GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
haydini

Drives: 2010 Volkswagen GTI MK6
DSG vs. Manual

Hello!

I'm pretty new here, and I am going to be purchasing my new Volkswagen GTI MK6 very soon. Something that has been bothering me is deciding between the DSG transmission (I love the paddles) or the manual. There is a 2010 Autobahn I found for only $20,500 and only 30,000 miles and it is a DSG. Would you recommend DSG transmission over manual, or should I wait to find a manual?

Thank you so much
haydini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
DUBPL8
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '12 CW Golf TDI, '96 Civic CX hatch
Depends, if you do a lot of commuting in rush hour I'd say the DSG would be beneficial.

Otherwise get the manual. In a performance car like the GTi a manual is a must. Plus you also need to factor in the maintenance costs of the DSG in 10k miles since DSG fluid service is at 40k.

Honestly, coming from a DSG owner, I'd wait until you find a clean manual example.
DUBPL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
CFG9000
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
The only bad thing about getting a DSG is that it will spoil all non-DSG cars for you, and you'll never want to go back
Other Stuff: 3M 35% tint all-around - Maniacs shift paddles
CFG9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Stigar
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 VW CC
Agree with above statement I've had a passat dsg and it was fun....but I like my manual better even in rush hour traffic it doesn't bother me to much maybe bc I'm used to it. IMO dsg is actually better performance wise until k04, example my friend has a Vw cc apr stage3+ dsg and I'm k04 manual and I can keep up with him pretty good bc he hasn't flashed and rebuilt his dsg to make it capable of holding that power. Shop told him to completely redo tranny to make it worth it was about $8,000. For me it's &2,000 you get the picture???
APR K04 # 45 vwr eng & tranny mounts & pendulum mount & short throw shifter/ typhoon k&n CAI/ nuespeed throttle body pipe & turbo discharge & underdrive pulley/ h&R SS coil overs/ APR DP and IC/ nuespeed CBE/nitto nt555r drag radials/ nuespeed slotted rotors & hawk brake pads/ bsh comp catch can/R8 coil packs/ spec stage 3+ clutch kit::: soon to come///apr stage 3+/stoptech 328mm bbk
Stigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '11 Shadow Blue 4Door DSG
DSG is quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Rated better in fuel efficiency as well.

If you love to shift though, get a manual.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
Test Driver
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 Golf TDI
I've personally aways had a manual, but just recently purchased a Golf with a DSG transmission and absolutely love it. Remember a DSG transmission is not really an full automatic it's a hybrid cross between a the manual and automatic. It has dual shaft and dual clutch inside. I believe gears 1,3 and reverse are on shaft one and gears 2, 4 and 6 are on shaft two. To get more information I've included a link below.

http://http://www.myturbodiesel.com/...aq-VW-Audi.htm
Test Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
quality_sound
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 4-door Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFG9000 View Post
The only bad thing about getting a DSG is that it will spoil all non-DSG cars for you, and you'll never want to go back
Categorically false. I despised my DSG. PDK sucks as well and after driving an M3 with M-DCT I ordered mine with a manual and loved every second of it. Blasting though the Italian Alps or on the autobahn rowing your own gears is far more satisfying a driving experience. To be fair, I had my GTI in Germany and make these same drives with both transmission types and unless a manual is not offered on any car in the US, I'll never go back to a double clutch. Saying you'll never go back is flat our false. Double clutch transmissions are not all they're cracked up to be, have terrible low speed driving characteristics, are expensive as all hell to repair when they fail, and with the current state of regular automatics there isn't much, if any performance benefit anymore either.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Hmm....another DSG vs. Manual debate
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads
Unitronic Stage 1 DSG Tuning

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
chinqutie
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: APR KO4 GTI, 2013 x128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
i was gonna say the same oh noes but since he's a newbie..oh well. and i won't be the douche to say use search haha
ko4 club member#14ADV.1/DPE/Akrapovic/Bilstein/Vredestein/DorbritzDesigns/Forge/SPM/034/Stoptech/P3Cars/Southbend/Peloquin/Whiteline/Hotchkis/Unibrace/Osir/OEM+
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
Using automatic climate control as justification to buy/not buy a car = STUPIDEST THING EVER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
I've found that if my pants are down around my ankles, this site moves A LOT faster..
chinqutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
haydini

Drives: 2010 Volkswagen GTI MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
Well, I had seen a few others on here already, but I figured I could include other stuff about why I am deciding now rather than just choosing between the two transmissions .

