GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
DreamcastGTI

Drives: 2014 GTI MK6 - DSG
New here, just bought GTI Drivers Edition. Have couple of questions.

Hey guys,

Its pretty cool to have a dedicated GTI forum. So glad I found this place. Anyways, I bought 2014 GTI Drivers Edition (MK6). Model. The car is technically a late-run 2013 model assembled in Germany which is rare in US they say as later models were built in Mexico.

The car is phenomenal. I was car shopping after coming from 2012 Mazda 3. I had no idea I was going to buy Golf. Was seriously considering Subaru WRX and couldn't really afford Subaru WRX STI so went with the GTI. Paid 34k and some change. 32k for the car and rest was add-ons. And sale tax.

It was very hard to find this car and many dealers didnt have it esp DE and DSG model. I just got pure lucky. This is one of a kind car. I owned 2001 Audi S4 2.7BiTurbo and Audi is obv faster car but everythig else GTI takes the cake. Car is trully amazing and can't wait to enjoy years driving this car.

I have couple of questions since I'm a noob when it comes to modding and tunning cars.

I haven't tinted windows yet but will do all around % 30 visibility.
My first mod that Im interested in is lowering the car. The car is already low but would look even better if lowered. I know about coilovers and springs but at this time I can't afford coilovers so would rather go with springs and shocks. The ONLY problem of all this is, I live in Boston and roads here are not the greatest. Highways are decent for most part but other roads are just awful. Lowering the car would increase all kinds of damage ? Correct. What are pros and cons of lowering the car. Not tomention we get brutal winters. I dont get how people drop their cars so much and tuck the tires in. Unless you live in Germany or Japan Idk how people drive these GTIs with tucked in tires.

SO after lowering....my concern is tires/rims ?

This will be my personal all/season year round car. I have 18" stock rims with Pirelli tires. Because of the bad winters we get is it good idea to buy a winter set of tires/rims ?

Lastly, exhaust. Im not sure where to start as I'm not an expert. I would like some more noice coming out when the car is idling. And obviously on take off.

Everything else I'm keeping as is besides some cool emblems here and there and some front windshield sticker.

(Stock) for now. 2014 Golf GTI Drivers Edition MK6 (DSG)
Carbon Steel Gray Metallic
Miles: 1000 (will update every 1000 miles).
DreamcastGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
MacsGTI

Drives: 2013 GTI Drivers Edition GTI
Check out Modded Euros. If you want entry level coilovers....the Solo Werks are their most popular at around $500. As far as exhaust, I could tell you what I am going to run but, just go to youtube and see what sound you are in to. I am in the same boat as you as far as modding this car...I come from running Mustangs and a Challenger. Just look around and see what you like. Also, Modded Euros has a live chat feature if you have some questions.
MacsGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
ducatiti
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2014 Wolfsburg
Congratulations and welcome to the forum

I'm sorry to say but you overpaid for your car. Same model 2014 being sold lately at around $26K while the 2013's at around $23-24K. I recently purchased my Wolfsburg at $22.3K.
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #4
TimFell
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: VW GTI MKVI
Catback would be a decent start for an exhaust
TimFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW GTI DSG
DG springs. VW branded, made by eibach. Can be purchased at VW dealerships. will lower your car 1.5 inches or so. Check my build thread for pics.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
cobie56
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '14 Carbon.Stl.Gry 6SpMan. GTI D.E.
I cannot tell u what to do with ur car (i have the same one) but before making any mods that lower the car or increase the ride firmness, id think long n hard. For those owners living where winters are not so harsh and roads prett good, lowering is all well n good. I, however live in a climate similar to ur and due to freezing and thawing all winter our surface streets are pretty much crap. I drive a lot in NY, VT and Quebec and local n secondary roads suck n take a winter beating. With all the pot holes, uneven, repaired, bumpy surfaces i cannot imaging lowering my car and still maintaining ride quality and clearance. Just puttin that out thers. Welcome n good luck in ur decision
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
jjohns1508
Oval Champion

Drives: 2014 GTI Drivers edition 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the forum

