again. I will pay the shipping on this return, so let me know what the address is and I will send a label for the UPS driver to come and get it.

Tranny is taken out the same day.

October 10

After a few calls and a few emails which got no reply, 7 days after Jon@Southbend agreed to send a label for UPS, my replacement clutch finally gets picked up. I am told by Jon that everything is on schedule.

October 17
The clutch arrived on the 12th, but it wasn't even looked at until 5 days later and a call from me. Turns out, Jon went on vacation. Dave@Southbend said he will have a look for me. Couple of hours later I get this:
The clutch disc you have sent to me for inspection has been contaminated with grease. It appears that your installer over-greased the input shaft of the transmission as there is grease build-up on the splines of the disc and the inside of the pressure plate. You can also see a shiny glazed area of the friction material on the pressure plate side as well as smell the burnt grease. If you need detailed pictures, I can send them.
I am sorry, but what the fuck? Grease causes slipping, not disengagement issues. I shoot an email back quoting Tom's email to Jon. Then I get this:
You are correct, although grease on the disc will cause slipping, the pressure plate was not bolted down completely. This should have also been noticed by the installer upon installation, because the fingers of the diaphragm would have been crooked. The bolt holes of the flywheel are damaged, the pressure plate bolts are also damaged. If the fingers are crooked upon install, we should have received a phone call or email stating there was a problem. the clutch should not have been installed.

I would also like to add that the wear pattern of the disc is completely normal. This clutch is not broken-in, once the clutch is broken-in, it will make full contact. Reason it wasn't broken in is because of the grease on the disc and because of the lack of pressure on the disc (pressure plate not bolted down all the way).
What we do not know is if the holes were damaged with the first installation, before the rebuild. Or the second installation. I have spoken with my boss, Andy, and we are going to rebuild the clutch again. We're going to make it like new again and include a new flywheel as yours was damaged. All at no charge. If the damage happened with the first install, we should have discovered it during the rebuild. H2 should have noticed during the install, after the rebuild. What we would like to see is H2 Sport cover the labor as we see fault on their side. We're both losing money, but we're taking care of you, the customer and that's what's important.
Ah, so the story changes. Still some stuff about slipping...oh well. The pressure plate was not bolted down all the way. Except it was (Tom took some pictures and made a little punchmark before sending it back to Southbend, along with some measurements). When this was brought back at Dave, he ignored it. Well, I thought, I'll just wait for Jon to come back.

September 21

After 2 months of not having a car, ~20 emails, ~20 calls, some measurements comparing the 2nd replacement to my oem setup, the clutch was installed and it worked out of the box(which now contained a warranty paper, instructions and a part number - something that didn't come the first time I got a replacement). I paid $770 for a flawless install and another $170ish for a new slave cylinder, which was requested by me.

September 23

I email Jon the invoice that I got from the install of the first replacement, which turned out to be $1200 after tax, thanks to all the bleeding. Here's what I got in reply:
I spoke to Dave and the other tech that looked at your clutch. They said that the bolt holes were striped out and grease was found on the friction pads. The bolt holes being striped out will cause a slipping issue and a disengagement issue.

Dave said that the parts were replaced at no charge but that the labor will not be covered.

I will stand by what Dave has decided. There will be no labor payment because the parts were damaged.
Slipping issues, yet again. Wrote a polite reply with a few questions:
So what is the explanation for my original clutch for failing first time? Could you please elaborate?
Quoted crew219's thread in which he had an issue that mirrored mine - http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33625
Why did you rebuild the clutch again if it was clearly the installer's fault? For all I know the bolts might have been damaged after springs went out, and it was missed during the inspection at Southbend.
If you were just being nice, whouldn't you at least have a courtesy to advise me about going to another shop?
Why did you replace the crank bolts on a pressure plate after the second inspection but not the first?
To which he replied:
I can't elaborate on either the first or second time you sent in your clutch. I did not personally look at either one. So I must stand by what my fellow employees said. If Andy and Dave have told you that the parts were not defective and their will be no labor payment, that is also my answer.
Yes Jon. How about the fact that I had to get a replacement in the first place? Not defective? Didn't know clutches were supposed to take a shit so soon? I guess I should be thankful for getting a replacement at all, huh?

I have no reason to doubt H2Sport or Ben@GeorgetownVW's work. It is a straightforward install.
Southbend has shown to: release beta-products, change stories, show complete lack of respect to customers. My requests were not unreasonable. I didn't ask to get my engine or tranny replaced. I paid $1300 and $700 for original clutch and install. I paid $900 more for something that should not be happening to a product who's front page slogan reads "There is nothing in this world that a person cannot make cheaper and sell for less and people who consider price alone are this man's lawful prey". At least not so soon. I am on a hook for $1200 more because the company that builds these clutches likes pointing fingers at everyone but themselves. To anyone who's considering Southbend in the future - you better be sure to document everything, take measurements and save all emails when dealing wiith that company. They will try or say ANYTHING to put the blame on ANYONE but themselves.