I'm a freshman in college, so I will have the car for a good while! I am not worried about being older and not wanting to have to shift. To be honest, I have never owned a manual car. I've driven 2 of them, and it felt as though I may get annoyed with constantly having to shift. Also, DSG just seemed really cool

On the other hand, I am more than likely going to modify the car a little in the future (Blow off valve, cold air intake, exhaust) and I didn't know if the DSG type transmission would be effective with these kinds of modifications.
haydini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
GTI2012
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI, Tornado Red, Autobahn
To DSG, or not to DSG

Do what I did. Find a helpful dealer and try both extensively. I went about six times for test drives, with 2 and 4 door and DSG and Manual. Then form your own position. As you can see from the answers this has been a active debate for some time and there seems to be two diametrically opposed points of view. With the DSG being such a good automatic, it really boils down to personal preference.
GTI2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
RMR
Go Kart Champion

Drives: '12 VW GTI DSG Autobahn 4 Door
Having driven manual only cars as daily drivers for over 22 years, I purchased a '12 GTI Autobahn DSG in July of this year. I wanted a manual but was never a fan of the "loose" (my opinion) feel of VW and Audi manuals (this opinion formed from having owned a 2000 A4 Avant 1.8T 5spd Manual and a 2005 TT 225hp 6spd Manual).

I bought the GTI with the DSG and I find it more appealing and involving to drive than my 6spd manual in the BMW. It's really an amazing transmission if you get into it and use it for all its worth. I would recommend the DSG to anyone. However, it helps to get the most from it if you're an experienced manual trans driver.
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
McQueen77
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
Having it to do all over again, i prob would have gotten dsg even though i love driving a standard. It is a one trick pony and theres only one way to drive it. It feels silly sometimes, always with the left foot right hand routine day in and day out, day after day after day having no other options. Theres a reason its cheaper. Im stuck with the car a long time but the next car will lack the third pedal. Ive done my time

2013 VW Tiguan S
| Dogshit Transmission | Worst Seats Ever | 1985 Interior Touches | AM/FM Radio!

McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Zach84
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011- CW GTI
I love these threads...
Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
TheWombat
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 Golf GTI 2dr 6spd Manual
This question is sort of like "blondes or brunettes," really. You can't give someone an answer for them; they have to figure it out for themselves. After 25 years of manuals, I went on a two-year hiatus with a Ford Fusion Sport 6spd auto, which was a great if relatively standard auto tranny, but couldn't shake the need for a third pedal. So I went back to the six-speed with my '12 GTI, and couldn't be happier. It's maybe the second nicest manual I've had (the best being the transmission in my 1999 Acura Integra GSR), and far and away better than the one in the WRX I used to drive.

But I know a lot of car enthusiasts who like modern non-manuals, DSG and otherwise, and there's no way you can say that's wrong. It all comes down to what you want and need, where you live, all that stuff.

The only bad thing you can do really is buy something that you feel other people think you should have, rather than buy what you really want.
TheWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
nouse4aname
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2007 Legacy GT Spec B
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Saying you'll never go back is flat our false.
I think he was referring to there no going back to a traditional automatic or cvt.
nouse4aname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
(. )( .)
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Slow
Are you buying the car to share with a female? If so get the automatic dsg.
APR Stage 2, Ultimate Racing Catless TBE, KW V2, K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake, 19x8.5 et45 Forgestar F14 Raw Finish, Whiteline 24mm F / 24mm R Swaybars, Whiteline F/R Swaybar Endlinks, 034MS Track Density Strut Mounts, 35%F, 5%R tints, Parts4Euro Tinted Sidemarker, P4E Black Grill Emblem, Full Interior Led, RacingDash License Plate LED, PIAA Xtremewhite (Xenonmatch) Foglights etc.
(. )( .) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Keeping with your need for opinions I will give you just that. However, if we REALLY want to have a general discussion about why this certain OP should pick either transmission, I think we should understand that opinions are just that. I just searched about 10 different threads and 3-4 of the were locked.....

So with THAT being said, bear with me this will be a TLDR;

I've been a die hard manual freak ever since I was young. I enjoyed rowing the gears. 4speeds, 5 speeds, and now 6speeds they're all very very fun. I drove manuals extensively and NEVER found an issue with shifting in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm THAT guy that always loved a manual even at the worst of times. My left foot was amazingly stronger than my right after rush hours in Birmingham but so what......I was a MAN that drove a MANual.

I drove my first GTI as a manual FSI and fell in love with it. HOWEVER, when I started to look for one I found the perfect low mileage at an amazing price (~$14K) but it was DSG. Having NEVER driven the DSG I managed to test drive the vehicle and fell more in love with the power, rather than the transmission. The owner told me about the DSG Recall that had to be done, so I kept that in the back on my head when I bought it.