I'm sorry to say but you overpaid for your car. Same model 2014 being sold lately at around $26K while the 2013's at around $23-24K. I recently purchased my Wolfsburg at $22.3K.
just bought my 2014 DE also, paid 30k, but its a manual. I also live in Florida (less tax)
although I haven't installed them yet. I bought the drivers gear springs. Also looked at the VWR, their both supposed to get rid of about half the wheel gap.
this site is great, spend many hours reading the posts. Before long you'll be saving for a K04 upgrade.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
snowsled
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '13 Wolfsburg GTI
I am not so sure I would be comfortable dropping my car at all. In Colorado, in the mountains, rocks on the road are a very real problem, and I have to drive some gravel roads. You could probably pull of the DG springs in the city though, excellent compromise I think.

Snowy slippery roads are also reality for 4-6 months of the year. My car came with the Dunlops. Most people don't care for them much but they did perform admirably this past winter. The all seasons worked so well that I ditched plans for snows temporarily. What got me was my wife bumped a curb on a slippery day. It bubbled the tire in two places on the sidewall. The lesson I learned from this is that 18" wheels look great on the car but, I will go with 16's or 17's next winter to buy a little more sidewall. Considering that you likely face potholes on a regular basis, 18's in the winter might be a problem for you too.

So I would like to have dedicated winter and summer wheelsets. I would like a set of 17" Denvers for winter with studded Hakka's and maybe some PS2s for the Lagunas in the summer.

My guess is that by the time winter rolls around, there may not be much left of your original tires if you have been enjoying the car, especially after you go Stage 1 Start the planning now!
snowsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
DaveSTR
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 STi / 2014 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I cannot tell u what to do with ur car (i have the same one) but before making any mods that lower the car or increase the ride firmness, id think long n hard. For those owners living where winters are not so harsh and roads prett good, lowering is all well n good. I, however live in a climate similar to ur and due to freezing and thawing all winter our surface streets are pretty much crap. I drive a lot in NY, VT and Quebec and local n secondary roads suck n take a winter beating. With all the pot holes, uneven, repaired, bumpy surfaces i cannot imaging lowering my car and still maintaining ride quality and clearance. Just puttin that out thers. Welcome n good luck in ur decision
OP good advice here also you need a dedicated set of wheels and WINTER tires. DO NOT roll on anything less in the winter. Protect yourself and your car. All season are not good enough and summers are dangerous. Do some research and hit up TireRack.com
Old 05-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
Nitron
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post

You get a cookie for being the guy who says "you've overpaid and I got such a better deal". Who cares. He obviously likes the car, and he's lucky to find a leftover Wolfs edition. I'd rather shell out more for an MK6 than get the MK7.
Nitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Heresy64
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG / Shadow Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamcastGTI View Post
The car is technically a late-run 2013 model assembled in Germany which is rare in US they say as later models were built in Mexico.
Who told you that lie? All Mk5 and Mk6 GTIs were built in Germany. The new Mk7s will be built in Mexico.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
Mexicun GTIs will fall apart at the first slam of the driver's door. FACT. Good thing you got that Mk6.

$34k? You're rich. Thasssa A3 Quattro territory.

congrats either way! Enjoy the ride!
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
ralphykid67
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 CW 4DR-MT
-DG Springs are your best bet for a modest drop and improved handling. Stiffness will increase on bad surfaces but worth it for the look and improvement in handling elsewhere.

-Winter tires are a must in New England. I highly recommend a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires. That way you can swap them yourself and have the added bonus of keeping your summer rims in great shape (won't be exposed to salt and ice). You can buy steelies or another set of cheap rims off of tire rack and they will ship them with the tires mounted. Easy as can be.

See the Wheels/Suspension sub-forum for heaps of info on both of these topics.

USE GOOGLE SEARCH! The search function on this forum sucks. Google " golfmk6 forum xxxxx" and you'll find what you're looking for!
ralphykid67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
dg springs r ur best bet. i live in dc suburbs n the roads are just as terrible as boston, the closer the dc the worse they are. i have dg springs myself n theyre simply unbearable on beaten roads, that changed until i switched from dunlops (had couple blowouts due to them) to michelin pilot as3 n theyre literally night n day, i can go over beaten patches no problem n wont gringe myself everytime i head into dc