GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Okay I've got a lot to say about this thread. HYDE, thanks for pointing me here.

What's so great about this thread is that HYDE is a statistician, so he's prepared to bring meaning out of numbers from populations of data. Blackbelts do this by learning their system ahead of time and designing their experiments so that the numbers validate theories. I want to help by asking the right questions so that someone stumbling on this thread can say, "I want comfort with enough capability to hold Stage 2" and HYDE can present them with their options.
Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcap287 View Post
I just purchased the CM fx400 6-puck
Oh wow, did this thread help you? Where did you purchase from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhollis View Post
Another good thread hyde.....

fyi, my southbend clutch is a non-silent stage 2 endurance w/ flywheel
Thank you! Updated the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Hey HYDE!
Yes i did, gave clay a call and he took care of me!
Oh wow, glad you guys are saving money!
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #58
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT64 View Post
So which one are you going with?
Dude, I don't know....

I keep going back and forth. Clutchmasters seem great but without the floating spline carrier, I fear it's just a matter of time until we see the same failures. They have not been run long enough IMO

The silent Southbend seems to have all the right ingredients, except for the failure rate.

If we assume Southbend learned from all the problems, then they might be the best choice.

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Mustache rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #59
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustache rash View Post
Dude, I don't know....

I keep going back and forth. Clutchmasters seem great but without the floating spline carrier, I fear it's just a matter of time until we see the same failures. They have not been run long enough IMO

The silent Southbend seems to have all the right ingredients, except for the failure rate.

If we assume Southbend learned from all the problems, then they might be the best choice.
You're right a definite dilemma....at the end of the day you will have to take a shot at one of them. If you stay K04 or less, go with the south bend drop in disc. If you want the LWFW go for the FX350 or less. I drove an FX250 and it was hella smooth. FX300 was very quiet and smooth as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #60
Dom
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '11 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Dude, I don't know....

After speaking with clay, he said hes been running the FX350 for a while - hes selling a product that is working great in his car and I believe for what I want with my car, in terms of performance and longevity, i made the right choice with the fx350 and im hoping I get many miles of use from it.

Regarding the floating spline carrier, ill let someone more tech savvy answer that one..
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #61
U-20T
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: BT GTI4Motion
FX400 6 puck, 20,000miles, it's my daily and it has a lot of power. Not a single slip in the clutch but the car is very good at destroying tires.
U-20T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #62
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
After speaking with clay, he said hes been running the FX350 for a while - hes selling a product that is working great in his car and I believe for what I want with my car, in terms of performance and longevity, i made the right choice with the fx350 and im hoping I get many miles of use from it.

Regarding the floating spline carrier, ill let someone more tech savvy answer that one..
FX350 is next for me if my South Bend disk slips at K04 over the next few months.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #63
Dom
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-20T View Post
FX400 6 puck, 20,000miles, it's my daily and it has a lot of power. Not a single slip in the clutch but the car is very good at destroying tires.
Good to hear! Better to be destroying tires then clutches
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #64
Dom
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
FX350 is next for me if my South Bend disk slips at K04 over the next few months.
It seems like such a great choice, with myself and many choosing it im sure there will be enough resources for any newcomers that need to be sold on it! Im wondering how it will be after say 5,000 miles. Im sure it will hold great and smooth out, and i just cant wait to give a review after its in!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #65
JT64
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Everything
Quote:
Dude, I don't know....

Yeah I analyzed it all to death, But in my opinion clutch masters seems like they've made clutches to better suit our cars & I'm sure they took what wasn't working with others companies clutches to make something that works better. Did you read Benders thread on the full face FX400 http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43188 Might at least help you decide on which brand to go with, It did for me.
JT64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #66
fraydknot
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 MKVI Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
You're right a definite dilemma....at the end of the day you will have to take a shot at one of them. If you stay K04 or less, go with the south bend drop in disc. If you want the LWFW go for the FX350 or less. I drove an FX250 and it was hella smooth. FX300 was very quiet and smooth as well.
I don't necessarily agree on going with the drop in disk. If you do it it may work out fine for you but I honestly feel that the pressure plate is the failure when you're dealing with the stock setup. But just my opinion from first hand experience....... as my car is still sitting on my friends lift. LOL

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Diesel Geek Short Shifter and a K&N drop in
fraydknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #67
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydknot View Post
I don't necessarily agree on going with the drop in disk. If you do it it may work out fine for you but I honestly feel that the pressure plate is the failure when you're dealing with the stock setup. But just my opinion from first hand experience....... as my car is still sitting on my friends lift. LOL

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
What about the pressure plate signals to you that its weak?
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #68
Jcap287
FIA GT Champion

Drives: candy white gti
Batman: ‎A hero can be anyone. Even a few vendors doing something as simple and reassuring as having a group buy so that people with slipping clutches can purchase them at a discounted price, to let them know the world hadn't ended.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #69
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post
What about the pressure plate signals to you that its weak?
everything.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #70
SpaceyJacey
Oval Champion

Drives: 2016 Golf R
For my previous MKV GTI K04 TSI, I bought a SouthBend Stage 3 Silent Daily with SB flywheel (KTSIF-SS-O-PD). Long story, short version... I had it installed by an excellent VW tech, broke it in properly, and it started randomly sticking gears and randomly unable to shift into or out of all gears. This was not an installation issue as we tried everything, I believe it was either defective or a design issue. I was extremely unhappy with South Bend's complete lack of give a shit and, based on this experience, their attitude, and huge waste of $1750+, will never purchase anything SouthBend again. I know some others have had good luck with SB products. I believe you.

tl;dr: SouthBend, Will not buy again, do not recommend.
SpaceyJacey is offline   Reply With Quote