GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bubbles around top of windshield?

Uberryan

Banned
So, recently I noticed some bubbling in the tint or dot matrix of the top part of the windshield. (See image below) I do have a strip of tint on the windshield under the factory top portion that extends past the AS1 line. I'm not sure if this is the cause, or if I'm looking at some sort of factory defect. I will investigate and maybe take better pictures of the area tomorrow. If the bubbles follow the area of the tint strip, I'll pin that as being the cause. However, I did notice a few spiders in my interior recently, and also a bug trapped in the front dome light housing which I removed. I'm wondering if I have a leak or something. It just seems too close to the actual roof and A pillar to be anything to do with the tint I had installed.

memorylasts

It's next to impossible to get the "bubbles" to not show unless you scraped them or put black vinyl on them before the tint.

D Darko

Ready to race!
I have the same small bubbles on the edges of my windshield. Figured it is what it is, but keeping an occassional eye on it.

Uberryan

Banned
I have the same small bubbles on the edges of my windshield. Figured it is what it is, but keeping an occassional eye on it.

Do you have any sort of tint strip on the windshield at all? If it's not related to my visor tint strip across the top of my windshield, then I'm suspecting a defect in the windshield. Perhaps the laminate coating is peeling up or detaching.

spiker369

on air, don't care
Do you have any sort of tint strip on the windshield at all? If it's not related to my visor tint strip across the top of my windshield, then I'm suspecting a defect in the windshield. Perhaps the laminate coating is peeling up or detaching.

I have the bubbling on my 2010. I don't have any tint on the windshield so I think it is just the stock stuff peeling off.. :/ looks really gross and super noticeable once you see it.

D Darko

Ready to race!

Sorry I missed this. No tint. Next time I'm at the dealer, I'm gonna look at some new ones for reference.

Uberryan

Banned
I looked at my windshield again, and it's worse, it's literally all the way around the edge of the windshield now. I think I'm going to have to have the dealer look at it, and maybe replace the windshield, because this isn't cool. Looks like an old ass cutlass windshield. Complete garbage.

E-Rocko

Ready to race!
I noticed the same thing on mine. It's always hot here, in Hawaii. I saw the same thing on a friend's mk6 too. I'm gonna ask the dealer about it, when I take it in for the 10k mile service. Hope they don't try to blame it on my tint. I have 70% ceramic on there.

Last edited:

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Tint doesn't adhere well to the area near the dot matrix; might stick in some areas, not in others.

Need to see better pics to confirm.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Does everyone realize there are 2 separate conversations going on in this thread? Is OP worried about the tint adhering to the dots (because it really will never be perfect).. OR is the OP concerned about the bubbling glass marks on the outer edge of the glass (and outside of window). I think it's the latter but let's clear this up and move forward all on the same page :thumbsup:

If you are concerned about those seemingly bubbles in the glass itself on the outer edge, have you tried claybarring them or can you feel them with a finger nail?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Oh man.......I know exactly what this is. :) Its very telling of the manufacturing process that the supplier used for the windshield.

Acoustical laminate between the two sheets of glass must be evacuated of all air in the process. There are two types (supplier confidential) of ways to do it and one of the types is cheap and effective that will cause "ice flower" bubbles to void the acoustic gel.

Replace Windshield. The bubbles can cause stress concentration areas and COULD crack the windshield. The bubbles expand with heat and can push the gel throughout the void between the two sheets of glass.

Shoddy Choice VW..................Shoddy Choice.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
FYI. I didnt mean to cause panic with that last post. Stress concentrations are likely, but often rare. Honestly, you may never see an issue ever again.