GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
mikey_g
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 Golf R
APR or Revo ... sell me

So I'm going to be pulling the trigger on stage 1, 2 or 2+ in the next few weeks on APR or Revo. This thread will serve as APR's and/or Revo's opportunity to sell me. Bashing the other isn't going to cut it either. I have shops right next door that can service either need here in Dallas. Current setup is Magnaflow CBE and VWR intake. A downpipe is part of the tune process (already purchased and en route).

So, with these mods in mind, please wow me with tune reliability, supportability, manufacturer reliability and what makes your tune the better choice. If a HPFP upgrade is needed, please explain the reason your re-map needs it and at what point.

I'm not looking for the most power possible, but the most reliable power available. Lots of opinions back and forth, I'd like to hear directly from APR and Revo directly by post or PM.

Thanks.
mikey_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
SkullV
Banned

Drives: 2010 Tiguan SE 4Motion
APR = You get to deal with Arin and the best customer service in the industry.

Revo = You have to deal with Revo.

I would check out APR and GIAC. I was just at a local dyno day that had a couple GIAC tuned Golf Rs there and they ran stronger than any of the other options.

there are dyno results on both pages of this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...esting-results
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
APR may not always have the most power, but customer service and overall reliability seem to be #1 out there. As said above though, GIAC may be something to consider as well,.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
skateboy918
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 07 VW GLI
I have REVO on my mk5 and I would vote for APR
skateboy918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
MSB065
Autocross Newbie

Drives: Red Golf VI GTI
Does APR offer map switching yet for the R??

I have a mk6 and i would take revo again, but like skullv said it depends on service in your area. The reliability argument is BS except if you can prove a certain car pulls way more timing than another on tune X. Customer support is vital with tuning, we have brilliant Revo service here but then again there's a lot going for Apr on ur side. Our APR guys charge about $500 for an intake that's why we don't use them!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
yoffer
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 12' gti w/DSG, 13' Touareg TDI Lux
Ive had Revo on my last 2 cars. I love it, im a huge supporter. But then again, nothing wrong with going with APR either.

VW Technician
yoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 AM   #7
R3vo_0816
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
I am Revo Stage 2 and will pull on any APR stage 2 with the same setup as me. That being said, The Customer service REVO has to offer is not very good. I have had APR themselves answer questions regarding my clutch slipping. questions that REVO never answered. My .02

Follow me on IG: tio_ivez
R3vo_0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
ryanrich
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 Golf 6 GTI
I'm very happy with revo and went with them because the APR support and prices in my country are terrible and revo is superb. In the US it would indeed be a tough choice, but both are great products so it would have to be whoever has better after sales support for me.

ryanrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
035GTi
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Golf GTi
I have had Revo and now have APR. I would go APR again. My APR Edition 35 makes about 30whp more than a REVO Edition 35. A local APR Golf R with stage 2+ has run a 11.6 1/4 mile. I also found that reliability with APR is excellent.
035GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
mikey_g
Autocross Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. The comments justify my confusion. They are both good, or they wouldnt be popular. Im really curious how Revo gets to stage 2 wo an HPFP but APR needs it (obviously APR dumps furl sooner with the tune) but why I guess. Im not worried about getting the HPFP if needed, but I definitely dont want a tune that runs the stock pump at max duty cycle regularly. I can also road trip to APR for the sweet deal should they offer one, but as I said both have a very convinient local presence with strong customer bases.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_g View Post
Thanks for the input guys. The comments justify my confusion. They are both good, or they wouldnt be popular. Im really curious how Revo gets to stage 2 wo an HPFP but APR needs it (obviously APR dumps furl sooner with the tune) but why I guess. Im not worried about getting the HPFP if needed, but I definitely dont want a tune that runs the stock pump at max duty cycle regularly. I can also road trip to APR for the sweet deal should they offer one, but as I said both have a very convinient local presence with strong customer bases.
Take a trip to APR and be convinced. I promise it'll be worth your while.
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
mikey_g
Autocross Newbie

And just for the record, at this point I'm probably 51/49 in favor of Revo. So it really is a toss up. The info is important and I appreciate it guys !!!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_g View Post
And just for the record, at this point I'm probably 51/49 in favor of Revo. So it really is a toss up. The info is important and I appreciate it guys !!!
PM Arin@APR or Chris@Revo and hear it from the mouth of the dragon. But I must say.....APR has never failed me and their Customer service is top notch
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
mikey_g
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
Take a trip to APR and be convinced. I promise it'll be worth your while.
I'm not gonna drive to BE sold, I'm willing to drive IF I AM sold. Does that make sense ?

Oh and Revo is in WV and the Big 12 like my TCU Horned Frogs ... they play TCU this weekend. APR is in Alabama and the SEC ... soooo, theres's that too