GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #43
Jcap287
FIA GT Champion

Drives: candy white gti
I just purchased the CM fx400 6-puck
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #44
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydknot View Post
I am returning the drop in disk and I am having Jon at SB next day a cryo'd Stage 2 endurance full kit. So put me in for a Cryo'd 2013 SB Stage 2 Endurance Silent, maybe add the year to it and see if SB has maybe turned it around.
Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcyberbob View Post
Great thread.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I just ordered the fx350! Will report back with a review and impressions when it comes and in and gets installed!
Nice! used the CTS Turbo coupon code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiito View Post
South Bend Stage 3 drop in here with K04 almost through the recommended break in period. I'm also living in Mexico where it's mostly stop and go traffic in my area. Engagement feels completely OEM with slightly higher engagement. Bowers says it only gets better with use, but I can't really see how. I'll post about how it holds K04 power once I get through breaking it in.

Thanks for the PM Hyde
Added, you're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
Had a SB Stage 3 clutch. It blew during the later part of the summer. On a stage 4 now. Not a huge difference in drivability going to the 4, but getting to the point where I don't like driving the car when there is a lot of traffic(probably due as much to the throttle lag or whatever it is called as it is to the clutch though).
Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousMK6 View Post
Im glad this started, too many smaller threads with broken up info, Ive purchased a FX350 kit using OEM DMFW. PM me, Lou, or JT64 for details on the best deal for CM kits!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustache rash View Post
I about to pull the plug on the cm fx350 w/smf.

Thanks for this thread
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT64 View Post
Great idea HYDE.
Gracias.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #45
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

TTT, updated
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #46
Thumper
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 15 Audi S3/'15 Audi S4/'15 328dx SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff43 View Post
When there's a problem, people are always vocal; when something just works, a lot of times the majority are silent.
Very important point. There are some of us that find good solutions or products we love and run out and scream it from the rooftops to help and share with everyone. The vast majority of people only speak up when something exploded or came out of the box in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydknot View Post
The stock disk was still thicker that the replacement and there seemed to be very little wear on it. After spending hours trying to reset the adjustment ring on the stock PP we said F it.
This was a very interesting read. Certainly lends even more weight to what I have always said. This isn't a parts strength problem (since failures spread across all power levels and mileage) but a PARTS or install issue. When you have a slipping clutch after 20k miles and you pull it and find no glazing or abuse on the disc, that says something.

HYDE asked me to speak up here as well, but I am still stock clutch at 11k miles which is about equally split between Stage 1 and Stage 2. And I plan to stay stock clutch until it DOES slip cause I want to see how long it will last to add that info to our database.

This thread is certainly added to my subscriptions.
2015 Alpine White BMW 328dX Touring M-Sport
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #47
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Thumper thank you so much for your input!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #48
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

waiting for Allset to chime in here...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #49
Halvie
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2010 Penalty Box
Guess I would also add that for some reason the chatter is less noticeable with the stage 4. It isn't the silent version, so really not sure if I am just more use to it or if it is because the clutch is much newer.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #50
Dom
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '11 MK6 GTI
Hey HYDE!
Yes i did, gave clay a call and he took care of me!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #51
fraydknot
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 MKVI Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Very important point. There are some of us that find good solutions or products we love and run out and scream it from the rooftops to help and share with everyone. The vast majority of people only speak up when something exploded or came out of the box in pieces.

This was a very interesting read. Certainly lends even more weight to what I have always said. This isn't a parts strength problem (since failures spread across all power levels and mileage) but a PARTS or install issue. When you have a slipping clutch after 20k miles and you pull it and find no glazing or abuse on the disc, that says something.

HYDE asked me to speak up here as well, but I am still stock clutch at 11k miles which is about equally split between Stage 1 and Stage 2. And I plan to stay stock clutch until it DOES slip cause I want to see how long it will last to add that info to our database.

This thread is certainly added to my subscriptions.

I tuned mine stage 1 at 1200 miles and it started slipping at 24,000.
If you go to Sachs performance sit they don't sell adjustable PPs with any of their performance stuff. I'm sure there is a reason.

I will keep you all posted on my experience
fraydknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #52
mdhollis
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: S3
Another good thread hyde.....

fyi, my southbend clutch is a non-silent stage 2 endurance w/ flywheel
mdhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #53
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 6mt
What's everyone's feelings on this thread: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33625

Basically the clutchmaster kits don't include a floating spline carrier, just like all the failed southbends. Is it a matter of time until we see springs popping out of their discs too?

The new revised Southbend silents do feature a floating spline carrier. I assume the have updated the problem with the marcel springs which were too thick...hence the revision, but have no concrete evidence.

Thoughts?

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Mustache rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #54
fraydknot
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 MKVI Black
Quote:
Here is my dilemma.

Southbends revised silent stage 2 vs clutchmasters fx350 both with smf

HSTuning price for the Southbend is $1075 ringer for the fx350 is $1066 (basically same)

Which should I go with and why?
I would call south bend directly because you want the newest stock. Also what I got was the endurance stage 2 for 1200

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Diesel Geek Short Shifter and a K&N drop in
fraydknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #55
mdhollis
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: S3
Quote:
What's everyone's feelings on this thread: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33625

Basically the clutchmaster kits don't include a floating spline carrier, just like all the failed southbends. Is it a matter of time until we see springs popping out of there discs too?

The new reviesed Southbend silents do feature a floating spline carrier. I assume the have updated the problem with the marcel springs which were too thick...hence the revision, but have no concrete evidence.

Thoughts?
I really think a lot of the Southbend stuff got blown out of proportion. Sure clutches failed, and given the labor involved in replacing a clutch it is a major PINA. But a lot of people run Southbend with no issue. I read that thread a while back and others, but the fact is nobody is going to start a thread that gets a lot of traction about how great their Southbend clutch is and they have no issues with it. The disasters are what we pay attention to and are what stick in our minds.

I really don't have a answer for you when it comes to the floating spline carrier, but I know the silent clutch is designed differently. The clutchmasters kits aren't a silent design correct? Maybe it's better to compare the non-silent kit to clutchmasters.

PS........ I'm knocking on wood right now lol.
mdhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #56
JT64
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Everything
Quote:

Basically the clutchmaster kits don't include a floating spline carrier, just like all the failed southbends. Is it a matter of time until we see springs popping out of their discs too?

The new revised Southbend silents do feature a floating spline carrier. I assume the have updated the problem with the marcel springs which were too thick...hence the revision, but have no concrete evidence.

Thoughts?
So which one are you going with?
JT64 is offline   Reply With Quote