GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Frosty631
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 White MK6 GTI
Boost Gauges

So im looking for boost gauges and its hard to envision if i want either a offset steering column one or a vent one and so on. for anyone else who has this problem is it possible for those of you who do to post pictures up of yours so we can get an idea of the look of it. I would rather the offset steering column but im not sure if its gonna be to big and just look weird
2013 White MK6 GTI | Giac Xplus | Unitronic Intake | [/color]GFB DV+ | SPM Lowering Springs | SPM Custom Exhaust | SPM Front Sway Bar 26mm | SPM Rear Sway Bar 22mm | H&R Rear Sway Bar 24mm | Eds Cherry Red LED Tails |
Frosty631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
ECS Tuning
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Modified ones
Personally I have and love the vent pod set up, here are some installed photos of the NewSouth vent kit in our MKVI -

Shop now and save during the Holiday Sale -
Volkswagen Golf VI 2.0T > Interior > Gauges

Andy
ECS Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
A_Bowers

Drives: MKVI GTI
I didn't want my vents to be blocked up. I went with the column mount and couldn't be happier.

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
A_Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
MaliciousMK6
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Tornado Red 2Dr 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bowers View Post
I didn't want my vents to be blocked up. I went with the column mount and couldn't be happier.

That looks good, ive been avoiding those bc they can block some of the instrument gauge. Do you feel like anything is being blocked? or is your normal viewing angle just fine. What setup did you go with? It looks like you used an OEM style gauge in there.
MaliciousMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
v-dug
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI APR Stg1, 07 FJ Cruiser
Funny, I JUST received my NewSouth Performance boost gauge a few minutes ago! I went with the column mount. First off, I figured it will be easier to glance down at when needed rather than glance to the side where the vent-mount is. However, that may just be personal preference as the column is the same spot I had mine mounted in my Subaru before I bought the GTI.

As for blocking, I test fitted and it looks like it will block most of the temperature gauge from my field of view, and as seen above, the tach from 7-8k rpm. All around, it doesn't look like it's going to block as much as that picture above.

Two other impressions: it's big! I was surprised, this is bigger than the boost gauge I had on my Subaru. Not a bad thing necessarily, but a surprise.

Second, it LOOKS GREAT in the interior of the GTI! This looks so much better than the aftermarket I had on the other car. Really, really looks nice in the GTI. The texture and color of the column pod aren't exactly the same as stock, but it goes all the way back to where the column sweeps up into the cluster, so unless someone is really paying attention it pretty much looks stock.

I can't speak for any of the other brands of boost gauge. But first impressions of the NewSouth are good. Now I just need to get it hooked up.

P.S. It's too bad NewSouth doesn't make a brushed aluminum ring as an option to go around the gauge; that would match up nicely with the interior of the MK6.
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post
I can't help but to notice a dude who's violently choking out his dong in front of me.

Last edited by v-dug; 12-26-2012 at 10:12 PM.
v-dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
A_Bowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousMK6 View Post
That looks good, ive been avoiding those bc they can block some of the instrument gauge. Do you feel like anything is being blocked? or is your normal viewing angle just fine. What setup did you go with? It looks like you used an OEM style gauge in there.
It blocks the full 190 degree mark on the temp gauge but nothing a small lean to the right doesn't cure.

I've been super pleased with it. And yeah I did go with the OEM one. Not the redline edition. Didn't think.it looked classy enough.

This one is perfect. To hold the cover on I used the 3M command strips cut to length on all 4 corners. It will not budge unless I am removing it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Frosty631
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 White MK6 GTI
Quote:
that was my biggest thing about the column mounted one my buddy has it on his mk4 center and looks awesome blocks nothing at all but i wasnt sure if it was going to block anything or not and from the pictures it doesnt seem bad only like 7500 and up are blocked and some of the temp gauge... thanks for the posts so far guys!
2013 White MK6 GTI | Giac Xplus | Unitronic Intake | [/color]GFB DV+ | SPM Lowering Springs | SPM Custom Exhaust | SPM Front Sway Bar 26mm | SPM Rear Sway Bar 22mm | H&R Rear Sway Bar 24mm | Eds Cherry Red LED Tails |
Frosty631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Biggee72
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2009 GTI
There's pros and cons to both spots. Just pick what looks better to you and go with it. I chose vent.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
I got the CiM vent boos gague because I didn't want it to block anything. Also, the vent still works, you're just not able to move up left/right up/down, only on/off.

2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
MaliciousMK6
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2011 Tornado Red 2Dr 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Bowers View Post
It blocks the full 190 degree mark on the temp gauge but nothing a small lean to the right doesn't cure.

I've been super pleased with it. And yeah I did go with the OEM one. Not the redline edition. Didn't think.it looked classy enough.

This one is perfect. To hold the cover on I used the 3M command strips cut to length on all 4 corners. It will not budge unless I am removing it.

Thx for the info, where did you get your setup? like gauge and pod?
MaliciousMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
A_Bowers

Quote:
Thx for the info, where did you get your setup? like gauge and pod?
New south performance directly. I think it was 174.00 for it shipped.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
OmegaArts290
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI DSG
I also have the column mounted gauge and couldnt be happier with it! ( Although my back light on it is blue from my previous mkv GTI)
KO4 Club Member #71
APR K04 / UR DownPipe / Modshack Intake / Need an Intercooler / H&R Rear Sway Bar /
Newsouth Performance Boost Gauge / Steering Wheel Colomn Mount /JL Audio Side Mount Sub /
OmegaArts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
I have a Podi offset steering wheel pod gauge and the color is spot on and I barely even notice it is there. Blocks 7-8k RPMs so no loss there although the electric motor is audible when the radio is off. Ohh well, I love it anyways as it looks stock and others think it is when they are in my car. Even the wife thinks it looks stock, and that is saying a LOT!
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
AdamSe7en
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI, 2008 CW Rabbit
When I eventually get a boost gauge, I am going to get the vent mounted one because I personally like the way that looks more.

How difficult is it to install a boost gauge?
AdamSe7en is offline   Reply With Quote