GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT-RS/Golf R master cylinder

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Well, someone NEEDS to be the first here. :D

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Well compared to you I'm a moron when it comes to this brake stuff. If you feel confident that the rs3 brake booster and a ttrs MC are the combo I'll start looking for the parts. The problem I have is this is our only car at the moment and we're going to try to ride it out this way till January so we don't have to finance our next vehicle so if I gamble and I'm wrong my wife may kill me lol.

ADI

Sorry, mate. Still no confirmed info about this. :cry:

I just read, if you want (or need) to swap the booster as well, you'd
need to grab the RS3's as the TT-RS booster won't fit the Golf/GTI.

FWIW, the new Audi S1 quattro also comes with the 25.4 mm MC,
while the current Mk. VII GTI and R still have the 23.81 mm one.

Does this also apply to the Mkv R32? i got a set of tt-rs brakes and wanted to install them along with the proper booster.

so best bet would be RS3 booster and master cylinder?

or would the ttrs brake booster and ttrs master cylinder work if used together to replace the r32 set up?

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
If I remember correctly the MKV R32 is using the same MC or at least the same size as the MK6 GTI. That being said I think you've got the same problem we do no one has done it yet so we're not sure of which parts to use. The right hand drive GTI over in Europe can swap the TTRS MC and Booster as a bolt on I believe, but the cars in the US use different boosters and don't have the same fit being on the opposite side of the firewall. lastly again this is all working on the assumption that I understood what I've read the RS3 Booster is rumored to fit our cars but we're still talking about using the TTRS MC. I'm guessing the TTRS has a bigger MC than the RS3 but that's just a guess. In closing I'd love to swap a Touareg MC (26mm) and booster over as that's what was originally mated to my braking system. My brakes seem to perform really well but I know that I'd be happy with a bigger MC in my car and a little less pedal travel, and the TTRS should yield that and appears to be the most likely candidate for the job so far.

One other thing, I know that this would require very precise tooling, but has anyone considered trying to have our MC bored and a new custom rod installed? I don't know what kind of tolerances there are for that but it would clearly solve the "does it fit" problem. I'm certain there is a reason though that it hasn't already been done though!

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
If I remember correctly the MKV R32 is using the same MC or at least the same size as the MK6 GTI.
True, mate.

The right hand drive GTI over in Europe can swap the TTRS MC and Booster as a bolt on I believe, but the cars in the US use different boosters and don't have the same fit being on the opposite side of the firewall.
Don't forget most European cars are LHD as US. It's just the British
who drive the wrong side. They always do things different. :laugh:

I'm guessing the TTRS has a bigger MC than the RS3 but that's just a guess.
Same dia MC on both (25,40 mm). Booster is different though.

One other thing, I know that this would require very precise tooling, but has anyone considered trying to have our MC bored and a new custom rod installed? I don't know what kind of tolerances there are for that but it would clearly solve the "does it fit" problem. I'm certain there is a reason though that it hasn't already been done though!
Very bad value to bore and MC and fit new pistons. > 20 years ago I
overhauled an MC on myself. At that time MCs were expensive and all
the parts were available separately. Today MCs are cheaper and I don't
know a vendor currently selling Ate/TRW etc. pistons and seals.
You also have to be EXTREMELY careful when assembling an MC. You
better don't do that.

Does this also apply to the Mkv R32?
Yes.

so best bet would be RS3 booster and master cylinder?
Most probably yes.

or would the ttrs brake booster and ttrs master cylinder work if used together to replace the r32 set up?
At least not from what I've read. If it doesn't fit the GTI, it also won't fit a R32.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for setting the record straight Bruce!

I can't find any parts from an rs3 online I'll keep searching though. If anyone runs across a way to source the parts post back here please, we'll see if we can make this happen in 2014 :)

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Bruce, I noticed your sig shows you've already got some rs3 bits on your car. Are you able to get rs3 parts easily? I've contacted a few local audi enthusiast shops and I'm hitting dead ends everywhere.

** Got the name of a shop here in Ohio from another forum member. I've reached out and will keep everyone posted with what I find.

Last edited:

ADI

the bruce: so looking at the chart you created on properly matched bbk, it looks like the TTRS falls into the "fits properly" with the stock master brake cylinder ( on both the GTI (22.22) and R32 (23.81) ) unless im reading it wrong?

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So a small update: I asked the shop (hstuning) not only if they could source the parts but if they could confirm fitment of the brake booster into the GTI as well as if they could confirm if the Master Cylinder would fit the stock GTI brake booster. Obviously I didn't expect much but they replied to me today and they are actually trying to get answers to all of the questions. To date this is the most help I've got from any vendor! I usually just get a sorry we don't know....

clownish

just clowning around
So a small update: I asked the shop (hstuning) not only if they could source the parts but if they could confirm fitment of the brake booster into the GTI as well as if they could confirm if the Master Cylinder would fit the stock GTI brake booster. Obviously I didn't expect much but they replied to me today and they are actually trying to get answers to all of the questions. To date this is the most help I've got from any vendor! I usually just get a sorry we don't know....

TBH I am also looking into this with them because I have the TTRS brakes installed.;) Definitely want an answer and as soon as I have a viable parts picture I'll probably take the plunge.

clownish

just clowning around
We'll I still haven't heard back from them so let me know if you here anything please!

I'll hassle over the weekend. I know that they've started some initial research and parts # gathering. I would expect it to take some time since it's unproven and we don't want to be buying parts we can't use :p

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I'll hassle over the weekend. I know that they've started some initial research and parts # gathering. I would expect it to take some time since it's unproven and we don't want to be buying parts we can't use :p

Thanks! I'm not stressing it yet, but if you've already worked with them they may be quicker to respond to you.