</rant>

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
This is why I'm terrified of my clutch going out... It's super expensive. Although it is super expensive, its not a guaranteed ordeal.

I'm going for a Sachs clutch, I spoke to a VWR guy and he told me they're the best for the platform. VWR has a good track record of pairing up with the best for their hardware, I'm hoping their assessment of Sachs is spot on too.

OldDirty

Ready to race!
Southbend sucks.....If I ever have to do a full replacement I'm currently thinking the Sachs route as well.

ehancock

Ready to race!
What a shitty situation. Knowing i will need a clutch within the next 6-8 months... this sucks. This definitely isn't the first thread I've seen on golfmkv or golfmk6 with similar problems either.

Anyone have more info on the Sachs clutch?

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Norsk is also experiencing issues with his non-silent kit. Southbend really needs to step up and address 1) their customer services issues and 2) a faulty product that has severely tarnished their reputation in the mk6 crowd.

I hope you're able to get your situation resolved and reimbursed for their faulty product.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
OP, I feel for you man. 2 months without your car is nuts - what were you driving in the interim. And what are you going to do going forward?

ehancock

Ready to race!
Thanks for that.

Does anyone know if this effects their "Stage 3 drop in" clutch that so many people have went with recently?

OldDirty

Ready to race!
Thanks for that.

Does anyone know if this effects their "Stage 3 drop in" clutch that so many people have went with recently?

The drop in clutch disc has significantly less opportunity for failure than the full Southbend kits. There aren't any springs on the disc to fail, no pressure plate etc. Pretty much the only thing they could fuck up is the friction material, which seems to have been fine so far. I think on the early "silent kits" they fucked up the friction material thickness......but I still think the drop in disc is a pretty safe bet since there haven't been any problems yet that I know of other than one or two people having slipping with K04 power.

I'm no expert though and I only know what I read on the forums, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Norsk is also experiencing issues with his non-silent kit. Southbend really needs to step up and address 1) their customer services issues and 2) a faulty product that has severely tarnished their reputation in the mk6 crowd.

I hope you're able to get your situation resolved and reimbursed for their faulty product.

Tried to upload the video via photobucket on iphone but FAILED.

I've been in talk with AP Tuning about this issue I am having. It really annoys me a lot! As of right now, I am saving up my $ for new SACHs SRE Clutch, and I cannot afford to have SBC clutch in my car again. I am deeply disappointed with South Bend Clutch so, it turns out their clutches are piece of junk.

Yesterday, the shifter got stuck in reverse when I tried to change the shift to 1st gear in a parking lot at bed & Bath beyond backing out of the parking spot, foot were off the brake, parking brake was off, it does move when I let the clutch out lightly so I had to reapply pressure on the clutch to get the shifter out of reverse. Same thing with First and second gear. ONEVRSIX from VWVortex has the same issues in his '09 Jetta GLI. When I am at the stop light, first gear do get stuck trying to get it out of the first gear to go into neutral or when driving in town in 2nd gear at low speed, wont move out of 2nd gear.

I emailed Jon about this. He said, it may be the transmission issue for not knowing which gear is in it now, I call that BULLSHIT. Also, I asked him about the engagement point changed, because currently point is really high and i have never experienced that before. I never launched the car or beat it up or driven hard. It is 100% Daily Driven. I drive a lot back and forth from my girlfriend's place in Maryland to my job/my parents house in West Chester, PA. Taken lot of road trips with the girlfriend. Transmission performed PERFECTLY and smooth. No issues.

Last edited:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion

What part of the Sachs' design guarantees the OP will not have the same issue with the springs popping out. Referring back to Crew's review, all the manufacturers (at the time) were using the same components as SB.

Shelling out another $1000+ on the same faulty design isn't going to make anyone happy except for the recipient of the cash.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
What part of the Sachs' design guarantees the OP will not have the same issue with the springs popping out. Referring back to Crew's review, all the manufacturers (at the time) were using the same components as SB.

Shelling out another $1000+ on the same faulty design isn't going to make anyone happy except for the recipient of the cash.

This.... It will not make me happy at all. If i want to play it safe, better off getting OEM Clutch and be bone stock on the tune.

SRT2GTI

Banned
Southbend sucks.....If I ever have to do a full replacement I'm currently thinking the Sachs route as well.

^ This

Can't stand their company and their products are garbage (IMHO).

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Ugh, this is terrible and disheartening to hear. Sorry to hear it man. Also disappointed at Southbend for not standing by the customer 100%. Top notch customer service should be expected from these companies.