It probably took about a good 2 months after the recall work before I appreciated the simplicity (Yes.....simplicity) of the logic and the output and the control. I was never in love with D-Mode but I enjoyed the fact that it was there on days I could just cruise and talk on the phone with my business colleagues if I needed too. The novelty wore off as quick as Stage 1 did, which was around the time I bought K04. Knowing I didnt have to buy a clutch for those power levels saved an immediate $2K which was phenomenal. Soon after I feel in love with the car again. Shifts were even quicker and manual mode felt like BOSS. S-Mode was a cracked out free for all of power, burnt rubber, and testicular growth. I love it and it was intoxicating.

Soon after K04 I found the "quirks" starting to show again which brought up my need for DSG tuning. I've never driven into the realms of actual transmission tuning because I always drove MANuals, but I took Unitronic's Stage 2 DSG tuning a go and sure enough what awesome that had left had came back with a vengeance and brought its awesome friends with. Currently, the car is awesome to drive and very very worthy of others to drive it. My wife loves the smoothness of it all and cant tell when its shifiting sometimes. She noticed the power feels more "on demand".

Overall, My choice to move to DSG was definitely not really by "choice" but more by my dream to own a GTI. The cards sort of played themselves out in the right manner. Its nice to know my wife can drive my car if I ever get hurt and its nice to know I never really have to worry about clutch troubles at these power levels.

My personal opinion: DSG is only as good as its tuning relative to the engine's power output. K04 + DSG Tune = Awesome Possum. Its no wonder that Golf R DSG's over seas are running sub 4s 0-60s and that the TT-RS is blasting 2.9s 0-60s on a similar system.

I love my DSG and I ask those who havent driven one to drive my car.
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads
Unitronic Stage 1 DSG Tuning

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
dubessa
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Snowmobile 3000
This topic will never get old, and it was definitely a major question on my mind when purchasing my car. Found this on autoblog.com and I find it describes the difference quite well.

Quote:
.............Then there's the new eternal argument, DSG versus plain old manual. A couple of facts we learned about GTI transmissions: Interestingly, unlike most cars sold in the U.S., a full 50% of GTI buyers opt for the manual (as opposed to the 90% slushbox rate in VW's other offerings). The fast shifting dual-clutch unit weighs 22.4 pounds more than the manual. That might seem like nothing (in fact, other journalists laughed at our question once the answer was given), but remember that people pay big $$$ for a Porsche GT3 RS fitted with a lithium-ion battery that saves... 22 pounds.

While largely carried over from the old GTI, the DSG now features launch control, and it's incredibly easy to use: Disengage the traction control. Flop the transmission over into Sport. Push the brake pedal in with your left foot. Floor the throttle with your right and watch as the tachometer climbs to 3,200 rpm. Then, simply dump the brake. You are treated to a bit of wheelspin and a slightly faster jaunt to 60 mph. It should be noted that you can get a whole bunch more wheelspin by dumping the clutch with the manual, though Volkswagen claims this way is slower.

So, which transmission to get? Call us Luddites if you must (Luddites!), but if your desire is a satisfying driver's car, then there is no question that the six-speed manual is the box to get. It's just more fun. Oh yes, we know that the DSG can change gears faster (VW claims 1/10 of a second) and all that, but it feels artificial. While there are dual-clutch transmissions that float our boat (hello, Nissan GT-R), in the case of the MkVI GTI, the manual transmission is the enthusiast's way to go. Which is no doubt why Volkswagen sells so many row-your-own GTIs. It's cheaper, too.

I went with manual because I'm young and am proud to say that I learned how to drive stick. It helps to keep me focused and aware when driving. And it's definitely alot of fun. If I'm still into VWs after I age a bit (which will probably be the case), I will try the DSG. But right now, living in the suburbs at my age.... having a manual seemed to suit me better.

Sorry for the long post but good luck on your choice! regardless you'll love your new GTI

IG @mk6nessa
My Build Thread
dubessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
Eswin17
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG, 2-dr, DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
Otherwise get the manual. In a performance car like the GTi a manual is a must. Plus you also need to factor in the maintenance costs of the DSG in 10k miles since DSG fluid service is at 40k.
I don't understand this. You can get more performance (read: results) out of a DSG over a manual. Also, you bring up the maintenance costs of the DSG...but if you plan on tuning the vehicle...you have to buy a better clutch for the manual. Something you do not need to do with a DSG.

edit: I'm not against manual. My next car will most likely be manual. But that because the DSG has jaded me. It is an amazing transmission. I just want to be engaged a little more.

Tags
dsg, manual