GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Carbonio vs AWE tuning intake

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
The 2 intakes are pretty similar in design... closed carbon fiber air-box with a pipe between the MAF and turbo... except the AWE is over $100 cheaper.

It sure would be nice if there was a cheaper alternative to the Carbonio's stage 2 pipe... maybe same shape but made of plastic? for $100 less?

Also... what is the cost of a replacement filter media in the Carbonio? I know that it is lifetime and cleanable, but so was the filter in my GruppeM intake. However after a couple of washes, the rubber seal on the GruppeM started peeling off... knowing that the filter was supplied by K&N I contacted K&N... but the part number was specific for GruppeM... GruppeM then charged what would be 1/2 the price of the intake just to replace the filter... CRAZY!!! So I just glued the seal back on...

Are the replacement filter costs for the Carbonio more in line with K&N or AFE'S pricing? Or do they add a big mark up like GruppeM did.

Reason I ask is because supposedly the AWE uses an OEM filter leading me to think it is either a universal K&N size or a universal AFE size... meaning you can upgrade the filter even more by using something like the different AFE filter medias.

I think the perfect intake would be one that doesn't move the position of the MAF at all... so that you could run a smoother MAF to turbo pipe with a stock air box + high flow drop in... or upgrade to a less restrictive cone filter...

In the end I may just go with the Carbonio because I already have the APR stage I software and logic tells me that the Carbonio is optimized with APR software in mind vs AWE's intake. It would be even better if there was a plastic version of the stage 2 pipe for cheaper than the carbon fiber pipe.

siagolf

Ready to race!
although they're both enclosed, i'm not sure if the AWE design utilizes the stock air scoop like the APR does which gives it a nice ram-air effect. i have the APR intake and paired with the stage 1 it's absolutely noticeable!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
There are a couple key benefits the Carbonio intake system has over our competition I'd like to point out.

1. During out testing we found the stage 1 front portion of the intake system proved almost all of the gains associated with the upgrade intake system. The stage 2 back piping helped a little more, and helps to shield against heat, however the gains associated with the stage 2 pipe were no where near the gains from the stage 1 setup compared to stock. Because of this we decided to split the system into two sections to reduce cost for the end user.

2. Some users only want power for as cheap as possible. Some want to go the extra mile and love to show off their engine. Because of this, you have the option of adding the stage 2 pipe for superior head protection, slightly more power and killer looks.

3. Because we are working with carbon fiber designing the intake system is only limited by the space proved in the engine bay. We are able to design the piping and housing with absolutely no compromise. We are not limited to off the shelf piping diameters commonly associated with inexpensive metal tubing and we are not limited by our suppliers. The carbonio system was developed to be the optimum system, and as such, you are now seeing many other manufacturers attempting to copy the ram air design.

4. Carbon fiber is a superior heat reflecting material when compared to metal and other common materials.

5. The carbonio intake system reutilizes the factory MAF system. This ensures the air entering the maf housing is straightened and always precisely metered. There are no manufacturing variances between one maf housing to another as we are not replacing the unit. This will make the ECU happy and should make your dealership happier as well.

There are many other points to bring up but I think this covers many of your questions.

----

To answer your question regarding a replacement filter, the filter is reusable and will last the life of the car, however if you ever want to replace it with another you can do so by visiting www.carboniodirect.com. Replacements are under $40!

generic83

lol wheel spin
It all boils to down to this. Its an intake. They are all better than the stock one. Some may claim to have more peak HP or whatever, but unless they are all from the same dyno, on the same car, on the same day, take it with a grain of salt.

A

Alex/AWE

The 2 intakes are pretty similar in design... closed carbon fiber air-box with a pipe between the MAF and turbo... except the AWE is over $100 cheaper.

It sure would be nice if there was a cheaper alternative to the Carbonio's stage 2 pipe... maybe same shape but made of plastic? for $100 less?

Also... what is the cost of a replacement filter media in the Carbonio? I know that it is lifetime and cleanable, but so was the filter in my GruppeM intake. However after a couple of washes, the rubber seal on the GruppeM started peeling off... knowing that the filter was supplied by K&N I contacted K&N... but the part number was specific for GruppeM... GruppeM then charged what would be 1/2 the price of the intake just to replace the filter... CRAZY!!! So I just glued the seal back on...

Are the replacement filter costs for the Carbonio more in line with K&N or AFE'S pricing? Or do they add a big mark up like GruppeM did.

Reason I ask is because supposedly the AWE uses an OEM filter leading me to think it is either a universal K&N size or a universal AFE size... meaning you can upgrade the filter even more by using something like the different AFE filter medias.

I think the perfect intake would be one that doesn't move the position of the MAF at all... so that you could run a smoother MAF to turbo pipe with a stock air box + high flow drop in... or upgrade to a less restrictive cone filter...

In the end I may just go with the Carbonio because I already have the APR stage I software and logic tells me that the Carbonio is optimized with APR software in mind vs AWE's intake. It would be even better if there was a plastic version of the stage 2 pipe for cheaper than the carbon fiber pipe.

You will have no problems if you decide to go with our intake. We've never heard of any clients having issues using our CCB with stock or any aftermarket software.

During development of our CCB Intake, we tested multiple variations before settling on the current design.

We tried intakes that only replaced the box and pre-MAF tubing, leaving the MAF and everything behind it untouched. We played around with open and closed box configurations; we angled the filter in many ways to get as much air into the filter as possible and the results were nothing to write home about. The only way we found consistent and reliable gains was to upgrade the tubing after the MAF.

Also, by upgrading the tubing from the filter to the turbo inlet we're able to provide air with a smooth pathway through the entire intake system.

We use an oiled filter from an OEM supplier but its a custom size to fit properly within our intake box. What do you mean upgrade our filter more by replacing it with an AFE media? Are not a fan of oiled filters?

We offer replacement filters for $39.95. You should never need one, but should the instance arrive just give us a call and we'll be happy to supply you with one.

Hope that helps!