GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Updated a closer look at the springs.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
Clutch
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Black 2010 GTI 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaGTI View Post
I can't hear any real difference in the linked videos between the CM fx350 and the stage 2 daily from SB on my iPad.Anyone know if that's the same in the real world? I have the money ready for either the DXD SB stage 2 daily or the CM fx250. I've ready every thread so far but haven't made my decision yet. Holding power appears to 400 and 390 ft lbs between the two so grip should be pretty close so the difference if any I'm thinking may be the sound.
These are the two i'm considering as well. However, I'm pretty sure HSTuning used an Exedy disk in thier stage 2 install since it was so early on, so the sound levels might closer represent the stage 3 daily kit. They've said a couple times the stage 2 daily with the SB disk is a bit louder.

The SB Exedy disk setup sounds quietest, but the indoor recording is not comparable to the outdoor videos for the FX350.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #17
Hulman100
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Black Mk6 2dr MT
made a video of the southbend stage 2 revision 2 in my car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAcxbu-If0

gear lash at idle is almost nonexistent most of the time, chatter at takeoff and gear lash at low speeds is pretty noticeable.

all in all im very happy with the clutch and its performance

however its not perfectly 'silent' as i have seen advertised
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 6mt
Thanks for the vid. It seems very quiet from the vid.

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Mustache rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
lilfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulman100 View Post
made a video of the southbend stage 2 revision 2 in my car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAcxbu-If0

gear lash at idle is almost nonexistent most of the time, chatter at takeoff and gear lash at low speeds is pretty noticeable.

all in all im very happy with the clutch and its performance

however its not perfectly 'silent' as i have seen advertised
Thanks for posting that. I added it to the OP.

It really doesn't sound bad at all. I do notice the gear lash your referring to in the video at low speed. Hard to hear from the video, I bet more noticeable in person. I imagine the noise cancelling features on your camera are phasing that out.

I'm really happy you got on vid a take off. It looks VERY smooth. That is something that is important to me. I wonder if gear noise at low speed/deceleration goes away after time.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
Hulman100
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Black Mk6 2dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post
Thanks for posting that. I added it to the OP.

It really doesn't sound bad at all. I do notice the gear lash your referring to in the video at low speed. Hard to hear from the video, I bet more noticeable in person. I imagine the noise cancelling features on your camera are phasing that out.

I'm really happy you got on vid a take off. It looks VERY smooth. That is something that is important to me. I wonder if gear noise at low speed/deceleration goes away after time.
take of is definitely very smooth, the clutch isnt grabby at all. i have about 500 miles on the clutch now, mostly highway miles, but the lash seems to be better than when new
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
lilfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulman100 View Post
take of is definitely very smooth, the clutch isnt grabby at all. i have about 500 miles on the clutch now, mostly highway miles, but the lash seems to be better than when new
I'd like to see a photo of the new revision... wonder what exedy did differently.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
Clutch
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Black 2010 GTI 6mt
Quote:
I'd like to see a photo of the new revision... wonder what exedy did differently.
Stage 2 shouldn't be the Exedy disk at this point. Here's a pic of the new stage 2: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.p...7&postcount=14

You already have pics of the stage 3 Exedy disk above (though your first revised disk pic is of a Sachs disk)
APR Stg 2 | Carbonio Stg 1 | SPM Street DP | Stern Mid Brace | SuperPro LCA Rear Bracket | SB Stg 2 Endurance (4 spring) | StopTech SP pads | TyrolSport Caliper Stiffening Kit | Dust Shield delete | R8 Coilpacks | Super Sports on Denvers
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #23
D Darko
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 GTI: Black/4dr/6spd/Dynaudio
Quote:
My understanding (from speaking with Southbend) while trying to decide what clutch I would go with is they did the re-design and Exedy took interest. Exedy then took the SB design and made their own version. Southbend tested it, and found it held more than theirs and decided to offer the Exedy unit in the Stage 3 kits.
APR Stage II v1.2, APR Downpipe, Carbonio (w/Modshack support), Southbend DXD Stage 2 Endurance (Revised and Cryo'd), Peloquin LSD, Tyrolsport Deadset Kit, BSH Insert & Pendulum, Dieselgeek Short Shift Kit, APR/Hotchkis Sways F/R, Unibrace UB, p3cars Digital Boost Gauge, OEM Rev 'D' Diverter, OEM 9w7 Bluetooth, OEM LED R Tails, Smoked Sidemarkers, Tint (35/50)
"Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"
D Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #24
lilfleck

Ahhhhhh, so Stage 3 uses exedy, Stage 2 is redesigned with four springs instead of 6. Interesting.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
lilfleck

Interesting update from Mike Hood:
Quote:
Ok I just talked to Andy the owner of South Bend on the phone. He says if the same pressure plate is being used it does need to be reset and also need to make sure the friction surface on the pressure plate does not have any high spots or burn spots.

He said that their drop in disk is really meant to be used with a brand new stock pressure plate.
So the drop in disc doesn't need to be reset as long as the pressure plate looks good.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
Dadasracecar
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Mkvi gti 4dr 6mt
One of the pix in the op is described as a revised SB exedy but it has a Sachs label on it.

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, tracked frequently.
Dadasracecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #28
lilfleck

Added some awesome vids from Dadasracecar on the new revision of South Bends Stage 2 Endurance Silent!!