GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally test drove the R and cooper S! Almost sold on it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So I test drove the R yesterday. And I also test drove a mini cooper S, because I have never driven one.

First things first. Drove a 2013 with 20 miles on it and a $5000 markup :laugh: Window sticker read 42,700!

I was surprised to hear the exhaust on the outside while the dealer was pulling up the car. It sounds burbly and nice!

I Frigging LOVED the transmission!! This car is incredibly easy to drive, and its very easy to make the shifts smooth.
I didn't mind the "old" FSI, it seemed like a very smooth engine, and it idles WORLDs better than my diesel.

Here are some of the surprises:
1. The R seemed quieter than my TDI on the freeway?! dafuq!:confused:
2. It really didn't seem fast, I would have to at least go stage 1 in order to feel like this was money well spent. Which is my number one reservation with this car now.
3. The R is really quiet, even when you wind it up to 6k, you can barely hear the engine ?! I thought this thing had a soundactor!? certainly needs a bigger one.
4. Didn't seem to handle all that much better than my tdi, took some sweeping turns that I took minutes prior in my TDI and the R didn't seem like it fared better. Matter of fact the tires started howling before they did in my TDI.
5. I could tell that the dynaudio is in fact better than the base system, not by much but better for sure.
6. RNS315 has no lag compared to my RNS510!
7. Brakes on the R are much better than on my TDI (as expected)

Love the way this car looks, here is a pic of the R I drove.

Then I took off and went to the mini dealer, since I never drove one of those before.
cooper S compared to R:
Pros:
Mini definitely handles better than any MK VI period. That thing was a frigging go-kart.
GREAT Harman Kardon stereo, it doesn't even need a sub.
As much as I hate to say it... it sounded louder than the R and it felt faster.
Cons:
The transmission was a lot "notchier" than the one in the R.
TORQUE STEER! I was a bit surprised given that his car has barely 200hp
bouncy ride and slighly more road noise.
The back seat is essentially useless.

Overall the cooper is a better drivers car IMO, and it would be a blast on a roadcourse. Unfortunatly its too much of a toy. Its way too small, the back seat is useless and they have a bit of a girl car stigma which isn't ideal :laugh:
My golf trying to fit in :laugh:

Attachments

• 20121216_142336.jpg
    20121216_142336.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,135
  • 20121216_143724.jpg
    20121216_143724.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,020

AXO

Go Kart Champion
The R will get faster as the Motor breaks in. Try opening the windows and listen to the exhaust. The Golf is pretty sound tight. The R come stock with a K04 Turbo! It is Fast!

I owned a 2008 Cooper S prior to my GTI. They handle like they are on rails! I LOVED this CAR! Unfortunately They have an inherent problem with premature clutch wear. Especially if modded. Mine went with 46,000 miles. I had TBE, CAI stock tune. The dealer said my clutch failed because the way I drove it! I was insulted! A quick google search revealed Mini has defective daul mass flywheel. Mini refuses to acknowledge the problem and leaves the repair costs to the Customer! They wanted $4,000 to replace the Clutch! The Dealer held my Mini Hostage for 2 weeks. We Finally settled on a one time good will repair at $1,400. I drove it for a month and still smelled burnt clutch material. I was like Phuch this I can't afford to replace another Clutch! I Traded that weekend for the GTI. I loved My Cooper and would have been a loyal customer for years to come. I planned on purchasing the Countryman for the Wife.

I love my GTI. It is just different from the Cooper. My Mom has a CC. My Wife has a CC and I have a GTI. My teenage daughter wants a Jetta.

For the Track one word "Mini"! For Daily Driver "GTI"!

It really doesn't matter which one is faster stock. Because any car enthusiast will Mod their vehicle.

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
I drove both as well before making my decision... The mini is a nicely packaged piece of plastic in my opinion. The mini is not faster ... But if you are really interested but the R doesn't have enough power for you then the stage 1 tune and intake is all you're going to need in this car...It's also highly unlikely that your tdi handled as good as the R... Better suspension, brakes, and awd....

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Mini has great brakes as well.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Mini has great brakes as well.

They felt good. BTW I saw a JCW cooper discounted down to 35k, pricy but man those front brembos are BIG

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
They felt good. BTW I saw a JCW cooper discounted down to 35k, pricy but man those front brembos are BIG

I Do really like the JCW though.. That is a nice car and in the same price range as the R

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Personally, I'd choose the JCW over the R, even FWD vs AWD and all.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I test drove a MCS a while ago and liked it a lot. Because the wheelbase is so short, turn-in feels instant (like a go-cart). The engine's pretty torquey overall. I didn't think the ride was that bad, but I also deliberately avoided looking at cars with the sport suspension.

Overall I think it'd be a fun daily commuter. Quick steering, small dimensions, torquey engine -- all the makings of a classic cut/thrust hot hatch, and decent gas mileage. Unfortunately I hear they understeer when driven at 9/10ths and above, so probably not the best track car. I'm sure tires, coilovers, and a thicker RSB would help here. Factory LSD option would be nice, but the R56's no longer offer that from what I understand.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
I too would take a jcw over an r.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If you got the sport coupe or whatever, with the backwards baseball cap looking roof, I'd have it airbrushed with your favorite sports team logo, and then when you are feeling really saucy in the summer time, I'd stop at a DQ and have it filled/covered with ice cream.. shit would be off the hook ;)